• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I fished the Red last night with a buddy and his little boy. We had plenty of peckers, but not a lot of takers. I didn't have time to nab some frogs, so I'm guessing we didn't have the right dish on the menu for them. We had lots of action and landed a few. I'll be loaded up with frogs tomorrow when I go.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

scoot,

I have been having the same results with frogs lots of pecks and no hard grabs. I am guessing they are not feeding real hard yet! The fish that I have been catching have been ranging from the 3-9 pound range, no giants yet.,

Good luck everyone

For what it's worth...I feel it boils down to a "Bait of Opportunity" situation.

Frogs are very high on cats list of coffee table snacks, if they are there in numbers. They seldom turn them hoppers down if they bump into one injured, odds are it will be chow. Yet they are a seasonal opportunity, and often shine more brightly in the proper seasonal context.

The wacky deal is this season the whole seasonal cycle appears to be a few weeks behind "Normal", whatever normal is to Mother Nature...I don't know?

Cooler temps have the hatch late and most of the new crop hoppers still in heavy cover and difficult to locate. I think the same is true with the older hoppers too, still dug in for the most part. This should change soon, like as fast as the crops start getting knocked off the fields, then the hoppers will mysteriously appear in numbers.

Fish-um if ya got them, but keep the cuts and other options close at hand. We did very well in Canada this past week with cuts. I would have used more frogs but they were sparse there for me so I went with the tried and true cut Goldeye/Mooneye.

Other options are there too, like cranks. Dark30 can attest to that deal. I hammered cats up to 38" this trip on big shallow cranks. That is a huge thrill man, WOW to they hit HARD! Granted it is a situational presentation and seldom shines on all waters and in all areas where cats feed. Crank'n Cats is an ambush feeding scenario that does pop up more then many anglers know understand or recognize.

Flexibility is key, if this is not working, try that...and that...and.......you get the idea. Just keep after them and always keep your eyes open for a clue to what they are up to now.

Eh...I Bumped into Rod too Scoot. We chatted, very nice guy your Dad is Eh. Which I had more time to chat with him even more, but them Sumo's were a call'n me back. He was watching me cranks sumo's too, so ask him about it once. smile.gif

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

I asked him Ed. He said you were using one "odd ball" technique paired up with another "odball technique" and outfishing his butt 3:1! He said they couldn't figure out what the heck you were doing, but they knew that you were catching fish doing it. Sounds like yet another innovative cattin' technique. I wish I coulda been there.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

"Yup..."Odd Ball" is what I do best Eh. wink.gif

LOL!

Yup-Yup...Whatever blows yur skirt up..That's what I always say..Yup-Yup.

smile.gif

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]