• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have fished for smallies on the Miss.between Monticello and St Cloud a lot but have always had trouble when the river runs high and dirty.A buddy and I are opening the bass season near Monticello and could use some advice.Any thoughts or tips on fishing for smallies in the high water would be helpful.Thanks in advance.

Hey, I'm a fishhead too, what do you know! Actually river smallmouth fishing in high water is both easier and more difficult.

It's easier because the fish move to fairly predictable spots-- good shallow shore-connected slackwater areas containing lots of cover. These are often inside bends or areas in and around current seams close to feeder creeks. Often, too, smallmouths will move up into the feeder creek itself-- especially if good cover is available there.

*Think-- 'tight to shorelines, shallow water, good cover and plenty of slack water.'

My favorite highwater spots often are those with live flooded bushes or trees. But again, the cover needs to either provide plenty of slack water, or lie on an inside bend where current is minimized. One other excellent spot is the slack water behind a large boulder in the middle of a shallow riffle area.

Of course, as I mentioned, high water can also be tough because it tends to spread the fish out, rather than consolidating them in deep holes as happens in stable water.

With the cooler temps we've had lately, I might be more apt to throw a tube jig than anything else. Though if you get out on a nice sunny day, certainly don't discount something like a crayfish patterned Fat Rap. Enjoy the river. And remember-- the fish are always biting . . .

-a friend called Toad

Thanks Toad,
Your advice really was right on the target today.My buddy and I boated near 3 dozen decent bass in the 15 to 17 inch range with a couple 19's and a 20.We slipped along the inside turns where there was less current and pithced spinner baits into the slack water pockets along the bank.All the fish came right off the bank.The first hour we caught more trees than anything else but after we got our casting arms back we really got on the fish.Boat control was a little tricky in the faster than normal current but I finally got the hang of it and it turned out to be a great bass opener.Current speed was 4 to 6mph and water temp was 59 to 60.
Thanks again
fishhead