• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello all ,
just wondering what length is preffered for lindy rigs Ive seen anywhere from 2 feet to 12 feet . do you use any floats with them or just colored beads and a hook , and what is the advantage of them ?
Thanks in advance

Last year I went with a lindy sinker, 5 foot plain snell and a chartreuse floating joghead with a leech and did well. I also used a plain hook with similar success. I will be up this wekeend and plan to experiment with some red hooks and some spinner rigs if I can get a good drift going.

Any of you start fishing spinner rigs yet with success, or is it still a little cool?

Hi Guys,
Lindys have been my rig of choice so far this season. I started out with a 20 inch snell early in the season and have now gone to a 3 ft. to 6 ft. snell. I have been using a plain #2 bait hook with no beads or floaters added.
I have also used spinners on very windy days and have done ok with them.
The walleyes are starting to move into their normal spring areas too!
Good fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

OK one more thing I have my own hot spots ,. but any preference on baits ?
I will be up next week and staying at wak em up campground ,jake is an awesome host
thanks again!

We did very well Monday morning in the wind in the 28' to 32' range. Two of us used a 3/4 oz. bottom bouncer that slides up and down the mainline (just like the Lindy slip sinker) with homemade 4' snells with a red hook, beads, and a copper spinner and rainbow chub.

The other guy on the boat used a 1/2 oz. yellow jig and rainbow chub. We were drifting with the wind maintaining the 30' depths. Caught about 28 walleyes, and Kept 8. They were delicious!

Without a strong wind, jigs were the way to go.

Jacks,
Fished up there on Fri, Sat, and Sun (5/31-6/2). I almost exclusively used a spinner and my partner used a lindy. The lindy didn't hardly catch anything, but the spinner caught them pretty good. Hammered gold spinner, couple of beads, and a 3/4 oz. chain sinker. Small shiners seemed to work the best. Didn't really get much on the bigger shiners or the rainbows. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Mark

Anyone willing to share know-how on how to tie snells? Its kind of hard to find some good long length lindy-rig like snells with colored hooks. Anyone have an e-mailable picture description of how these are tied?

Thanks

TL

Robert, I would also be interested in your insights as to how to tie these snells. I am finally getting up to the Big V this weekend and will be fishing Walleyes all weekend long. My usual presentation is to troll or drift a plain Jig & minnow or a snelled floating jig & minnow or leach with about a 2 ft. mono leader. Is this similar to the types of rigs you have success with? I have never pulled spinners but understand I should since it is so effective for others. My problem is I would like to make my own so I can use my line of choice. Also, when you troll a spinner, does the blade keep the bait right off the bottom or do you need to add weight to keep it close? I would appreciate any of your feedback. Thanks & good fishin to ya!

--Hawks
[email protected]

Good morning!
I fished three days last weekend and did excellent! I used a jig (Bubble gum) and my partner used a plain hook on a 4' snell and did just as well if not better than myself! We also tried some leeches and boated a few nicer size walleyes! When I use lindy rigs I use a 5' snell with one red bead and a plain hook! This always seems to work excellent. I also just purchased a drift sock! Boy I must say everyone should have one! It was the best 55.oo bucks I have ever spent! Good Luck!

CHODE, were you fishing the west side or east side? Were they still deep, or are they starting to move a little shallower?

the snell knot is easy
put the line thru the hole and let the line rest against the hook ,wrap the line around the shaft of the hook 5 to 7 times and put the front of the line back thru the hole and pull its a tension knot and hasn"t failed me yet! thanks for all the replies .

Im with chode a 5-6' snell(6lb mono)a red bead with a plain hooked with the bait of the season this is my most relied on method. but if the fish are very aggresive jigs do a better job and if the fish are hard to find a bouncer with a spinner and crawler can move faster to cover more water and if you have the pinpointed a slipbobber is highly effective but we all have our "favorite" mines the rig CJ

WIZKID We were fishing on the east end! I ussually only fish the west end a half a dozen times a year! During the highdaylight hours we are still hitting fish in the 28' to 40' but as the sun starts going down we move in! I will gradually move in after about 6:00pm I try to follow the fish in with my electronics. By 8:30 we are fishing in 12-18 feet and as dark sets in we move up two 6-8 feet! But all in all we ussually have found our limits by 8:00 and just fish until dark looking for more quality! (BIGGINS)! I know alot of guys are waiting for the fish to take to there spring patterns! Personally dont waste alot of time looking for that! I have been watching my vexillar for high numbers of fish then really working that area until we spook them! If you find high numbers that are biting you should get a good number of fish before they spook or scatter! If your in need of a few spots to find fish then let me know and I will point you in a good area!

Try a red hook size 8or 6 with a chart. rattle bead ( Northland tackle). These beads do float a little. Works well for me. Good luck!