• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Time for Redtail Chubs!

Hi Friends,

Been focusing a little more time lately on walleye fishing. A bit of cooler late summer weather normally spurs little flurries of deep weedline fishing with redtail chubs. Over the past week, three separate small walleye lakes in the area have all produced a fair number of nice fish. And it's been an early morning or even mid-day pattern. Best depths have been between 19 to 27-feet of water, again, along distinct weedlines conaining nice mixes of deep cabbage and chara weed. A few rocks thrown in nearby may attract a few more walleyes also.

All I've been doing is slowly trolling with a circle hook rig, snelled on an 8-foot leader behind a 1/2 oz. bullet sinker. Been also running a single Northland Buckshot Rattle bead ahead of the hook. In addition to color and sound, these little babies also add bouyancy to your presentation. Simply slip the hook into and out one of the minnow's nares (nasal vents), lower the rig to the bottom and start creeping forward (or backtroll) along the edge. Once I see a few fish on the locator or Aqua Vu, it's time to stop moving to let the minnow wriggle and dance in front of the fish. Might take a couple minutes to "talk 'em into it" but if you're on a few fish, they will eventually bite. That's where wild redtail chubs really shine. No better minnow on earth for triggering neutral walleyes.

In addition to walleyes, you'll get bonus smallmouth and largemouth bass as well as pike. Might also find a school of big bluegills. Which reminds, me, this afternoon ought to be a perfect time to go score of few slabs on the rocks. Talk to you folks again soon!

-a friend called Toad

P.S. The big pike bite on Gull really slowed down over the weekend. Look for a resurgence of activity as these midweek rains approach.

Toad, would you recommend the presentation you have described at Round Lake(Brainerd) over Labor Day weekend? I spend the Opener on Round but haven't tried it in late summer/ early fall. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Hi bloodshot,

Oh yah, redtails always produce fish on Round. I'd also bring along some big crawlers if you can get 'em. Early September is often transition time just before turnover (sometimes during). Best strategy for me at this time is to simply check a lot of different spots. You'll be catching one fish here, three there, two over there, etc.

Try slow trolling the entire western shoreline, hugging the long weedy points that extend into the lake. It's a fairly sharp breakline, so slow, precise boat control is key-- the real active fish often hug super tight to the weededge. You're looking at depths between 14 and maybe 20 feet of water.

Then into the main basin give the humps a quick check. These structures can be excellent when the fish are using them.

For GPS coordinates check out Sybill Smith's revised Brainerd Area Fishing Guide. It offers the most detailed (and accurate) maps of area lakes you'll find. Good stuff. Check back here in a week or so
(before your trip); as you know, things can change quickly at this time of year. Enjoy your fishing!

-a friend called Toad

Hey Drew,

Redtails seem fairly easy to find right now. S&W on 371 North is in my opinion the #1 place for livebait in the area. They'll sometimes even allow sorting by size (if you're extra nice). They're running $6.50 to $7.50 a dozen right now.

Other places where I've seen redtails lately-- Breezy Oasis, Koep's, Tutt's in Garrison and the Holiday station near Potlatch on Hwy 25. Get 'em while they're hot! 'Cause come September-- especially as wild ricing season starts-- you'll have a much harder time finding redtails.

-a friend called Toad

Was at S & W yesterday to pick up a dozen redtails and some fatheads. Redtails were 7.50/ dozen, and they let me hand pick em smile.gif
Paul

Toad -
When you use the presentation that you talked about above, do you ever hook your redtail under the dorsal fin and slow troll the weedlines with the redtail swimming up off the bottom ( the lindy sinker is dragging on the bottom and anchoring the redtail )? Don't know if this makes sense - I have pretty good luck with turned off walleyes this way.
Paul

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you. You bet hooking behind the dorsal works (but you already knew that). Mostly wanted to point out that most anglers pierce the minnow's upper lip with a hook, when by simply sliping it through one of it's nasal openings the minnow will last longer and kick a little harder.

I agree that once you find some fish clustered into a certain area, reverse rigging (hooking behind the dorsal) will trigger a few more fish. Also think that sometimes, by pulling the minnow slowly backwards you're attracting fish with a different look. This can be especially good on pressured fish that have become used to seeing the same minnows dragged around the in the same manner.

Tweeking your livebait presentations remains one of the most fascinating elements of fishing. Things like ultra long rods (8 to 9 foot steelhead rods), circle hooks, DAMYL Tectan line, ant swivels and super wild bait-- it's a wonder the fish can ever say no, right?

Take care, Paul. Hope to see you up at Leech on September 8.

-a friend called Toad

Toad, I just wanted to check in with you regarding Round Lake. As I had posted earlier, I am planning a trip this Saturday in hopes of luring the ever so elusive walleye. Any last minute recommendations or tips on emerging patterns would be helpful. Thanks .

bloodshot,

I'll be out there on a trip tomorrow (Thursday). Will let you know how it goes.

-a friend called Toad