• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

info about url

Hi, I will be heading up to url this weekend with my wife for our first trip to the area. I am not asking for any magic spots or miracle baits, I do my own leg work usually to find fish and get on them, although any info. would be helpful.
The main thing I need help with is where is the best place to get on the lake at, and be able to get bait, gas and food. I was hoping to do some pike fishing during the day and hopefully catch a couple nice slabs; more-so for my wife than me, I'm happy just to go out and fish, but I would like to show her the fun of catching a few nice sized fish. Any info about the lake would be much appreciated. thanks.

the west wind bar right in waskish has great food gas,bait,tackle and roads to the crappie holes.

I've always had good luck going out of Roger's and Jerry is always very helpful there. From my experiences on URL, once evening sets in, if you are not on top of crappies, move until you are. Don't wait for them to come to you. Move every half hour or so until you find fish. You don't have to move very far, I usually go about 100 yards. Once you find them, you can usually work a few fish even if the bite is slow. I've done well with red glow jigs and powerbait wigglers when they are being picky. I've never had to move more than 4 times in an evening to find active fish, the the fewest I've caught in about a dozen nights is 6. Good luck up there and I hope the wife enjoys it!

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Sparky,
I can't give you much considering this past weekend was my maiden voyage to URL, but we were having fun and catching a few crappies, walleyes and perch and even a nice Northern to boot. We went out of Hudec's and pretty much went straight west about 5 miles. You will see the houses as of sunday afternoon they almost appeared to be in a line going North/South. We stayed out of the crowds and came home with 19 for the weekend between two guys. I am sure they are getting them better than that somewhere but it was plenty of fun for me, I can give you GPS coords. if you want. Good Luck and catch a few, hope its warmer for you than it was last weekend!!

Sparky,

In my experience, it doesn't much matter where you access the lake. There are fish everywhere on the lake and just need to be located. Hudecs, West Wind, Rogers are all good for keeping up the roads, bridges and such. Some people will swear by one access point and that's fine...my point is that there really isn't a wrong place to get on the lake.

I believe that the three places mentioned above all have bait, too, but perhaps some others here can confirm that. Gas? I guess I always fill up in Blackduck (where I usually stay) before I go out.

West Wind has good food and is a nice place to stop before, during or after you're on the ice. Good people and a good burger.

Poutmaster has it right.....if you are not catching fish, move! I usually don't give a spot more than 20 or 30 minutes if it is not producing. By not producing, I mean that it's been that long since you've caught or marked fish. The only time I sit around and wait is maybe during the day when it's time for lunch, a snack or just hanging out for a little break.

One word of advice....if you have a GPS, mark the coordinates of the reservation line and steer clear of that. The coordinates have been posted here before, so page back to find them.

Hey Ceasarfishinguy im also hopefully making my maiden voyage to URL. I havent any idea where to start. Whats the chances i could get some coordinates?? It would sure help to have a starting point. Thanks. If you would be so kind my email is [email protected]

Oh yeah did you ever try tipups for pike?

I tell you I had fun with my brother on my first voyage to URL! I would love to maybe make one more trip yet this year if I can convince him to go with me. If I speak with him, I will let him know that a couple of you are looking for those coordinates. Good luck!!

As far as the tip-ups, yes we did try them on Friday and did not get one Northern, only one pout. It was really cold though and we didn't go out and clean the hole of ice like we should of. My brother caught the Northern on 4 lLB test and it went about 15 pounds. We did have three others on but two got off at the hole and one bit us off right away. I think the tip-ups are your best bet, it was just too **** cold for us at 5 to 10 below (that is without the windchill with the 15 - 25 miles per hour wind). Good luck!

Sparky2 & James-walleye,

Forgive me for not replying right away I went to email both of you the coords. but realized I left my GPS in Caesarfishinguytoo's truck, I will be in contact with him in the next day and hope to get you the grid by Thursday! My apologies!

Caesarfishinguy,

Making the trip next weekend, (25th) with three URL virgins and want to make sure we hit at least a few fish. Those coord's would help cut down search time. Thanks in advance. My email is below.

------------------
Good Luck!

Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
[email protected]

Hopefull you all realize that week old cordinates are just that. A week old. It is the patterns of good reports and the flow of the biggest crowds that a person has to watch. I have been watching this topic and I would guess that those cordinates are going to place you right where the "crowd" flowed to last Monday/Tuesday. frown.gif The hard house's move at least once a week to escape the portables and the noise. Most times moving to a place that does not have any people so it is quite. Then the portables move to where the hard house's moved to thinking that is the "hot bite" and chase the fish away from there too. Again and again and again all winter. Basicly we all end up chasing our tails all winter. smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Kelly, I'm glad you mentioned that because I think you are absolutley correct. You know this better than I, but I have never thought that URL has a magic spot. Those fish move continuously due to pressure, noise, weather and forage. Sure, last week's coordinates might hold fish this week, but fish could just as easily be elsewhere (and probably are).

The only GPS coordinates I ever worry about are for the reservation line, the bridge over the ridge and the access point.

i don't even need the gps to find that spot! it's more like a homing device smile.gif

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jigglestick!......jigglestick