• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

neb.fish

We fished Pickerel lake(Ottertail co.) last week after hearing about the smallmouth hitting on this lake. We read in the fishing guide that you can't take a smallmouth after Sept. 9th. Why is this?

It is my understanding that the regulation exists because of the fact that in the fall the smallies group tightly, are very aggressive and that they use the same spots year after year. In other words, they are very vunerable to harvest/overharvest this time of year, and the regulation is in place for that very reason.

I, personally, applaud the regulation. They are way too much fun to catch, and there's certainly better fish to be eaten.

By the way, how did you do on Pickerel? I was there a few weeks ago, and will probably give it another go sometime later this week.

FLB

neb.fish

The fishing was pretty good. We were staying on Dead Lake and heard about the Smallies so we went over for one afternoon. Having never fished the lake and having no map we fished the east side of the boat ramp. In four hours we had 6 smallies(3 around 2lbs 3 smaller) and 2 largemouth. All were caught using top water lures. They sure are fun to catch, I'd like to stay on that lake next year but I heard there isn't a resort on that lake. Do you know of anyone who rents their house or cabin on Pickerel?

There's a nice little resort on Twin Lake (Twin Lakes Landing) east on #74 just a couple of miles from the gravel road that takes you to the ramp at Pickerel.

FLB

Paul Rohweller

Nope, no resorts left on pickerel. Lolls hung it up and retired a couple years ago. Dad was on pickerel last saturday night, he caught a few smallies out in front of the big a frame house right out by the access..I imaging he was rigging a minnow for walleyes.. I really miss staying on that lake, we used to go to lolls quite a bit.FLB hit the nail right on the head with the regulations and why they are the way they are, I couldnt explain it any better. Good luck and good fishin!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie