• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Check out my reply on eyes at dusk! I ran CANNONS earlier this week and did excellent!! Anytime you mark fish deep downriggers will ussually work great with a rapala!!

I know alot of guys don't really have any use for downriggers but I sure do! They tend to produce when nothing else will! The good thing is the amount of water you can cover! But keep in mind you must mark fish! I use a Shimano TDR rods 8' and penn reels, I laso use 18-20 lb test! I also use a really good heavy duty snap swivel! No leader!
Make sure the snap swivel is suited for the size rapala your running! I use bigger floating rapalas. Floating work great do to the fact that they dont swim much lower than the ball itself! If your running a flat bottom put out enough line behind ball! If its humpy or really rocky put out less line and this will save you some dollars on rapalas!
As far as releases go? Well?? I have tried a large assortment and thats a key to finding the right on! I found that a long plastic cable release with the rubberband on the line works probably the best!! I will check the brand of these and get back to ya on that! If ya ever have any questions let me know!

GOOD LUCK

CHODE, thanks for the good info. How much line do you usually run behind the ball over a flat bottom and over a rocky bottom?

Last labor day I was drifting over a hump in big bay with about 10 other boats. No one was really catching much accept two guys in a newer Alumacraft with Evinrude 150 and matching kicker and two downriggers (maybe someone from this site?). It seemed everytime I looked over the rod was bent with a nice walleye. They were circling the hump I was fishing. Needless to say, downriggers were on my Christmas list and I got a couple. I'm looking for any tips you might have on techinques, lures, speed, and locations to try. CHODE, I saw your post earlier today and it triggered this post. Next trip is for nine days over July 4 holiday. Maybe it will be too early for downriggers, but I'm anxious to try them. Our cabin is in Greenwood Bay, so I can head either direction. Thanks in advance.

I have two Big Jon Downriggers, catch a lot of walleyes on the Big V with them, trolling cranks over humps, actually good for shallow northern fishing too.

I'm curious for those who troll deep over the humps, do you ever accidentally catch a muskie or two?

On downriggers? No not usually. Catch Northerns sometimes, but the cranks are usually too small to get Muskies to follow.