• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We are staying at White Eagle. Is this near Hibbing Point? I have read alot of posts saying this was a good fishing area and wondered how close this was to camp. We plan to do some night fishing and don't want to wander to far out for good spots. Any information on good spots for night fishing walleye or musky near White Eagle would be appreciated. I can't wait to get up there. Last week of June seems so far away right now. Any special Musky baits you might recommend? I'm purchasing some new one's real soon. Thanks to you all. This is a great site. Good luck to everyone fortunate enough to be up on the Big V for the opener.

Reels,

I am curious who told you that hibbing point is a good spot to fish. I am somewhat familiar with vermillion and I have never heard of "Hibbing Point". Good luck if it is out there and you find it.

Ely lake expert

Hibbing point is the next point, just past Spring Bay as you head east out of White Eagle (great choice for a resort, by the way). Just to the SE of the Hibbing Point there is some deep water (30+ feet) and if you search with your sonar (not marked on any map I've seen) is a small sunken island which comes up to about 12 feet. Anchor off a little further to the east at dusk, and throw slip-bobber rigs up onto that sunken island. You'll be rewarded!

Last June (about the 10th, I think) I was landing a nice 19" walleye off that point, and a musky nailed it right at the boat! My partner just about dropped the net in the lake! The musky took the walleye down, but let go after about a minute or two. Mangled my pretty walleye! I'm not a musky guy, but I'll never again laugh at those foot-long baits you guys use.

Another musky spot (saw a 47" come out of there two years ago) is the rocky point which tapers off west end of that small island ("Ormonds Is"?) straight out from White Eagle.

When will you be at White Eagle? Maybe we can hook up.

Hans

[This message has been edited by HansB (edited 05-10-2002).]

I spend all of my time on the east end of the lake. But I believe Hibbing Point is in Head Of Lakes Bay and White Eagle Resort is to the south of Hibbing Point.

Lots of posts in the past concerning baits, check out the archives. I use a black bucktail with a silver or orange blade. I remember Guideman recomending a white spinnerbait. I bought one and managed to get it hung up on a marker buoy while watching a muskie in front of me and trying to cast in front of her. I NEED to replace it this spring.

A Giant Jackpot and a topraider are other baits I like to use. I just started to get into trolling with Jakes, then it was time to quit for the season.

I'm sure others will have more location info and bait types for you. Hope this helps.

Rob

Dang, I knew that was a good spot! Staying at Spring Bay a couple years back, I picked up that sunken island and marked fish off the sides of it. Fished it with no luck...lost an anchor in the process. Some people have some luck early in the year right outside of spring bay and several people mention the hibbing point area for good walleyes, this sunken island seems like it would be a great spot.

I will be up the 2nd weekend in June. I am guessing I will have to give this area a try again.