• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kent,

The last time I crossed, I was laughed at with my driver's lisence. The gal told me that she'd let me in without a birth cert., but that if I ever tried to enter without one again, I'd be going home with my tail between my legs.
I don't know if it's required or not, but it's certainly a good idea to have with. I'll definitely not be going up without one again.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

Ya a birth Cert. is a must.. I went and got a pasport now so that should be good to go.. no more hassels...

I am not sure about all the crossings but Pemina is very on the ball..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Scoot, you sure they weren't laughing at the picture. Kidding, I had better keep a copy of it for myself then. Say Rusty what the passport set you back. Thanks Guys.

Well the Pasport only was about $85. took about 5 weeks to get.. It is worth every penny.

That will cover you for any vacation also.. you can go any where now. lol.

Rusty

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

fished from 3:30pm till 6:00 pm caught 4 nice cats and lost about 8 others due to old line and snags...heres a few pics
47b4db34b3127ccebedf861a7ace0000001610
47b4db34b3127ccebedf819ebbe10000002611
47b4db34b3127ccebedf8641fba50000001610
47b4db34b3127ccebedf8623fbc70000002611

If U notice behind Ryan's pics you will see one section of the locks open. They opened the locks about 8AM on Sat. Eddy and Rusty I am sure when they get back on Monday will rub alittle salt into those that couldn't make it up. The wind and open locks made fishing alittle harder but the waters are still very fishable. With 3 lines and only 4 hrs of fishing we landed 20 kittkes (1 til 5PM) with several over the magical 20 lb range. There were several hookups missed due to one person just learning how to fish but once she got on to it she not only got the longest but heaviest fish too.

Some guys who are very knowledgable about cat fishing quit after 100 or 80 kitties in just 8 hrs, so U see what was predicated is coming true, THE KITTIES ARE HUNGRY, and it can only get better with all the rain we got last nite.

Yeppers..... the kitties were on the Bite.. Man that was another Awesome trip to Stu's...

We got over 100 fish, average # was 18-20#.. A few under and several over.. You do the math.... With the Gates open and water flow.. The Cats put on a fight like no other..Every cat had to be saltwatered in.. Pump & Reel... Sunday was nice and sunny... Sat. was ok but pretty windy but that did not stop the Cats.. The dam was good, Corkin was good, channels were good, shores were even better..

Every time I go there I still come back just amaized at the power of them cats..

Several times we would look around us and could count up to 5 boats with fish on at the same time some even had doubles. As a matter of fact, on Sunday, I had Canuck, Stu, Jamie and myself in the boat and we had several doubles and tripples and even one just a second away from a Quad... Stu was just a bit too fast with his fish and got it in the boat just as the forth rod bent over.. LOL.. now that was a real Photo opp.... LOL...The people on shore got a good show though.. LOL...

I will have some of the photos on my site very soon.. check them out..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 05-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 05-17-2004).]

Wiskers, sounds like a ton of fish and fun. I'm jealous as all heck!

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

Hey whiskers. sounds like you guys did well up there too. who from your boat gave us the finger at about 3pm on sunday? we were in a black crestliner heading toward the landing. [Note from Rick: zpinca, No threats are allowed here. Don't do it again.]. smile.gif we had good luck up there as well. four of us fished for about 8 hours on saturday and sunday. caught 65 fish averaging just a shade under 17lbs. 15 of those fish were over 20 lbs, with 2 @ 24 lbs, and 1 at 24.5 lbs. that was our first trip up there, but staying mobile appears to be the key. we sat in one spot all day saturday, and moved a bit on sunday. fishing was still good, but i believe we would have caught more fish by catching some active fish and moving when it got slow. with all of the current though, it was a pain to pull anchor. i would definitely recommend for all to get up there though. its a blast.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-18-2004).]

zpinca: I was in Whiskers boat on Sunday about 3PM. I NEVER saw anybody give ANYBODY a finger anytime.

I can say from what I have seen about Rusty he has toooooooooo much class to finger anybody even if they deserved it. I will give U an example, at about 5:20 PM we were across from the landing and getting constant doubles when a boat (not a black crestliner) pulled up and anchored directly behind where we were casting. I mentioned to this boat that was right were we were casting and they just ignored us, the fish shut down like right now, did those guys deserve a finger, in my mind, YES but I know nobody did anything except we pulled anchor and moved to the other side of the river and started catching fish immediately.

This was the first time I have fished with Rusty and I can say he has excellent equipment and is a class act and would fish with him anytime.

Well thanks Canuck.. I can say that no one in the boat would have done that.. Who ever seen what they thought was a finger may have been a waive instead.. My boat had Jim, Jamie, Stu and myself in it on sunday and that is not possible.

It was a very awesome trip this time as usual. Zpinca.. you should have introduced yourselves..It is always fun to meet new fellas and share tips and stories... Tell your buddy that it was not a gesture at all.. and hope he is ok with that.. Or maybe he just does not want to see my boat in Fargo cause he will want one even more LOL.. JK.. Hope to see you up there again.. even if it is in a Crestliner.. LOL...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Yup-Yup...lots of fun on this trip Eh. It was good to meat Rusty and chew the fat a bit.

We started out Sat a bit slow because we went after Goldeye for kitty chow. But the cats wouldn't keep off our Goldeye bait rigs. Shanon boated a couple in the 18# class on a 4 1/2' UL Rod rigged with 4/10 Power Pro...that was a real Hoot to see.

We did well with +/- a few 50 to 80 cats a day. Straightlining the shallows and/or Cork'n produced the biggest ><,sUMo,> type kitty's for us.

The best bait for us by far was sucker cut in smaller hunks, rigged on offset G-Mag Gamakatsu hooks. My best this trip was a 39" pulled from 5' of water on an isolated rock spine hidden on a sand flat just below Cats on the Red. Shanon hung a couple 38" to 39" kitties too.

When straight line fishing we rigged with 4 & 5 oz No-Rolls, basically tip rodded the baits just beside the boat. Some of the fussy kitty’s you didn't even see the take...they just were there when you lifted the weight. Then we slammed the hook home......WE-We-We...Getty up Go Piggy!

If we didn't HAVE TO come back to work...I would sure still be there. This next week or so should be a sumo-fest up there.

Lots of flow, you need a good heavy anchor with sturdy rope to play in any serious current.

Accommodations were great as usual at “Cats on the Red”, they always treat you like one of the family. It was great to check in with Stu and Canuck and the crew again this spring.

Ah...Yup....I can't wait to go back!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-640-2796
><,sUMo,>

Hey whiskers and canuck. don't take offense. it looked like a playful finger. we certainly weren't offended. my buddy was just making a joke about showing up in fargo. we would have loved to stop and chat, but we stayed longer than we were supposed to, and had to get home. none of us wanted to hear about it from our wives. I did get to chat with Stu a bit. he provided excellent advice and service. I can't wait to get back up there. i'm hoping the tuesday after memorial day. I'm also hoping that I don't lose interest in the cats around GF, since as you all know, you don't pull up 17-20 lb. fish every 10 minutes around here. Next time we'll stop and say hi.

i just noticed my original post. sorry to confuse anyone, but it was not a threat that i made. sorry that it came off that way.

zpinca LOL that is the only bad part about hitting Stu's little gold mine.. You want to keep going back and back and back, plus when you get home, our kitties don't seem to even be photo opps.. LOL LOL... oh its just another 15#er.. sigh.. toss it back.. Oh just a 8#er.. sigh.. LOL

Spoils a falla right off the bat... Im going back June 11th weekend. .. .. can't wait.

NO offense taken.. Fish on...........................

Rusty

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

zpinca: Give a shout either on this board when U are coming up and if there is anything we can help with we sure will. With this flow the kitties should keep active for quite awhile. Only 36 in 4 hrs this morning with 2 rods.

I am a cutbait fan but Rusty tried some commercial bait on Sunday and he immediately caught on it. I wish I had got the name of it as I am always willing to try something new.

ps: NO offence taken and we will have to sit and swap stories over a brew (your choice) on the new deck.

