• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

what you YOU consider "north side of lake?"

As I read magazine articles of early spring fishing...I see many references to finding the warmer water which would be on the north side of the lake.
1.) Do you agree with this theory?

2.) What do YOU consider the "north" side of Vermilion? Up near St Mary's Island, Trout Lake Portage? Is the west side "more north?"

Mitch

I consider the north side of the lake, any bay or part of the lake that makes part of the north shore. Black Bay, Norwegian Bay, Wolf Bay, or on the east side....St. Mary's. I think the west side has more "typical" north bays that warm quicker. The East side seems to have more shoreline and some inlets/outlets on the north side.

The north shore line of any portion of the lake would be the spot. I usually take it one further and work the Northwest (first sun of the day)portion first. That is where I normally find early season pike, then as the sun moves I work towards the northeast side.

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

Hi All,
When looking for the "North side" of the lake for warmer water, you need to
break it down into bays. There are some
bays such as Pike, Stuntz and Armstrong
that are on the southern shore of the lake. All of these have a good spring walleye bite and they each have a north
shore.

Water temps will help determine where many of the walleyes will be, locating
a bay that is 1 or 2 degrees warmer can
make a world of difference.
Warmer water entering the lake from a river or creek will also attract good numbers of active walleye. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

Hmmm.....I'm confused by some of the replies(I understand each bay has a north side)....But if we are at Moccassin Point & want to head to the "warmer" northern side of the lake, where do we head?

Ideally looking for transition areas for smallies like flats, smaller rock, gravel, sand and/or hard dark bottom, all on the norhern side of Vermilion ( which would warm faster than the rest of the lake)....Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tripp

Hey Tripp,
How are things in Hotlanta? smile.gif

There will be smallmouth in all phases of spawning in June. It all depends on
where you are and what the water temps
are in that area.

The north side of bays may by that time be post spawn, while the south side may be prespawn.Adjusting your presentation
to the different situations, will help you catch more fish. smile.gif

The west end of Pine island has several
small bays that have good hard bottom
areas for spawning. They get the warm
afternoon sun and warm up before many other areas in that part of the lake. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

Hey Guideman,
I've been following this warm water fishin and it sounds like these waters should be fished after noon. Are the bays on the Islands NW of Gold Island decent Smallie bays? Being a City Boy I generally fish for the Big Mouths, but having caught a few Smallies I love the fight. Should I be looking for the pre-spawn, spawn, or post-spawn smallies? I would like to spend the afternoon's looking for fish other than the lazy mid-day eyes. Is there a good presentation for the Northerns through the Birch narrows and the NW side of Hindsdale Island? I know I'm full of questions, but if you are going to be doing the tourney, I can't pick your brain out in the boat. blush.gif

Terry, "You da man", I knew I could count on you to get me pointed in the right direction. Spring is in full bloom in Atlanta, pollen is everywhere. Funny thing is, every time I sneeze and say "smallmouth".

I'll be "up north" May 25th, the boys and I will look for on the lake.
~Tripp

PS- Suggestion for smallmouth guys: water temp < 53 degrees, throw small white or Perch hair jigs & light green or black/red flake tubes with 1/8 oz. lead head and HOLD ON ! Works every year ....

THe water temp is usually 50-55 when I visit over Memorial Day...could it possibly be 50 on the south side and 55 or 60 on the north side???? I know its a large lake, but... I never considered fish in the same lake could be both pre and post spawn. I thought it was "hit or miss" if I was there the correct week as it relates to water temp and how the fish are biting. This opens up a whole new possibility...lethargic post fish on the north side ...more active pre spawn fish on the south side???

Another topic...I'm prepared to fish slower this year which will mean I will have to snap off a few MORE jigs. Its nice to throw and swim the jig back without catching the rocks....should I fish slower?

Tripp....those white hair jigs have found the jaw of a few nice walleyes. We have to find time to catch something for shore lunch. Are you prepared to put on a slip bobber rig??

It can also be 55 on the east or south end and 45 on the north or west end, due to that end of the lake just being UP NORTH!
Can be overcast, windy and cool on the west end and clear, clam and a little warmer on the east end or vis versa?
smile.gif
Think about that one.
You just never know what she will throw your way, but it is all good.
The Big V is like a lot of different lakes in one.
Best way to approch it is to ask questions, learn a little of her at a time and move on to a new area.
Slow and easy and trying all kinds of different things as you go.
Lots of little Lakes in one all right.
Some deep, some shallow, some weeds, some rock, some bloom, some don't, some warm up fast, some warm up slow and some stay cool all summer.

just my take on what I have seen from my perch on our little Island Paradise?

Musky Tom Wehler

smile.gif
Musky Guide, lover of fine women, good food and loud rock -n- roll!

Slip bobber ? Trix are for kids.

Just kidding mbeyer...this year my new "trick" will be drop shotting for eyes. We'll see how long that lasts, I may be asking you to throw me one of those bobber stops after a few casts.

Back to smallies.....we catch most of our fish (after Memorial day) shallow < 6 ft. Anyone fish the 1st drop-off say 10-12ft for smallie at this time of year?
~Tripp