• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have had some very good luck on walleye and crappie at Orwell late in the fall.

More like early winter, that kinda late. I often see guys in orange suits toat'n shotguns on the way to fish the Otter Tail River.

Has anyone been testing the waters near the dam in recent days?

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

Ed,

You are talking about the river itself...as in directly below the dam aren't you?

FLB

I've been wondering the same thing.....Sure wish I was closer. I keep seeing this one spot at Orwell when I close my eyes!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Yup, the first mile from the dam. The first 200 yards in the late fall is often the best.

I take it you have not been back that way in a while Dark? Plenty of time yet, just need water.

Nope, not since the gathering. Don't think I'll be up there till X-Mas. I've seen guys standing in the snow catching small ones with jigs and minnows.

Not much water eh?

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Yup there and Phelps Mill can be interesting in early winter.

Last January I was catching eyes in Fargo below a couple of Dams. All you need is a shot of warm weather and them long rods come back out darn quick.

I hope to keep at it tell after Thanksgiving, then start thinking early ice.

We need snow this winter to fill things back up all over the region.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

Ed,

This brings me back to a question I posted earlier this year about planer boards...

I can envision a #13 Rapala slowly wobbling back-and-forth into the current, held more-or-less stationary with a planer board. Simply reposition by either bringing line in or out (or) moving up or down the bank. A line counter might even play into this to repostion after hooking a fish???

FLB

Ya maybe it could work, Anything is possible? The main idea with a crank is to cover ground, so personally I will cast and crank slow.

If you do try it? Don't get too surprised if your board gets whacked by a muskie at Orwell. A few toothy beasts roam that area all year long.

I think if we dig far enough back in fishing history we will find out that planer boards were invented by shore/river fishermen.. When I started pulling boards from the boat I thought I could teach my old man something, then he says "we used to do this back on the farm on the river south of perham!" That was in like 1955 or so...Anything for a boatless fisherman to get his line in just the right spot....Boards are not a new thing, well maybe to the new generation... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie