• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

....any tips out there on Nite Troll'g area lakes.......depths ?? cranks -size and color ??

BIG,

Most years long about now a lot of night trollers switch from Rapala type minnow plugs to stouter plugs like a Shad Rap. Usually the 60-degree mark means Shad Rap type stuff starts working, though minnow plugs will continue to produce all year long in some conditions.

The one thing I've been doing the past year or so is to troll in much shallower water-- both when boat traffic gets intense and with a bit of wind. If you've ever spotlighted shallow shorelines at night, you've likely seen good numbers of baitfish and big walleyes in water no deeper than a foot or two. Pretty tough to troll those depths without boards at night (which is no small task in itself). You can, however, cast to these fish, which is another option that most night anglers overlook.

When I say trolling shallow, though, this year I'm talking depths in the 3, 4 and 5 foot range. Done better in these depths this spring than out near the drop off edge where most of the effort goes.

Guess to me, color and specific bait choice are most always secondary to depth and speed of a lure. Not that it doesn't matter, but it's real easy to get too caught up in the "magic bait" and overlook the obvious. For what it's worth, my favorite color schemes are blue/white and perch. If you get a chance, try the Nils Master, Salmo and D.A.M. lines of lures. Real sleeper baits. Have a good one.

-a friend called Toad

Borch,

Guess I don't usually give a whole lot of thought as to which access is safest-- only experienced one "incident" (that I won't talk about here) at an area access in twenty plus years.

At any rate, this year, I've been using the 371 Hole-In-the-Day access for both Gull and Round. The parking lot is lit and there's a lot of activity so I wouldn't worry too much about gear left in the truck.

Both designated accesses on Round are so shallow that I usually don't bother. Just go out on the 371 Gull access and cruise through the channel.

On Pelican I had been using the one just north of Breezy Point in Moosel Bay. But last time out I used the Nelson Bay access on the SW side of the lake-- this is the one I'd use for night fishing. Just watch for Slug Island at night. It's a prop chewer. Let us know how it goes.

-a friend called Toad

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Toad,

Which landing would be best(safest for vehicle and any gear left behind)for nite fishing on Gull, Round or Pelican? Might make a trip there this weekend or in the near future. Thanks.

....Toad....are you using an AquaView??
....age? Model? Would you buy the same one again??

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well we fished between the storms Firday night. Kept one 17" eye, threw back one 22" eye and several little ones. Didn't begin to touch the available structure there.

What's the deal with the 371 access being closed from midnight to 5 am. There were still a couple rigs there when I left at 12:45 am. There isn't any gates to the access, so what do they do if your there later. I noticed it on my map listing for the access otherwise it isn't posted very well at the landing.

P.S.

Toad, You didn't lose a #14 Huskey Jerk on Polks Flat did you? Found one with a #5 shad rap with about 50 feet of fire line attached. If you did tell me which color and I'll return it. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 06-09-2001).]

BIG,

Yes, I've been tinkering with an Aqua Vu ever since they were introduced, what?, five or so years ago. The model I now own is the AV 2 IR (infra red). I'll be going to the new version with the tilting view chamber soon. Gotta say, this is the most incredible fishing tool I've seen come along in one heck of a long time. You'll learn more than you can imagine.

Borch,

No, I was out of town this weekend, so sounds like you've got a new bait. Glad you got a few fish. As to the access, so long as you launch before midnight you won't have a problem. Think the sign's mostly to keep noise down for people living in surrounding houses. Sounds like you're on the right track with the trolling. Keep at 'er!

-a friend called Toad