• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I had entered a topic several days ago but apparently due to hacker problems it and any replies were among those that got deleted from the forum so I will try again.

Any suggestions and tips from anyone for two old Tower Soudan alumni to catch some walleyes on Lake Vermilion and Trout Lake would be much appreciated. I graduated in 1946 and my wife, the former Connie West, graduated in 1951. Connie's mother developed and operated the former Westhaven Lodge and we will be staying in one of those cabins so most of our fishing will be in Big Bay area although we will roam further if it means catching a walleye dinner.

We will arrive June 22 and depart July 6 and when there hope to get into Trout a couple of times.

We will have access to a boat but will have to find someone or someplace that will rent us a 15 to 25 HP motor. None of the resorts or marinas will reserve one for us. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Stenfeldt "Hank" Petersen

Hank, where was Westhaven Resort? We will arrive on the 21, so the only info I have is from the other posts, was up on Vermilion on June 1 for a week.

I imagine the evening walleye bite (6 to 9 PM) should be prime, small slipbobbers, a chub or leech and split shot in 5' to 8'. Always have luck off the docks. As far as other locations, keep watching the posts. Check out the Potato, Taylor and Stonich Island chain, vary the depths until you find them. Also had good luck around Strawberry Island and Moose Island.

As far as a motor for your boat, I'm not sure. I would have guessed a resort or marina could rent you a boat and motor. Maybe they may have one to rent at the last minute. Sorry I couldn't help in the motor dept. It would be worthwhile to hire a guide early in the week and get to know the lake. A better chance at a walleye meal.

Have a good trip

Rob

Robert
Westhaven is between Bayview &Forest Lane Resort
Thanks for your suggestions. We are familiar with the spots you mentioned & we will try them out.Still hoping to get a motor once we get there. If not I have been trying to convince my wife that rowing will be good exercise for her.
Hank