• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Everyone, I was fishing near Drayton with a buddy of mine last Saturday and caught a catfish that looked as if it was on a diet! The fish was 18lbs on the scale, but I'll bet it would have been 25+lbs if it had a belly (Possibly Bigger). I wish I would have measured it so I could compare, but didn't think of it. I've been fishing for Catfish for a while now and have caught numerous fish 20-22lbs and this was atleast 4-5 inches longer, the head was way bigger than any of the 20's I've caught, and the tail was very large as well. I guess I can only wonder what it would have weighed if It had a belly on it.

After catching that catfish (even though it was skinny) I have alot more confidence that there is a new state record Channel Cat just sitting out there waiting to be caught.

Well, just thought I'd share my story with ya'll.

Also is the red starting to drop already? The water was up a ways in Drayton on Saturday, but I just looked at the NWS Graph and it showed the river is going down?

Thanks...Good Luck Fishing

------------------
CatMan

Im thinking that was a big female and she just got done spawning.. With any luck the big kitties will start feeding pretty darn soon...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

I'm sure Wiskers is right. Sounds like a lady who got done finishing her business recently. Should be about time for the large gals to recoop some energy and hit the dinner table.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

Hey, I didn't even think of that...That's probably what it was. Hopefuly this means the big cats will be out for this Saturday's catfish tournament in Drayton! There's nothing better than seeing lots of anglers bring in big fish. Now, just if I can be one of those people? I guess we'll see.

Good Luck Fishing...

------------------
CatMan

Could be either gender in a skinny post spawn stage really?

The males stay on the nest for up to 14 days without actively feeding, so they Purdy darn skinny by the time they abandon the brood ball.

Females generally are back on the chow quickest. They drop their eggs and they move on to do whatever turns them on. A week is about all the recuperation time females need. Generally the males just go eat as soon as they get off the brood.

The oddly fluctuating water temps this season on the rivers may have some impact on post spawn recuperation time too?
I am not 100% sure about that, but it is a good bet it has.

By this week we should see a more consistent bite emerge in the region, it has been very spotty for me too.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]

><,sUMo,>

Hey Glad to hear it from you too Ed.. Man the cats are eating like crazy up here but they are all the nonspawn ages.. ??? tons of 2-4#ers.. The big cats are just playing very hard to get for some reason for way too long now.. Every now and again you will get a 8-10.. but not like it should be.

Hummmmmm.. Maybe they are on summer vacation in Canada?????????? Heck Maybe Stu has been putting out them chum blocks the size of a VW and drawing them up north LOL.....

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442