• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This posting is out of curiosity. I have been fishing Vermillion for a week or two each year for the past twenty five years and had never seen a Largemouth. I new they were in the lake but never sought them out. Last week while fishing for Pike with topwater baits we hit Largemouth all over the place. Does our timing have anything to do with this, has the population increased or was it just dumb luck? All of the fish were healthy and real beefy even the small ones were nice and stocky. The biggest we boated was 22". What's the story?

I have started getting them also the past couple years fishing shallow in weeds. Its where they should be....but I never caught many in the past.

We were getting them in the same type of spots, very shallow and in the weeds. We were fishing spots that had held a good number of pike in previous years and this year they seemed to be split almost 50/50 pike and largemouth.

I was at the weigh in for the Minnesota PROAM Bass tournament in Aug two years ago. They brought in alot of fish and it seems it was about 50/50 for largemouth vs smallmouth. Might be a good question to pose to the DNR Fisheries folks as to past numbers of bucketmouths.

If in fact there is an increasing number of largemouth in the lake do you guys percieve this as a positive or negative? Adding one more fish to my fishing experience seems like a good thing. But does an increase (at least in my mind) in this species mean something detrimental to another?

If in fact there is an increasing number of largemouth in the lake do you guys percieve this as a positive or negative? Adding one more fish to my fishing experience seems like a good thing. But does an increase (at least in my mind) in this species mean something detrimental to another?