• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ok guys and gals,

went out today to try for some green backs at the maple dam, and in the many years i have been fishing i have yet to find a day that a particular spot is un able to be fished, till today, holy buckets is the maple and sheyenne HIGHHHH, it is impossible to fish right now.. hopefully the water goes down about 5 feet or more very soon before the eyes start heatin up, that is an awsome spot for some big eyes..

was gonna go check out some other areas but figured they would be outrageously high too.
Anyone been to oxbow,christene,wild rice dams yet in the last couple days? If so, how are they?
would be kinda chitty if a person cant even get a line in the water for the eye run this spring.

We went to the Oxbow dam on Sunday and it looked pretty fishable there were about 6 people there we saw one guy catch a nice cat on a set rig by the dam.
We were going to go to the Wild Rice but there were more people parked there than at the bar so we did not stop but it looked like it was way down from where it was during the rain.
Where do you fish at Maple Dam? We went there sunday also and we went down where the rivers meet and the water was flowing so fast we just gave up. do you fish up in the pool by the dam or where the two rivers meet with slip rigs?
I have a red f-150 4x4 if you see me say hi fished the north dam of the red in town with slip rigs and fatheads and had a lot of bites and caught a few skippies but the water looked to be down about a foot from Sunday so right now it looks like the maple dam has the most water and flow for the fish to move up on.
Hope that helps.

i fish both places, the dam and where the 2 rivers meet.. both are good places to fish. but right now it seriously impossible to be fished. maybe ill go try wild rice tomorrow and oxbow.. i like to use 1 on a slip rig with a bell on my pole when the wind isnt bad and jig up and down the shore with my other rod if there isnt many people.
but my favorite spot is the maple dam and where the 2 meet,, just tons of fish and it really dont get alot of pressure. so till that water goes down atleast 5 feet ill be at oxbow or the wild rice. never tried any of the dams in fargo, due to the fact they get pounded first. but ill keep an eye out for ya.
Im in a maroon 78 camaro, will have a camo hat on and a white black checkered jacket..

p.s. as far as the high water and flow at the sheyenne and maple, for the eyes to move up, i really dont think that makes 1 bit of difference. them eyes hold at that bend of the sheyenne where the maples mouth is all year long.. my boss and i killed the eyes all winter this year. caught 3 that went over 6 lbs, most were small 13-17 inches. not like last spring when all a guy could catch were those 10 inch males, very frusterating. hopefully this spring makes up for last year..
good luck

[This message has been edited by beaverlakeman (edited 04-08-2004).]

If there's good flow coming out of a trib, there's a good shot fish will move up. That goes for any trib, particularly on years when the water is low on the Red. Flow at the Wild Rice has dropped dramatically over the past week and the fish seem to have shipped out. Also, no minners there anymore either so I doubt that's the spot to be now.
As far as fish being at the confluence of the two rivers all year, I'm highly skeptical. Particularly in mid summer, walleyes are extremely tough to track on the Red and on the tribs. Here one day, gone the next. Spring, fall, and wintering hole time allow for a lot better shot at patterning fish. I was on a good bite on one of the tribs last week, but now I'm in hunting mode again. I hope to get out after work to day and do a little more snooping.

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.