• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Those 2 deep holes on red lake...

Swill

I was checking out the URL map and wow there is two really deep holes on the map. One of the holes is west of Hudac's and the other is in the southern part of the lake maybe a little west of Rogers resort. Both look like a long drive but I want to try fishing them. Has anyone been out that far? Is it safe? Is it worth it?

I'm looking at the map and do not really understand what you are seeing. Once a person hits the deeper water with a mud bottom it stays about the same depth. I know the map shows things that my tape measure doesn't. I believe that to make the map they only took a sonar sounding every 1/4 mile. The sonar recorded mud bottom differently then a harder bottom.
Maybe someday the DNR will finish their 30th mapping of Mille Lacs and do the 1st URL map. What we have is from the Red Lake Band that they did with a federal grant.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

I don't have it in front of me right now....but I found those two holes in the new Sportsman's Connection lake map book for the Bemidji / Grand Rapids area. The MN DNR site doen't have a map listed on there site so I can't send anything but I swear these are two large holes. I think the northern one got to 35 feet and the lower one was in the mid 20s. I you get a chance to check out the map book they stand out. Heck they are the only holes listed on the lake!!! I will have to pick up a copy of the book. I found them on the web at www.sportsmanconnection.com
Do you have that book?

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. The Sportman's Connection Map Book shows URL with two deep holes...

I am sorry to inform you that this map is INCORRECT. Their are not 2 holes that reach 35 and 25 feet. Max depth on URL is 14 ft.

PCG

wrong huh?...shoot...Any ideas why red is such a late bite?
I wish someone checked those books before they published that inaccurate info.
Ohh well back to the night bite in 12 feet...

My GUESS as to why it's a late bite is the fact that it is very shallow. Even with the stained water conditions the fish are getting quite a bit of light down there, especially with minimal snow on the ice.

PCG

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Those arent holes its the Mothership looking for Mama Cass.

Here we go again. Down, ST, down boy!

On those Sportsman's Connection maps, even the ones where the contour info is generally accurate, I only use them to figure general areas when planning a trip.

If Fishing Hot Spots makes a map of the lake I'm fishing, I always pick up one of those for the real work on the ice. They're a lot better than the SC ones.

Of course, I can't recall seeing a Hot Spots map for URL, either. Are they out there, and do they contain the imaginary holes, uh, I mean Motherships, too?

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-31-2002).]

I contacted the Sportsman's Map company and they did say the red lake map is incorrect. Darn... But they are going to fix it..