• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River

Anyone been down to the Dam by SCSU campus? Before this rain or during this rain?
How did you do? Its been good in the past just checking. It still might be a little early.
Thanks

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]

I went down there today. I didnt try fishing, but it looks ok. I saw some people down there earlier this week. I talked to them and they said they've had pretty good luck. But they were mainly fishing for carp and other rough fish. That's all the info I have.

Fishing was pretty slow yesterday on the river at SCSU, but a few walleyes are biting. I only caught a few but they were still fun to catch. I'm going there again today and seeing whats down there today.
Good luck.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Yeah, its pretty slow today too. I went down there and they're a few people fishing, but not much getting caught. I talked to one of the guys there and he said only a few eyes and northerns. Couple carp here and there too. They do have the **** almost all the way open. There is a ton of current coming out of it. Good Luck to any one that goes.

Hey guys,
Just a friendly reminder that "you may not intentionally fish for species during its closed season." The 10th Street dam area gets patroled pretty well, if you are fishing w/ walleye gear, you're likely to get a big, fat ticket.

Good reminder Spike. Guys only have to wait about a month and you can catch all the eyes you want. Well almost all you want smile.gif

Yeah, I only fish for carp this time of year anyways. Fishing for Walleyes is boring to me now. I now need big fish to get me excited. Or at least fish that fight. smile.gif

------------------
Fishing isn't a Hobby to me. A Hobby is something you do in your spare time.

Thanks Coleman, I will give that a try here one of these days. I caught those carp on a stand up jig with a twister tail and a minnow. This is my first year ever fishing for carp. I've only shot/speared them before...
What are some good techniques for catch them. Plain hook and crawler on the bottom?
The stand up jig was working for me, they seemed to like it... but I also know there are a lot of techniques for carp.
Have you been fishing in this heat at all?
Catch you later.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Amen!!! Carp are very fun to catch. I caught a 20#+ on sunday and a 10#+ on sunday as well. The 10#er fought a lot better than the 20 did. I'm using 8 pound test and carp are sure fun to catch.
You can catch carp this time of year can't you? I always thought you could anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong please cause I don't need any hefty fines! I'm sure others don't either.
I think I'll be fishing down there again this weekend. Anyone else?
How's other areas of the river for carp?
Thanks for the info fellas.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Hey kupcho you can fish for carp year round. They are a rough fish and have no limits on how many you keep and when you fish for them. The same goes for Bullheads. You can fish for catfish year round too, but I think you can only keep 6 of them. Some other places to try are the **** in Cold Spring. Just take 23 out of St. Cloud to the west. It will take your through Rockville, then to Cold Spring. Once you get to Cold Spring just stay on 23 until you see a road that goes straight. 23 will curve to your left. You will take a "right" onto that, but your really going straight. Take that to the bridge and park in the parking lot to your left. Should be a few peopel fishing down there. Just try your normal techniques. Good Luck.

Um, some good techniques to use are crawlers of course. They are a bottom dweling fish, so baits that are normaly on the bottom should work well. Also using a bobber with a crawler or worm should work. I have used corn before. Crushed up wheates, with vanilia extract, or other sweet extracts, maybe strawberry, blueberry, lemon. Anything like that that might get their attention. You might also get a few catfish using sweet things like that, cause they rely heavily on their sense of smell. Good Luck.
Also ask around as to what other people are doing, and if they are having any luck.

------------------

Thanks Coleman, I've also heard potatoes. Have you heard this too?
Sweets are a good idea, I'm going to try that one.
Thanks again.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

I have never tried potatoes. I have tried this stuff call Krafty Katchers. The business went belly up a few years ago, but that stuff worked awesome. It was like a chum type substance. Ground up grains, and then you added whatever flavor you wanted. They had many different varities. But anyways, they are gone, so you can't buy the stuff anymore. If you try potatoes tell me how it goes. I'll give it a try too. Have a good one.

------------------

That catfish is around the average size cat I catch. But I have caught channel cats up near 36 lbs up on the Red River. But on the Miss. near the ****, a 6-8 pound cat is a normal size. But you will mainly catch them in the 2-4 lbs range. Those catfish are a blast to catch arnt they. Just think about catching 40+ of them over 15 pounds smile.gif just in one day. I would love to go fishing this weekend, but I wont be able to. I'm drag racing at a local drag track this weekend. I hope to get out next weekend for sure. Tell me how it goes. Have a good Weekend.

------------------

Kupcho,
Sounds like you had a great day. I'm jealous -- thinking about it brings me back to my days at SCSU drinkin' beer and fishin'. The cat you got is probably a little larger than average, as coleman said 2#-4# is about average. If you want to target cats at night go with some stink baits, you can buy the commercial ones (like Powerbait for cats) or you can buy some chicken livers and let them sit at room temp for a day or two - they'll stink like heck and they stay on the hook well.

As a student you'll probably be gone when smallie season opens, but if you're around walk down the Beaver Island trail a ways and there are some nice shore spots that offer some fun smallie action. If the water is low enough, you can wade out to some points and bars around the islands for even better action.

