• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Always wanted to fish some Minnesota lakes. Problem was there are so many it took me 2 monthes to pick Vermilion. From what I here, it is a good choice. Anyway, looking for some advice on the lake. I'll will have my sons,ages 6 and 9, and would love to turn them on to some good fishing. Primarily a basshead, I really look forward to some pike although I here the smallmouth fishery is outstanding. Any tips I can get would be greatly appreciated. I am staying at white eagle resort July 20-July 27. Thanks! Charley

Hi Charlie,
You won't be disapointed, Vermilion is
a great fishery and the lake is awsome.
The pike action should be very good at that time of the summer, spinnerbaits
and buzzbaits get a lot of attention.

The smallies will be under docks, and
along the shoreline breaks. Jigs, tubes
topwaters, crankbaits and spinners will
all catch fish.....Keep an eye on this
board for more info as you get closer to your vacation. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

There are a lot of good smallmouth spots near White Eagle. Actually, my grand-daughter caught an 18"-er right off the dock in front of the resort!

Try the north shoreline of Ritchie Bay, Stovetop Reef, Merry-go-round reef, the rocks by the waterfall on Norwegian bay, and around the islands at the mouth of Partridge river.

All of those spots are near your camp.

Hans

CHarley,

Lake Vermilion has to be one of if not thee, most beautiful lakes in Minnesota! You made a fine choice!
I highly recommend spending a day with Guideman or Cliff or both during your stay. That could really speed up the learning curve on a big piece of water!!!

Have fun and rememebr to let us know how you did!! Your boys will have a blast!!!

Jim W

Thanks Guys! I've read some messages on the forum. How important is a hand held GPS? I would probably pick one up if it is highly recommended. I plan on doing everything I can to ensure that this is a good trip. I hope a 24 hr drive with 2 young boys and a wife who doesn't fish is worth the trip smile.gif Look forward to hearing from you.

Charley

A GPS can be nice on a complicated lake like Vermilion, if for nothing more that following the track back to camp when you go exploring.

I much prefer the console mounted models over the handhelds, however.

Hans

Hi Charlie,
A GPS would be a big plus as it is very
easy to get turned around on the Big V.
That way, you can save up all the good spots for your next trip. smile.gif

Believe me, you wll be back. <*))><

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com

Charley,
Last year was my first time on the Big V. Before I left I booked my Second time on Big V. It is a beautiful place no matter what end you stay at. But it is BIG.

As for GPS they are great for new waters. Especially if you get the Hot Spots map and initially configure your navigational points ahead of time. Sometimes the shore lines can all look the same. The GPS will at least help to get around with a bit more confidence. Plus if you like the outdoors to the point of hiking or whatever it makes it that much tougher to get lost. As for handheld or console your choice. Handhelds have mounts available to secure them on the boat, car or probably even a bike. The console is there in your boat. Oh yea if you get a handheld either get stock in a battery company wink.gif or get a plug-in power adaptor. I go through 2 AA batteries about 3-4 hours of continued use with my Magellen 330M. Did about the same with my buddy's Garmin etrex too.

Good luck and enjoy!

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

BD,

I've just purchased the Magellan 330m and was wondering how you like it? Also if you have found it helpful on Vermilion? I havn't recieved it yet and was just curious.
Thank You

Charley,

You'll love the smallmouth action on Vermilion. I usually visit on Memorial Day week and we throw ALOT of tubes and grub bodies of varoius colors. We fish the MANY rock piles,both mid lake and near the islands. We do quite well and most others are fishin'g for 'eyes....so you have a big lake to yourself. The year we went in July, we had great topwater action in shallow water. Keep looking for the rccks. The flyrod was workin' great that year

Last year was my 1st time out on Vermillion. Got some tips from a coworker as to where to start and did well 2 out 3 times out. And yes it is a complicated lake, went out in October and got caught in a snow storm, and over shot the bay that I launched in. It was a little hairy for a while before I figured out where the hell I was. Needless to say I now own a handheld GPS.

I plan on doing a lot more fishing on that puddle of water since it only about 45 miles from where I now live. It is definetly one of the best lakes that I have ever fished!!! cool.gif

WalleyeJ,

It is a nice unit overall. I personally like it over the Garman because the buttons are all in front. Easy for me to use. Got many bells and whistles. Much like the comprable Garmans. The software allows you to preload waypoints regions etc very easily.

