• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does stink bait produce on the Red?
How's the flow right now? Would I be able to get around in a small boat?
Thanks for any input.
cookboy

Where on the Red are you planning on fishing? You can get by almost everywhere with a small boat on the Red. As far as stinkbait goes, you probably will catch cats, but you'd be much better off with frogs, suckers, or fresh cut bait. If using frogs or suckers, we either cut them or roll them under our foot to get the blood flowing.

We did watch some fellas from Nebraska and South Dakota absolutely hammer the cats at the dam in Lockport last week. They were using Sonny's brand.

As far as the flow goes, I'd bet that it's up a little from the rain, but don't know for sure.

Good Luck-
MJ

Yep, up a little, but it's not high by any means. Very fishable. Like MJ said, I'd try other options this late in the summer. Hoppers are my favorites this time of year, but cuts will produce too.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

I plan on putting in north of Fargo wherever there is an access. I'd be willing to drive a little further north if it's worth it. We have to drive back to Detroit Lakes at the end of the day.
When refering to suckers are you guys talking about big sucker minnows cut up?
I assume the frogs are just leopard frogs in a bag tossed in the freezer, is this right?
How big do the cats get around the Fargo area?
I really appreciate the advice. grin.gif
The buddy I'm going out with is from Duluth. We've fished the St.Louis for cats with stink bait and we do pretty good most times but, the size is small. My biggest there is about 4lbs.
Thanks again.

Yes sir their right about the sucker minnows. Anything bigger the 5 or 6 inches and up will work. Ones about 5 to 9" can be cut across the back giving you peices about 1 sq. inch. That be about the size your could start with. You can even try bigger if you'd like.

Your right with the leopard frogs, but why freeze them, they work just the same when you take the out of a minnow pail alive.

As far as size in the Fargo area. I guessing that a real big one would go 15lbs. I'm sure bigger ones are caught but no as often.

Good luck and tight lines.

[This message has been edited by ibwhnt (edited 08-11-2004).]

25 pounds class cats are very do-able in the Fargo area. The most common year class's will be 22" to 24" with many smaller eaters mixed in.

Good hunting, watch the water and not the electronics when running, and you will save yourself some props. wink.gif

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

I'm no longer a Red River Virgin. Yesterday was the big day and it went well. We caught about 12 cats for 5 hours fishing, most were smaller eatin' size and 2 were about 25".
The stink bait out fished cut suckers by about 4 to 1.
I'll be making more trips to the Red for sure.
Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice.