• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for suggestions on Fish Locators

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on what to look for when purchasing a new fish locator. I'm looking to spend about 300-400 on one. I"d like to get one that is more catered for open water fishing but if it did a fairly decent job for winter fishing taht would be great also. The two brands I've looked at were the vexilar and the garmin. Any help would be appreciated

I wouldn't go fishing without my Vexilar!!!
BUT...I only use it during the winter for ice fishing. And on remote canoe trips in the BWCAW to locate drop offs, reefs and fish. The Vexilar is a great locator for duel-season use if you can only afford one locator.
I have a Lowrance X65 on my guide boat and love it.
Just remember, usually you get what you pay for!
Almost all models out there have at least one very good locator for you in the $400.00 range.
It is a tough call until you have used a couple of different units and find one that has everything on it you want and need to match your type of fishing.
Good Fishing !
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Cliff:

I am in the market for a portable fish locator. Do the Lowrance models come in portable versions?

I have not used any Garmin locaters but have heard they are a good unit.
I own a Vexilar FL8. It is quite a few years old and still works great. The newer FL8's are even better.
I have heard good and bad on the newest FL18's.
The Lowrance X65 that I use also came in a portable model. I don't know if they make the X65 anymore but the X75 would have all the same features.
Good Fishing.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I bought a Garman 240 about 3 years ago, prior to that I had an Eagle. I see twice as much as I did with the Eagle and it really seems to be accurate. Even works pretty good at moderate speeds when I am cruising an area for structure.

If you get a display type unit get the highest pixels that you can afford. That is what I found to be one of the most important features on the unit.

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

I have owned Eagles and Lowrances. I use both these because they are completely waterproof. I have never had a problem with either unit. They have always been reliable and have been put through extremes regarding weather. I have had them Ice covered in the fall and water soaked in the summer. They have always kept working.

The new models I suggest are the Eagle Fishmark 240 or the Lowarnce X-71. They are basically the same unit with different names, the Eagle is a little better. Both these units will show you fish on the bottom or suspended fish in open water. If you want a few more bells and whistles you can get a Lowarnce X-91.

For ice fishing the vexilar is the way to go as Cliff stated.

David Swenson
httP://muskieguide.homestead.com/

[This message has been edited by David Swenson (edited 02-16-2002).]

If you can find an X-65 anywhere, thats what I would go with, Lowrance/Eagle, is redoing the looks of all thier fish locators, so the x65s are on clearance for around 200 most places. the x65 has a bulit in flasher mode, so It also works well for ice fishing,
the garmin 240 also has a flasher mode, but I dont think it's as good as the x65s, the x65s is and actual flasher dial displayed on the screen. if you cant find an x65, the x71 is the same thing, just diffrent looks and a new name, it will run you about 300. the biggest problem with using a lcd unit for ice fishing is that if it is out in the cold for to long the display can freez up, and you could ruin your locator.

Cranker,
you can make just about any fish locator protable by mounting in on an ice box for 30.bucks and about 7-8 bucks for a suction cup bracket for the transducer.

Like Dave, I have always used lowrance
or Eagle electronics, without a single problem.
The new X71 and X91 should fit all your needs, and the price is very reasonable
for both units.

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
www.aceguideservice.com