• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey everyone. I was just checking what the latest report is up at selkirk. I talked my wife into going shopping in Winnipeg, and thus get to go fishing on august 27, 28 and 29th. We'll mostly be fishing cats, but might try for some walleye/sauger. Are frogs typically a good bait up there?
Can we take live ones across the border? We'll have frozen suckers, frozen frogs and possibly some live frogs if we can transport them. Thanks for the info. I'll leave a report how the fishing was for us.

Live frogs are a no-no when crossing the border. Freeze lots of them and you'll be fine.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

There's a total ban on "ALL" live bait being transported in Canada.
Frozen frogs are permitted as are most forms
of frozen fish ie. suckers.
The river's producing loads of kitties this is due to the cooler temps that have rolled thru the region. You can expect to experience and enjoy some great action!

FISH HARD/GOLF HARD!

I hope the "loads of kitties" trend continues through Labor Day Weekend! See you soon Stu! Any 20#+ coming out?

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Dark30: Don't worry about getting a single 20lber. I was out on Tues with 2 guys and in 4 hrs the tally was 24 kitties with 16 of them being master anglers. I didn't have scales but have weighed enough this summer to be able to give a good estimate and there was one there that would go 28 lbs. They are fat for so early in the year.

Dark30 I plan to be up North that weekend too, if nothing changes that is. So odds are good we can do some sumo's together if you got the time.

It should be great fishing! Bring some BIG sturdy cranks with too. Cranks like shallow runners with a wide wobble. Hot colors and dark high contrasting colors are a wise choice. I have a couple of hot picks on kitty cranks for you if your interested drop me an e-mail and I will tip you off. If the crank bite is on, you will want to give it a go. I have been casting 65# Power Pro for the cats, they hit very very hard. It can scare the #$%$ out of ya when they hit Eh!

I would get fresh Goldeye ASAP when you get there, and stomp some frogs up. I always do very well with shrimp at night this time of year too, or them smelly Pronds-Fronds-whatever things.

The night bite is a hoot, you do not have to run far at night to get into sumo's. Be sure to quiz Canuck and Stu on good night spots. I have scored many a 30 at night this time of year.

I am all up to be there, it will be cool to see ya there too.

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

Dark30 here is some info on the latest conditions up north. A bit of water headed in, not a lot, and that is not too shabby a deal for the sumo bite. It may dirty it up some for the walleye depending on what and where a guy looked for them?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Provisional Weekly River Flow Report
August 26, 2004

Flows and levels of most rivers declined during the past week. However some smaller streams in areas from southwest to northeast of Winnipeg area rose due to heavy rain late Monday night to early Tuesday.

Thundershowers dumped 60-75 mm of rain along a line from Sanford to Headingley to St. Andrews to Bissett. Nearby areas received somewhat lesser amounts and other areas of Manitoba had generally less than 15 mm.

The second rainstorm of the week brought 25-35 mm of rain to much of southern Manitoba. Some areas near Altona and Fort Garry (southern Winnipeg) received close to 70 mm. This rain has caused saturated fields and standing water in many areas of southern Manitoba. Smaller streams will rise in the next few days and larger streams will rise somewhat next week as a result of this rain. All streams will remain well within their banks, although some ditches in the heavy rain areas may have heavy flows for the next few days. Heavy crop growth is slowing down runoff from these storms.

Flows on the Red River, the Winnipeg River, the Assiniboine River, the Souris River and the Pembina River are between the median and the upper decile.

Roseau River flows remain above the upper decile but have been declining rapidly.

Flows on the Saskatchewan River and the Churchill River are near average while flows on the Waterhen and Fairford Rivers remain well below average.

Flows are expected to rise on most tributaries of the Red River and the Assiniboine River from now until early next week. Mainstem rises should be less than two feet. Some rises are also expected on the Whitemud River and some streams in the Riding Mountain area.

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

Thanks Ed! I looked at the gauge readings for some of the areas along the Red and it does look like some moderate rising water. I'm glad to hear your going to be up there hunting too! I'll be traveling with the "Angler Formerly Known As Fishhead". He will be bringing his RP so we'll have room for some company.

As far as bait goes, we can bring dead suckers I guess but I kinda figured on catching the bait up there. I will be bringing an arsenal of rapalas also...Hope the water isn't too dirty. Maybe even some Tails for a green back or two eh?

Canuck, I only need one channel over 20 to get my catfishing merit badge from Moyer....I'll gladley catch more than one if you insist! smile.gif

------------------

You and the world renowned cat-fisherman formerly know as Fishhead, Oh boy...sounds like the Frog Stomp has hit the road headed North this year Eh.

I may have my son Ian with on this trip, and if his schedule works out the catfish addict still widely known as Big "Cork'n Sucks" Shanon Bredeson may be up too.

Do you guys plan to stay at Cats on the Red?

If so will you have 4 guys in the cabin? If not maybe we can all bunk up and split the costs. That way we save all of us some Canadian Cha-Ching Eh? The cabins have 4 beds and a fold out futon so there would be room, we have done it before.

wink.gif

Yup..sounds like a hoot to me!

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

Ya, at Stu's place. I got something to stay at....don't know if its a cabin or room. I guess I'd better find out some details. We're driving up on Sat and coming back on Wed morning. Three days of fishng sumo kitties..BUMMER! smile.gif

------------------

Ya..a couple hundred sumos, or more, that will suck Eh.

wink.gif

Remember..keep your fingers out of these Kitty's puss's, they will give ya a love bite that you will Long remember. Not like them weenie Flatheads you like to play with Eh. grin.gif

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

hey everyone. just got back from lockport. the fishing was okay. two of us fished from around 7:30am on saturday and sunday til 3:30pm sat, and 1:30pm sun. we caught 30 fish with half of them over #20. #25 was the biggest. it was a double with a #23. that made for some interesting netting between the two of us. we didn't see or hear of anyone else slammin'em while we were there, but there was at least enough action to keep interested. wish we could have fished afternoon/evening/night bites, but we had our wives along and they don't fish. next time. frogs seemed to work best, but we ran out quickly. even the tiny little ones worked. suckers worked too, we after we ran out of frogs; we weren't sure if our bite slowed because the fish quit or they just preferred frogs. it was still a good trip and still beats work. good luck.

zpinca: Was that U four that were pulling out late Sunday, your big motor has a stainless prop? I had company in from Alberta and drove down just to show them the river and spoke briefly with you but didn't realize it was you. That is some nice boat.......... At least U didn't have rain and the weekend was half decent.

Canuck they pulled the plug on the Red here, it dropped about 3 feet in as many days.

The Corp shut down Orwell Dam on the Otter Tail River I was told, for maintenance. They do it almost every fall yet this is kinda early for that if my memory serves me right?

So if there is not much run off from the last rains between me and you, it will drop very fast in a few days up your way. Be sure to mention it to Stu just in case the winds also decide to howl from the South, he may wish to adjust a few things on the docks.

Not exactly what I wanted to see happen before this weekend. Maybe it will rebound and not be a big deal, sure hope it does.

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

canuck, that wasn't us. there was just two of us, and we had a black over tan crestliner behind a new gray chevy pickup. next time we get up there, we'll have to chat over a cold one on stu's deck.

zpinca: Most diffently. Nothing beats a cold one on that deck swapping lies. Or maybe a few sunfish cooked up by Stu. Don't be shy when U get up would like to meet fellow board members.