• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

In my never ending task of trying to educate myself on fishing the lovely lake Vermilion, I read and try and read and try and listen.. ect. This year I have noticed that a few mags have been promoting cranks for walleyes. Though I have caught the occasional eye while fishing for smallmouth, I have never put on a crank bait with the intention of walleye fishing. It sounds very appealing, basically because I find jigging boring. Every time I read this forum on eyes, it’s almost always jigging. Do any of you experts, or novices use cranks for eyes?

------------------
Mark Goodlander
WannaBe Angler

Mark,

When the wind blows really hard, I fish Original floating Rapalas in a funnel area between two islands near Moccosin Point. This pattern has worked many years over ....and the fish get quite big. 15-25". The action is fast and furious and shuts off as quick as it started. The wind must blow the bait fish up against these islands and the 'eyes follow. I assume this pattern can be repeated in other areas of the lake. ....the key is the wind.

Crank baits are good in late summer early fall.
Jigging and lindy rigging are the way to fish walleye period!!!

And if jigging is to F-ing boring for you go over to Rice bay and cast for Muskie and Northerns.
Good luck to you this year.

I have been casting and trolling cranks for 'eyes for many years. Look for the above mentioned "funnel downs" when there is current, either from a natural flowage or from the wind. These areas are great for tossing either stick or shad type baits.

The other great crankbait trick is to go out at/after dark and troll the shallow water. I like to look for the tops of a drop off and/or a weed edge, or another great spot would be over a large weedy flat with a few feet of water over the weeds.

Cranks can be very productive, and yes they are more fun, but there is something about that little bump you feel while jig fishing - Your heart stops for a second and you wait for that second before you set the hook -- FISH ON!

Jigs, Rigs, Cranks and Slip Bobbers they all have their time and place where nothing else seems to work.

Good fishing, and remember don't get stuck with only one presentation - what worked today, is only a starting point for tomorrow.

Steve

Steve,

Yes, Indeed....there is something about a jig bite. I knew I wasn't I the only one, but its good to read someone else write about that little "bump"

I have fished cranks with some very good results. The best time seems to be just after the spawn when the water starts to warm up, like right now! The walleyes seem to be sucidal under these conditions and will readily take a crank. I usually use a #7 chrt. shad rap or a husky jerk in 5-8 ft. of water. Look for points or any rocky shoreline. You can cover a lot more water with crankbaits and it is fun, but if they are not active switch to livebait. Like everyone else says, you got to go with the flow.

agree with above post use husky jerk - when walley is active they will slam it, but if they are not active, slower method like live bait is the way to go

Caught my largest walleye to date on a crank on the Big V. It was an old Fred Arbo-cast deep diver(blue top, yellow bottom) banged on the rocks in 10-15 feet of water on the NW side of St. Paul Island near Mocassin Point. 10:30 am Oct. 11
It was a very fat 29 incher.

Early June trolling and casting #9 Perch Shad raps in 10-15 feet of water, during low light periods can be very hot!!! Get a good clip going and troll the mouths of bays and their immediate shorelines. These bays need to have a good reed and weed growth in them to attract them perchies!!! That bite usually stops as soon as the sun comes over the pines, but continues into the dark.

PS> I might be breaking that personal size tomorrow on Pool 4 of the Mississippi!!!! Pullin' cranks!!!! Bring'em on!!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 05-23-2002).]

Thanks for all the input. I will try some of the tactics mentioned, and hopefully catch some walleyes.
Bye the way, f-ing jigging isn't all bad, and I do understand the excitement of the catch. It's funny that you should mention that if I get bored jigging to go to rice bay and catch Musky or Northern, because that is exactly what I do. We have a cabin on Rice Bay, and I have caught some very nice fish there. If you think a walleye hit can be exciting, try a few Musky.

Thanks again for all your input.
Good luck fishing.

------------------
Mark Goodlander
WannaBe Angler

little Willy,
It's a sportfish, learn to spell. And a 135 merc. But nice try. By the way, you should come up this weekend.

------------------
Mark Goodlander
WannaBe Angler