• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about the town of Elizabeth, MN, five miles north of Fergus Falls.

How is the fishing in the area?

Any good crappie lakes?

Thanks in advance.

Just something to pull on the other end of the line.

I like to catch and release the quality and eat a few of the quanity ones.

We were at the old flour mill two weeks ago amd a couple of gentlemen were fishing, it was fun just watching and you don't realize how peacefull it was for us.

Chart,

Here's a couple to start with:

Anderson Lake (on #3 just south of #24) is only about 80 acres, but has loads of "eater" sized crappies that always seem eager to bite. Don't expect 10" fish on a regular basis, but there are a few. Slow trolling small floating rapalas or jigs w/twister tails will definitely produce. Once you find the fish, stop and cast the same baits or vertical fish for them. The bay in the south end of the lake is especially good. Do not be suprised to catch bass, pike and an occasional walleye...I've caught some real dandies there!

Heilberger Lake (on #22 just east of #3) is a little bigger lake, with a better average size of crappie. Same approach applies, but concentrate your efforts near the sunken island on the north end of the lake. I'm a tepmorary resident of this lake.

Fish Lake (on #1 just a mile east of Weetown) is yet a bigger lake. You'll want to use a #5 shad rap to begin trolling with here, and you'll probably catch a nice mess of eating sized walleyes, along with some really nice perch. Once you find them, vertical fishing with minnows would be the ticket for more. There are 2 sunken humps on this lake, along with many slow tapering points with reeds. The Pub-n-Pantry in Weetown makes a mean hamburger!

I hope this gets you started.

FLB

FLB, has the water receded any on fish lk yet? I was out there a couple years back for opener and did real well in the old race track area, it seemed so weird to find them in there, we definetly had a ball there tho, it must have been a popular place for opener, they were parking on the hyway by 7 am, glad I got there early! is it still the same??

Minneman,

I was at the access last weekend, but did not launch...just wanted to point it out to a friend who is new to the area. It looked as though the water levels were what I would call "normal" for the lake. You could easily see the north sunken island from the ramp, and the access looked fine. You're right, though, it's a very popular walleye spot for the locals, and it's very easy to fish.

FLB

A million thanks for the info.

I hope and pray that I can use it in the very near future.

We are hopeing to move into the area in the near future.

The lakes sound just great, I like the part about them being smaller and will be able to fish them without worry of being blown off, like it always seemed to happened to me on LOW.

Thanks again

Chart,

I'm jealous! I've been coming to the Ottertail County area for 25 of my 41 years, and have been extremely fortunate to have fished many (I mean many) of the lakes in that and other areas of Minnesota. I've been on most of the big lakes, but really enjoy the smaller ones.

If it is solitude you pursue (along with the fishing, of course), try the Red River Lake (Ottertail River at #3) to the east side of the bridge - or better yet - get a canoe and launch on Twenty One Lake (on #3 just north of #24) in Maplewood State Park. Twenty One Lake has some fabulous bass & pike fishing (C&R only), and is one of the most scenic lakes in the area.

The best thing about the area you are moving to is that you will never run out of local waters to try, and the rest of the state is there for you too! Becker County to the north is likewise loaded with smaller lakes.

I hope to join you permanently in the next 10-15 years as a resident on Heilberger Lake. The land has been purchased for several years...now working (HARD) on the $$$ for the cabin.

FLB

Again, thanks for the info.

If everyone in the area are half as helpful as you have been, we will really enjoy it there.

We are going to look at some property this Saturday as well as enjoy some of the scenery and the colors.

We are really looking forward to it, thanks again.

The fall colors are going to peak out this weekend. We have a big wind out of the north right now and it has knocked alot of the loose ones off already. winter and hardwater is comin! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie