• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Paynesville

Hello, all! Don't you just love early ice? Anyway, this is my first winter in the Paynesville area(moved from St. Paul) and I haven't had a chance to get out yet (that'll change tomorrow). Are any of the Paynesville area lakes safe yet, and are there any areas to watch out for? Also, what are some good places to begin my explorations? I've been ice fishing only since I moved to St. Paul from Florida in 1996, but it has fast become my absolute favorite pastime. I can never seem to get enough information about the sport, and your inputs would be appreciated more than you know. Thanks a bundle!

------------------
fitchwolf

[This message has been edited by Fitchwolf (edited 12-01-2000).]

Fitch,
Give Big Lake a try. It is on the Paynesville side of the Horseshoe chain. Caught some nice walleye there this fall and it is a fairly shallow lake, so the ice should be ok. Just remember to take a chisel along and test the ice as you go. 3 good HARD hits with a very sharp chisel should be an indicator as to the ice being safe to walk on. If it goes through on the third hit or less, don't risk it.
Good luck and safe ice to all!!!
GullGuide
>"////=<

Fitch, Rice Lake is worth checking out. You can walk out from the access by the river. There's 4 inches of ice and people have been fishing it for 2 weeks. Walleyes tend to run small but plentiful. Once ice gets thicker (maybe by now) and if you don't mind walking, you can head to the lake's main bar. (Just look for all the other people.) I've also heard people catch good crappies on Rice but I go there for the walleyes. Good luck. Let's hear how you do.

Y dont you try Eden Lake in Eden Valley. Went out last weekend for Crappie and did GREAT! Two guys filled out 2days in a row in about 1 1/2hrs. Go out from the access to the right where the houses were in 18' of water. There were stacked heavy. Couple over a pound even smile.gif

------------------
Good Fishen!!

Daddy:
Were you fishin' at nite or during the day?
Minnows or waxies?
I was out there tonight and only caught one small crappie.
Must of set up on the wrong spot.
Moved 4 times with no success.

For starters go to the public access. Look to the right, about 100 yards there should be a black house. From the house walk about 20 yards SSE. Find 18' then drill a few holes, look for the schools from 18' to 15' up. Get out there and set up by 2:30PM. Use crappie minnows, the smaller the better. Good Luck!!
Tell me if this is where you were.
We used tiny glow jigs.

------------------
Good Fishen!!

[This message has been edited by Daddy (edited 12-02-2000).]

Went out to Rice Lake on the third, but had no luck. However, I was forced off the ice early by the wind-man, that was something feirce! Anyway, I'm going to head back on Saturday and give it a little more effort-I also hope to try Koronis. As for big lake and Eden lake, well, I'm pretty new to the area-where are these lakes located in relation to Paynesville?
P.S. Thanks a bunch to all who responded. I can see how this forum can be a great tool for anglers of all levels, and hopefully soon I can give others the kind of help you all have so generously given me. Keep it up, and happy fishin'!

Fitch-Eden is near Eden Valley and Big lake is just West of Richmond on the South side of Highway 23. The fish are biting on both of these lakes but not as well as the Crappies are biting on Cedar Island and Horseshoe. Good luck and keep after it.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Yes the crappies are biting on Eden and they will be biting in the AM. I would imagine they will still be biting this weekend. They seem to bite all year out there. Watch out for the Full Moon.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Thanks alot for the info. Well hope to see you guys out on the lake this weekend. A couple of guys and I will be on Eden I think around noon or so..Talk to you guys later!!

I was on Edin today from about 1pm until 5pm and we caught many perch, but only one crappie! I had to leave by 5 so I don't know if my group caught any more, but I am sure they would have. Many people were out their. I think I counted between 30 and 40 houses on the lake. Talk to everyone later!! Good Fishin'!!!!