• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Report: Fall walleye showing promise.

The higher water and cloudy conditions from the recent heavy rains has deterred many anglers from testing the Red for fall walleye. That is a bit of a mistake I would have to say. The bite has certainly begun all up and down the Red River and it's associated tributaries.

The Red River has cleared up dramatically and the cooling water temps will aid this pattern into late fall. The tributaries have been clear for some time now and they have been producing some excellent walleye. My biggest tip right now would be test the Tribs near you and do not get hung up on the idea they will be "Deep". Odds are very good they are shallow both day and night, and especially at night.

Since the falling leaves has begun to clutter up the water I have had my best overall luck with jigs. Jigs equipped with white plastics has been by far my best producer, bulky white plastics at that. I am sure to carry lots of 4" double tail white twisters this time of year, for me live minnows are a secondary concern. Many times live bait is not needed but as the water temp continues to fall they most certainly will be.

If sitting on the river bank with a campfire at night is your plan, I would try large white suckers or frogs set on slip rigs over shallow mud flats. Tribs with little to no flow may be good candidates for suckers on floats set on the high side of a sharp bend leading into a mud flat.

Soon it will be time to chuck them cranks after dark. I would test it now, and I do but the leaves tend to aggravate me enough to send me back to jigs. On cleaners areas a minnow bait style crank like a Bomber Long A is a solid bet for big walleye at night. Just keep them S-L-O-W and steady on the retrieve.

Fishing is on the move and getting better, lets all get out and enjoy some excellent fall fishing and scenery.

Good luck, and Please practice Selective Harvest!

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

Very cool, BWE. Thanks for the great layout for fall river fishing. Just thinking about it gets me fired up.

MJ

Hey Ed,

You know, I've been reading your posts for a couple of years now, and I gotta say I really appreciate you sharing some of your expertise on fishing the Red.

One of these days I'm going to book an evening on the river with you. Hmmmm...is it near impossible to get out with you now before the river freezes? I have a two week block of vacation coming up soon.

Have you seen old Frank and his dog Pancho around the north dam lately?? I used to hang out down there when my son was younger and got to know him pretty well. He sure thought the world of you. smile.gif

Zelek when your off on vacation drop me a heads up and I will see what looks good. If it is something that you may be up for maybe we can try a day prowling for walleye?

Ya you bertch-ya..I know Frank and Pancho! Come to think of it, I have not bumped into them since this spring, or early summer maybe?

He is likely fishing somewhere, he does do the lake thing a lot in the summer. I like Frank, he is an OK guy for a Crabby Ol' Fart. smile.gif Ol' Poncho is Purdy darn cool too. Odds are good if he is still kick'n we will bump into him soon on the river. If you see him tell him I said Howdy, OK.

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

Here is another piece of the puzzle to the developing early fall walleye bite. I may have found why they are now so fond of bulky white plastics? I assume they go for the white because they are hunting frogs, that may be true but I have found another connection.

What the walleye on the tribs here are feeding heavily on is new hatch Freshwater Drum. Them Piggy's are gorging on them, just stuffed to the gills and still poking down even more.

I cleaned (4) 2.5# walleye tonight and every one had handfuls of young 4" Freshwater Drum in there stomachs. I released a few more walleye up to 7#, it burped up a fresh drum in the net. So I think it is safe to say, at least in the tribs I have been frequenting, them walleye sure are drum crazy right now.

Kinda explains their definite preference for white maybe? A good working theory for now anyhow?

When I have seen this pattern before I have done well with 4" White/silver Tube bodies on jigs. I think I will try some tubes next and see if they gobble them as fast as they are these young drum. Worth a shot?

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 10-08-2004).]

Hey Ed, what you doing Sunday? Or MOnday?

I have done nothing but work for the last 3 weeks.. .I need a day or two of fishing bad...

I going somewhere but not sure where yet..........

Heck give me a call if your up for it, I can bring down the RP and you could show me around your hunting grounds, I have never been down there on the water. Would make for a good change of pace.

Ring Ring Ring.. fish are calling......................

Later

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
River Pro

Red River, Red Lake River ,for Channel Cats & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442