• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What time of year does the topwater action pick up for the smallmouth? Do you have success in midday with topwaters, or is mostly lower light conditions like morning or evening?

Hi Guys,
The general rule of thumb is, topwaters
are effective, after water temps reach
the 65 degree range. That is true for most of our northern game fish.

There are always exceptions to the rule
but it's a good measuring stick for the
most part. Under the right conditions a
topwater can take fish, all year long.

Smallmouth will hit the surface at most
times of the year, but you need to use the right type of presentation, to get
the maximum results.

In colder water, a slow gliding bait is the way to go. Then, as temps rise into the mid to upper 70's, more aggressive baits like a popper or a buzzbait will
be more effective. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

Rattles are good and those tinsel tails. When their on its incredible. If you are not catching smallies on top you are missing one of finer things in life. Period
CJ

Now here is a subject that is near to my heart. I am not sure when the season for topwater smallies starts and ends but would guess that it is during the warmest water of the year. but do believe that the best topwater bite of the day is the shadows when the fish move shallow and are very aggressive. cant wait to read the other post on this topic.
CJ

I've fished smallmouth pretty heavily the week of Memorial Day for the last 15yrs. The year I came up in July was the only year we saw a topwater bite. My tackle box used to be HUGE...it has slowly diminished to a manageable size. This will be the first year I will leave all top water baits behind.

Hey Bornofice,
YOU know I went out and bought me some
of them rattlin poppers pal. smile.gif

MBeyer,
Husky jerks, are a stone killer in cold
water. smile.gif Most other suspending minnow baits are also very effective. Work the
bait slow and pause after every pull.

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com

Guideman,

That extra space in the tackle box has been filled with stick baits...I've added Rapalas , are you more confident in Husky Jerks?

The problem with those floater/divers around the rock piles is a muskie ends up on your line occassionally. I had my first hook up last year with 4 lb test. I saw him inhale the bait at the boat. He played with me for 10 minutes and broke off. Lotsa fun and I knew he wasn't coming in the boat. I guess I'll have to find time to target muskies.

Hey MB,
Most minnow style baits will work, the
oringinal rapalas, bomber long A's and the suspending rouges all work well.

Each has a slightly different wobble so
there are times, when one will work better than the rest. smile.gif Keep an open mind and vary your presentation, to see
just what they want.

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com

Guideman and all:

Would you agree?? The first week of May is too cold for a top water bite. I'm still committed to no topwater in the tackle box, but, I could be swayed!!

A true topwater bait, ie; popper or a buzzbait, may not be very effective in the early season, cold water period. frown.gif However.....a good sub surface bait ie; suspending minnow, spinnerbait or even a jerkbait can be very effective in the early season. smile.gif

There are no absolutes in fishing, if
the conditions are right, you may get a
topwater bite. If we get some nice warm days with a bug hatch early in May, you could find some fish willing to blast a
topwater.

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com