• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What Walleye Stocking

Beerbatter

I just read an alarming report from Mike Sheehan on the walleye central website. Goto the site and do a search on his name and look at the article titled "What Walleye Stocking". It opened my eyes to a big problem we have here in MN. Please read and lets have a conversation about it.

[This message has been edited by Pwaldow123 (edited 02-19-2002).]

I think that there aren't enough people who are voicing themselves. People Hear stuff like this and just blow it off or wine about it. People need to know what is going on. I Dont think that the public is well informed of topics similar to this.

I'm one of the younger guys in this forum, and I couldn't even imagine what fishing was like 20 years ago or even 15. All I hear is stories and hope that it could be like it was.

My main point is people need to be informed and fight for want they want instead of blowing it off in hopes someone else will tend to the issue

Beerbatter, unfortunately the Walleye stocking situation you refer to is anything but new. The alledged "science" behind the current walleye stocking policy has been public knowledge for at least 10, if not 15 years (all the more reason to abandon walleye fishing in favor of Bass fishing like me, just kidding)

My take on the DNR's walleye stocking program goes something like this: Most lakes that don't have good numbers of fishable walleyes probably never will no matter how much stocking is done due to a lack of sustainable forage base, natural reproduction, winter kill, not to mention predation, competion from other species, fishing pressure, ect. ect. The lakes that do have fishable populations of walleyes don't need stocking to sustain the resource because they have all the components necessary to sustain themselves. Therefore the DNR considers it throwing good money after bad to attempt to provide good walleye opportunities in areas that they consider marginally productive walleye water. I think the only reason a walleye stocking program exists at all is because the DNR would feel guilty accepting all the revenue generated by license fees without making somewhat of an attempt to replenish the resouce. Besides are you or I going to not buy a fishing license in MN because of reduced walleye stocking? Is a non-resident here on vacation for a week or two not going to buy a fishing license because of reduced walleye stocking? (do you see where I'm going with this?) The DNR is going to have esentially the same revenue from fishing licenses wether they stock walleyes or not! Sorry to sound so cynical but that's my take on the situation.

Thank God For Other Species!

Mike

Im sure that is what they are thinking but it doesnt make it right. I have been buying licenses and assuming a part of it was going twords restocking my lakes. If restocking has been approved and they have the budget then it is wrong of them not to do it. There are arguments for not restocking Im sure but if restocking truly didnt work then Upper red lake is in a lot of trouble. The story is the same all over. Money set aside for onething spent on another. It no differant than the loggers reforesting after they clear cut an area. We need to put back even if that means putting in more forage base to feed them.