• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener Reports

Lets hear how everyone did on the opener in the area. I didn't fish around here but had a really tough opener. Wet, cold, no fish. Now thats walleye fishing at its best.ScottS

Whew, IMO this is the worst opener I have ever been through. A resort owner at Leech Lake said this was the worst opener in 45 years. And I believe it. I fished at the Hyw. 22 bridge on Horseshoe. That had more traffic than hyw. 94 during rush hour smile.gif. I did luckly go to the **** in Cold Spring, and I caught a fish "fun fish" to help me out. Just a few carp, catfish, and bass. I dont know where the Bass came from, but it was fun. I almost kept the cat too. But anyways, I had about as much luck as you Scott. frown.gif

We fished the Hwy. 22 bridge as well from 5 AM until around 8:30. Not a single bite. We then trolled horshoe with Lindy's and crawlers/leeches. No bites. Finally ended up having the buffet at Andy's around 10:30. Pretty miserable opener. Lots of inconsiderate boaters out. One guy we saw was wide open until about 20 feet from the bridge and about 30 boats. Hopefully going to get out a couple of nights this week and try again if the weather stays decent.

Chris

Opener on Big Birch was very slow. Got out at about 7am. Not too many people out. We popped a nice walleye after about an hour fishing and also lost one. Thought it might be a decent day but then the weather rolled in and the bite just shut down. WE fished until about 6 and manged one northern for the rest of the day. Real slow. Everyone we talked to had the same story. One of the worst openers ever, no fish and terrible weather. Sunday we only fished a few hours. Caught a 17 inch smallie, released of course and that was it. Hopefully it can only get better. Oh yeah, the walleye we caught was still milting. Will be up on Mille Lacs next week and hopefully it will be better!

Say zamboniman56368 is Andy's pretty good. I heard they have a pretty good buffet. Just curious.

We opened on rice at midnight, trolled for a while had a few hits but nothing in the boat. The water temp was 46 degrees. We tried live bait rigging and I got 2 bullheads, thats it for eight hours of fishing. I think we would of caught a few walleyes if would would of stayed on one spot and slip-bobbered the whole time. But we were running a gunning like always. I hope the water temp goes up soon. AJ

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Fished opening day on the HORSESHOE chain, the weather was tough. Fished from 4.30 a.m to 3.00 p.m saturday, managed five walleyes 17-24 inch fish. The key to the chain is forget the shad raps right now the water is only 48 degrees. The walleyes are staged in depths of 10-18ft in the river channels. I had to really slow down and hover over the fish. Key presentation was a lindy rig and leech.

Andy's is a small restaurant located inside of Southside Gas and Bait in Richmond. Excellent breakfast buffet Saturday's and Sunday's. They also now have a Friday fish and shrimp buffet that is pretty darn good.

Chris

Phew, glad that the opener is over!! It can
only get better from here on. We fished the
22 bridge Friday night=zippo, Saturday mid-day same spot,full roof and side windows on/buddy heater on high,were fairly comfortable,came up with a decent smallmouth
or two.Retreated back to warmth of the cabin!!Sunday tried the 22 and 71 bridges,as well as some other necked down areas.One walleye finally, on a slip bobber/minnow. Oh, ifn your boat has seemingly lost
500 rpms and won't go very fast,double check
that your buddy has indeed, pulled up the anchor as he has said he has!!!!Monday,
again at 22 bridge,nice weather finally
but got up a little late.No walleyes,but
did manage a few northerns and more smallmouth.

P.S. Saw someone come through on Sunday
in a red/white boat with a Fishing
Minnesota decal on the side.Which one
of you was it?? Can you still get those decals??

If it was a red/white Crestliner with the decal is was GullGuide. I have a Green Lund and was not on the Chain this weekend. Sound like it was tough for everyone. This weekend should be quite a bit better with the warmer temps this weekend.ScottS