• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brainerd area Mississippi smallmouth

I'm going to be spending some time in the Brainerd area during the 3rd week in September and am unfamiliar with this area, but VERY INTERESTED in catching a few Mississippi River smallies. Any suggestions?
Access areas? Lodging? "Normal" early fall patterns? Hire guide 1st time out? Thanks in advance!

Freckled Lady Bucket

[This message has been edited by Freckled Lady Bucket (edited 07-21-2001).]

Great time to visit the river! (Is there such thing as a bad time?) Best smallmouth fishing occurs between St. Cloud and Monticello, but the Brainerd to Little Falls stretch is no slouch either.

Low water at this time, does, however, warrant caution, as rocks and stumps abound. Hopefully, you've got a jonboat or other smaller craft. Also, wading can offer incredible sport in early fall.

Small brown tube jigs, rattling plugs, Shad Rap RS's or similar crayfish pattern lures and topwater baits are all worth bringing along. Look for the upstream portions of deeper holes on river bends. Concentrate on crushed rock, behind big boulders and near snag piles.

Also, if there's been a good bit of rain and feeder creeks begin back up with reverse flow from the main river, hold on to your rod. In these cases you can experience a virtual bonanza of smallmouth action in these "backed up" feeder creeks. Doesn't happen but every third fall or so, but it bears mentioning because it produces the best fishing you'll ever see on the river.

Choosing a good stretch is kinda subjective. There are pockets of fish in every stretch. The lesser pressure areas (a real relative thing) are around Ft. Ripley, south of Crow Wing State Park. Crow Wing Park, though, is a neat little historical site. Plus, it offers campsites and boat launching facilities.

I've babbled on long enough, so if you have any other questions, let me know. Might wanna check back on conditions also, as we approach your dates. Enjoy your fishing. You've picked a good one in the river.

-a friend called Toad

Toad,

How's the stretch of the river between the Potlach dam and the public access just down stream from there? I've never fished this stretch of the river, but was thinking about giving it a try. Am I asking for trouble if I take a motorless rowboat out there? Or is the current manageable as long as I keep a safe distance away from the dam?

AWH

For me I like to fish the river in the fall as the water is lower and it is easier for me to find the bolders. I have had my best luck with an inline mepps gold spinner. Actually I make them myself since I lose so many. For some reason they really like the gold, never caught anything on a silver though. It also seems like you have to cast fairly close to the cover they are in or behind to get them to come out.
good luck
-sunfish

AWH,

The short stretch between the cememtery access and the dam is a good one, although it really shines during the coldwater periods for walleyes. Pick a cool overcast day in February or November, you can have 50 fish days out there.

If you're thinking of toting a rowboat out there you might want to throw on a pair of old tennis shoes and cutoffs. The current may not look too bad at first glance, but rowing upstream could be a trick unless you're in pretty good shape. Might wanna pull a boat behind you as you wade. Then throw an anchor in the boat, so you can hook up on good spots. Or just plain wading is a real fun way to fish the river-- the best way to really get to know all the little details and contours.

I've been spending a good bit of time on the river near there lately. Excellent smallmouth fishing overall-- you might even run into an evening topwater bite if you're lucky. Also spotted a couple nice 'skies down near Boom Park. Next task, find those elusive channel cats . . .

Enjoy your fishing.

-a friend called Toad

Toad,

Thanks for the response. Just for the record, I'm not freckled nor a lady, that's just my English Springer's AKC name.

Not much smallmouth water in SW Iowa, aside from the Middle Raccoon, so I'm chomping at the bit to get onto the Mississippi. I fished it a couple of days (in the late 80's) in waders at Ripley and also the city park in Sauk/Saint Cloud and had a riot. Been to the Quetico twice and several NE Iowa river trips, but am anxious to try your area for 3-4 days.

Through your feedback, I'm going to assume that a good overall option would be to tent camp at Crow Wing Park and use the nearby access as a base. Making a decision on where to stay is my only "urgent" need so I can plan accordingly. Patterns, water conditions, etc. can all be dealt with later.

I'll certainly be looking for the "backed up" feeder creek thing, if it happens this year. Overall, presentation should be relatively straightforward, I'll just need to familiarize myself with a section of river first. My buddy who will be going along perked up with the mention of muskies, and unless things on the river changed over the past dozen years, there will be plenty of walleyes caught incidental to the bass, especially on cranks.

We will be using a 16' bass-john w/25 tiller & 46# bow electric...which I'm assuming will be great for the river this time of year. We'll definitely pack the waders also! With any luck, we'll also hit the peak of the sumac colors, along with a few early maples changing color. Only problem with this deal is that it's still 7 weeks away.

Thanks also to sunfish for the gold Mepps tip. I appreciate it.

Freckled Lady Bucket

[This message has been edited by Freckled Lady Bucket (edited 07-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Freckled Lady Bucket (edited 07-30-2001).]

Freckled-

I think you might be mistaking me for Mr. Stange or Mr. Hoffman (both Iowa catfish boys). While I'm certainly a catman and a river nut, I'm neither of these two fellas; although I do write for the magazine a few times a year.

By the way, I am quite familiar with Iowa catfishing. Some real dandy river fishing down there. I do have relatives from the Ft. Dodge area, so I get to fish and pheasant hunt a couple times each season. Take care.

-a friend called Toad

Toad,

I apologize...my mistake.

My immediate question still remains:

"Through your feedback, I'm going to assume that a good overall option would be to tent camp at Crow Wing Park and use the nearby access as a base. Making a decision on where to stay is my only "urgent" need so I can plan accordingly. Patterns, water conditions, etc. can all be dealt with later."

Would this be a logical approach, or am I missing important options?

By the way, it's nice to have a friend in fishing. I appreciate your time, talent and sincerity.
Freckled Lady Bucket

FLB-
If this is any help, and I don't know if you guys covered this material or not (I don't know the names of the launches and what not around Brainerd) I fished the ole' Miss in in Brainerd in mid-Sept. a few years back and the smallies were going nuts. We launched somewhere near/in the city limits. I had a large boat and had a heck of a time going up stream towards a dam because of the shallow water. At the dam the smallies were hot and the only thing that caught them on this particular day was red tail chubs (I think that's the name). There was an older fellow there that caught smallies on every cast with the live bait!

Freckled,

Crow Wing State Park would be my choice if I wanted to stay near the river and din't mind doing the campfire thing (I love the campfire thing). Phone number's (218) 829-8022. They offer showers, drinking water and other facilities.

In addition to the Miss, you can head right up the Crow Wing River for some overlooked fall smallmouth action.

-a friend called Toad

Thanks to all!

I'll begin looking for more specifics about a week prior to departure...the campground sounds like a great "home 20".

Freckled Lady Bucket