• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A buddy and I went out in the rain today to do a little scouting we went by the country club in oxbow and found what I believe to be the oxbow dam. My question is can you fish from there or do you have to go to the other side we went all the way around town and found two low mat. roads one with a sheriffs sign and one that was just blocked do either of those go there? Would be a heck of a walk.
The river is open for quite a stretch by the dam the wild rice looked open and the Maple dam was very high (water was not falling over the dam the flow was level with top of dam)
So we did some scouting we also found a few areas north of town that had good drainage going into them ice looks to be on its last legs am guessing that another week of good weather and the temps should be going up.
Thanks for the help!

You can fish there on the north dakota side. Park east of the dam sign and try not to walk on the guys property to the west. There is a big open lot you can walk on. Its pretty rough down by the dam though, maybe when the water levels come up it will be better. Im not sure about getting there from the minnesota side. Where is the maple dam? And can you get there? Wiskers gave out a great site on an earlier post http://terraserver.microsoft.com. This is aerial photos of the area, it may help you see if you can get there from the minnesota side. Good Luck, let me know how you do.

Thanks for the reply I believe its the Maple River dam I could be wrong but you go north till you get to county road 20 go west across the bridge go through the stop signs you will cross a river next left is a small dirt road that ends at the dam
the road was in tough shape very soft last fall you could step over the river now the water below the dam is even with the top of the dam.
My buddy has a friend that says its hit or miss but when its on some bigguns have been taken out of there.
Again thanks for the help!

Most who fish at Oxbow park in the golf course lot and walk down from there. I'm told the course doesn't mind that you do this.
Anyone doing anything yet on the river? I tried to fish a dam in town yesterday only to find the wind had pushed all of the ice back up against the shoreline I was on- nowhere to cast to!
I think this rain will help out with fishing conditions. Water's still low, but not as bad as it was. I'd guess it's dang near at the level it typically is BEFORE the spring flooding starts (almost, at least). Brighter things are ahead.

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

Gentlemen, What kind of presentation are you using in these locations? Are you guy's lindy riggin'? maybee bouncing a jig across the bottom? How about bait? Shiners? I'm new to this type of fishing. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Just a quick note to the Oxbow dam access question. Fish the Oxbow dam from the ND side. The MN side is not an option if you value your life so to speak. The road that has the crossing on and the one that says closed by order of the Sheriff respect those signs. I have heard first hand that the person who owns that property does not take very kindly to people tresspassing. I am not sure why or what happened but he dont like it. just my 2cents, I have not fished the dam yet this spring, but will be real soon.

Jay R

Mark, two types of presentations typically dominate the spring bite- jig and minnow or cranks. Stick baits with a wide wobble are best for cranks. Early spring, like now, I'd tip a jig with a minnow (fathead, sucker, whatever- but make sure it's legal where you use it). In a few weeks when the water is warmer you can get by without bait and just use plastics. Some guys will use a slip rig in the spring, and you can definitely catch fish on them. But I don't like using set rigs in the spring because then I have to tend to that line and I can't move around much.
Good luck!

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.