I just got it this past winter but have played with it on vacation. Nice to be able to pick out points and follow the GPS right to the location without getting lost.

Last year I had my buddy's E trax up on V. Before we got the boat in the water I marked the dock where we were staying. Good thing I did because I almost drove past the dock. Plan on downloading the records I had on that into the Magellen so I have a good head start on the trip.

Like any new toy.. One good word of advice. Play with it in familiar territory FIRST it will make the trip that much more enjoyable. They only do as good a job as the operator.

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

sometime after july 4 when summer kicks in on tyhe big V I like to troll shad raps or wally divers in a fire tiger pattern for walleyes in the evening say from 6 to dark. here are the keys. find large structure reefs or islands close to deep water, start in 20' and work shallower as the sun lowers. Here is the tricky part your lure must make contact with the bottom once in a while but not snag. CJ

Last Fall was my first time on the Big V, and I spent it with Guideman. It was love at first sight. (with the lake, not Terry) wink.gif

I am making plans to get back there more this year, and dropping some of my trips to other places. You will have a blast on Vermilion, it is "God's Country" and the awesome fishing is just a bonus. Being on the water is the best part.

Hey guys, thanks again. One more question before I give it a break for a while. What lures are considered a must have for the trip? Pike and muskie are at the top of the list with walleye and smallmouth close behind

Charley

If I had to choose the most versatile bait (and not counting jig and plastics combinations) I'd go with the Original floating Rapala. Sizes F09, F11. F13. You could troll this for walleye at night, cast for walleye,bass, and the northern and muskie will hit this if your fishing the rock piles and not trying to pull through the weeds.

Charley
I have two small boys myself and am making the trip to Vermilion this year for the first time as well, however my wife loves to fish. We had been married for over ten years before I could get a fishing pole in her hands and now I almost wish I hadn't. Between her and the kids I hardly get a chance to get a line wet. But when she or one of the kids catch a fish and thier faces light up its worth it. You should try to get your wife out on the water. The first time she gets a hook into a nice smallie or pike she will want to go all the time. I'll let you know how we do in June. Good luck!!!
Rob W

Hi Charlie,
I am a pike and muskie freak!..get some
spinnerbaits!! smile.gif

Pick up 2 or 3 eagle tail spinnerbaits
for the muskie and some 3/8 to 3/4 oz, bass size baits, for the pike.

Any color will work, as long as it's white, I also throw a combinations of white/flo green, white/charteruse and white/yellow.

Spinnerbaits catch a lot of smallmouth as well and nothing beats them when it comes to catching northern pike, and I
mean NOTHING!

Bring a good selection, including some willow blades and a few dark colors.
Buzzbaits can be hot if the water temp
gets into the mid 60's by then. smile.gif

Man I can see it now!.....BIIIIG PIKE! smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by guideman (edited 04-14-2002).]

Rob, If I ever get my wife on the water, it will be a miracle (: !!

I am planning to fish this lake the first weekend in June - with a guide. I fished the lake twice 12 seasons ago. I was treated to a limmit of 2-3 lb walleyes in 20 minutes, great bass fishing, big bluegills, and I saw northern so big my knees shook for about 15 minutes. A guide, BTW, made it possible to get into those fish.

If the fishing is anywhere near what it used to be I'll probably be making several trips this season. (I haven't been back sooner because I just got my first boat last spring wink.gif

Hi GEO,
If you liked it before, your gona love it now! smile.gif I have been fishing the Big
"V" for about 35 years and the fishing has never been better, than it is right now.

The future looks even better as walleye
and muskie numbers are at all time high
levels. The Smallmouth bass fishing is
"World Class" in my opinion. Catching
20" smallmouth is almost common, and a
100 fish day is possible.....if you can stand it!... smile.gif

It's not all that far away, before you know it you'll be here having the best
fishig vacation of your life! smile.gif

See Ya in a few.....

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,
How much trolling and how effective is it on the lake. I'll be there in late July and my bass boat isn't rigged for trolling. If trolling is effective on the lake, and suggestions on an inexpensive way to rig my boat?
Thanks,
Charley

I am trolling 2.5 to 3 MPH (another good reason to have a GPS,accurate low speed indicator) if your big motor will not go that slow try dragging a drift sock. CJ