God will you guys stop talking about it. The more you talk the more I want to leave work and come up and fish but the boss is gone and I can't play. Just can't wait to hit the river again, never got a chance before the rains hit and it looks like its going to rain until next Tuesday. My son is all over me about getting on the river again. O'well can't rain forever.

Canuck, that was not comercial bait I was using.. It was my created "Wiskers Bits".

I am trying to market them for catfish baits.

Down here they work awesome, up there they worked ok.. However after your little tip you gave me.... when you first entered my boat.. I am thinking that might be the last ingredent to make it work up there.......

Maybe I will put a bug in your ear as how to make up a batch of your own to test out for me. Email me .............

Rusty

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 05-19-2004).]

Rusty, U have my email and I can be sworn to a secret.

Fished where we finished off on Sunday and was totally worn out yesterday morning. Had only 2 guys, thank heavans, the final tally was 36 landed and they lost about another 15 to 20. I don't think I could have handled 3 rods as it was non-stop action. The kitties seem fatter than normal this spring as the norm is high teens or low 20s. Several yesterday over the 36" mark and FAT. I sure felt old last nite, maybe I am. The rain yesterday can only be good for these kitties lasting longer into the season.

See U the 11th as I hve nothing scheduled for that weekend YET.

Lots more water headed your way. That should keep things rolling well for some time to come Canuck.

I know just what you mean about feeling old...Eh. wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-640-2796
><,sUMo,>

Just checking what the conditions are like up at Lockport right now. I am going up for the day on june 1st. Is the water flow similar to what it was on opener, or have they opened more of the locks? Are the fish still biting like mad? I'm taking my dad up for the first time, and we're hoping to hook up with some big kitties.

They havn't opened any more curtains (4). I think the water has dropped alittle but just alittle. I am on the water from tomorrow until Sunday. The kitties are holding in various areas but they are stacked and the bite should be as good and hopefully there won't be as many boats either.

I will up a update up later in the week. I am sure suckers are still the bait of choice. I know some of the guys picked some up at Cabelas prior to the opener if U havn't any.

Canuck.. sorry will not be making it on the 11th.. The other parties cancled and I had something come up also that I just cant miss..

Man now it will not be until July before I could even get a chance to get up there.. June is booked solid.

Not sure I got your email Canuck????

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Sorry to hear U can't make it for the 11th but maybe the sturgeon will be going in July. On the Red for the next 5 days straight so hope the weather co-operates.

Well, the water is starting to drop and would not be suprised to see them put some curtain back in the next week. 2 rods today for about 7 hrs and only 39 kitties. They missed plenty but the ones they caught were sumo piggies. Several in the honest 20 + range.

Now, Rusty I know U really wanted to hear that type of stuff didn't U. Had a visit at your website the other day and found it GREAT. NICE WORK.

Canuck. Geeeeee thanks for the updates and rubbing it in.. LOL.......sigh ...

I also just had to pass up a trip up there this weekend from friday to monday.. sigh sigh.. that hurt...

Jim.... Send me an email so I can find yours.. It must be labled diffrent and I just cant find it.. ????? so many in the address book ya know..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Slow day only 21 kitties but one that was pushing the 30 lb mark. It was only 37 1/2" but it was at least 11" wide in the head and FAT. The couple are headed south tomorrow with sore arms but wide grins.

Rusty, I sent U an email.

You will get a new push of serious water in a few days Canuck. We got over 5" in a day in some areas near the headwaters region of the Red. Then we got steady rain for 4 more days. Yup..lots of water on the way so the big feeding machine should stay cranks for some time yet.

I already see cats on the move looking to hit spawning areas in the headwaters region. With the tribs running high they will run far and wide in the next week or so.

It is a good thing we have a good supply of our special heavy ancors on hand Eh.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-640-2796
><,sUMo,>

We had 2 boats out last nite and fished for 3 hrs, 19 and 30 kitties.

ps: the sturgeon are on, hint hint.