I've been doing some fishing here in the Cities with moderate success, but I'm vicariously reliving my college days through you guys so keep the reports comin'.
grin.gif

Hey guys, yeah I'm a junior at SCSU right now. Catching fish and drinkin beer a kinda a given here at SCSU. Or at least drinkin beer! The river is a lot of fun. This is my first year fishing the river and its been pretty good. A lot of rocks down there that I get hung up on, but oh well.
I've heard that powerbait is a good bait. My buddy here at school uses it, and has only caught one cat. I'll try using it this weekend at the cold spring dam. I'll let you guys know how I do.
What year did you graduate spike? Just curious.
Good luck with the race this weekend coleman, thanks for your input.
This river fishing is keeping me busy until Guiding starts. Its a little different catching carp & cats than walleyes and other game fish. It sure is a good time though!
See you later guys.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

I graduated in '95 but lived in Saint Cloud until '97 (wow, that means it's been five years already, where does the time go?). During the six years I lived there I spent a lot of time around that dam. The SCSU Rec. Dept used to hold a carp tourney in early May in conjunction w/ the Mississippi Music Festival -- might be kind of fun to check out if they still hold it. I still have in-laws in SC and get up there pretty often but rarely have any time to fish. Maybe if I head up there in teh next fews weeks I'll post or e-mail and we could hook up a few carp.

Coleman, I fished the river at SCSU last night, I didn't try potatoes yet but did the same technique as usual. I used a whistler jig with a mister twister tail, tipped with a minnow. I caught a lot of different types of fish. A few walleyes, northerns, rockbass, a few carp, and a 6lb 10oz catfish. Is this the average size of cats on the river? It was a channel cat.
I'm going to try to hit the cold spring dam this weekend, probably friday afternoon. If you've got nothing going on maybe I'll see you there?

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

I'm pretty sure the carp contest still goes on. I remember hearing about it last year. It might have been the one in the cities too. I'm not positive.
I'm a Junior at SCSU too. You right on the beer thing. I don't think there is any shortage of that in St. Cloud. I just loving seeing the faces of the dad's when they bring their daughters to the dorms on move-in day. 5th Ave is the best. I'm sure you know about that. All the signs and BS. People walking up and down the street was drunk as can be. Good times I tell ya. Say kupcho, if you ever see a Black 96 Camaro Z28, that's me. Has polished alum. rims and silver Z28 decals on the side. If you see it wave me down. Later.

Coleman, sounds good. Yeah move in day is something else. Last fall was pretty crazy. From what I remember. All the signs, girls, beer, did I mention GIRLS! Anyway, this is a fishing forum right.
I drive a 92 red/white chevy truck, same goes for you, see me flag me down.
Talk to you later.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Sounds good buddy, Mississippi music festival is next weekend the 28th. I will be there, beer in hand! I've heard about the carp festival too. Never went down there but I'm going to have to do that one of these years.
Yeah when your up to St. Cloud give me an email and we can hook up.
See you later.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

maybe I'll get to meet some of you at the carp festival. Because of baseball, my brother and I weren't able to go last year. But the year before, I won the contest with a 10 pounder, and the year before my younger brother won it with about an 8 pounder. There wasn't much competition, but it was still fun -- also, we got some fishing gear and a $25 gift certificate to Walmart each year. I'm 17 right now, so that means I was 15 when I won it 2 years ago, and my brother was 13 when he won 3 years ago. I don't know if they still let adults participate or not, so you'll have to check it out. Good luck fishing, and hope to see some of you guys there!

S.A.

How is everyone's fishing been lately? I've been waiting for some new info but it's been slow. I am particularily interested in the scsu dam fishing. I have been student here and been fishing there since '98 and have had great luck. Sounds like I probably would of seen some of you done there as much as everyone fishes there. I haven't been able to get down there this year but I can't wait for my chance! I was wondering if the "carp" were still in there biting along with the crappie. Last spring I pulled some pretty nice slabs out of there fishing for "carp" with a slip bobber/fuzzy grub/fathead combo. It was pretty amazing! Let me know what you guys have to say and maybe I'll see you down there soon.

------------------
Gone Fishin'

Welcome to the forum, I haven't been down to the river for the last 4 days or so. It's been pretty cold and I've been way to busy to enjoy even an hour of fishing. I'll let you know how I do when I get a chance to get down there.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

I am also a student at State. I have been fishing the river for the last 4 years. If you are looking for catfish I would fishing the opposite side of the campus side. Last year an caught a lot of 3-5 lbs. on that side this time of year. The water was high like it is now. I have never done well for catfish at the dam when the water is low, just mostly bullheads. It also seems this time of year that the higher the water the bigger the walleyes. Have never caught any nice pike all small ones. Fall is really fun for smallmouth bass and there are some big ones. I would use nightcrawlers for carp. I can't wait for opener on mille lacs. It should be another good year on the big pond. Good luck AJ

Haven't fished down by the dam for some time although I live only a couple blocks away, but I would also suggest trying the Riverside Park side. There are a couple of open spots to fish (once the water goes down) that have produced cats, smallies, walleyes, crappies, etc. and you won't have to fight the crowds that are over at the fishing pier. Any of you ever fish up river by the Sartell dam or even up at Gordon's bridge?? Those were a couple of spots I tried when I was at SCSU since I didn't have a boat at that time.

You are right these are good spots also. Gordon bridge is a great spot to fish for spring crappies and huge spring carp. Every carp I pulled out their last year was over 10 lb. Also big smallmouths in fall. AJ

today was the date for the Mississippi Music Festival at SCSU. I was wondering if the carp contest took place -- i didn't bother to go check it out. If anyone fished it, how did you do? how many people were entered? crazy weather we've been having.

S.A.