• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I checked the dam in Crookston yesterday and it was still pretty frozen. There was one side where I think the channel was coming through. I think once it starts going it won't take long, most of the snow on the banks is melted, at least on the west side of the river.

It sounds like you have the perfect job, Scoot. You can fish on your lunch. I may have to get out the summer gear a little early and see what all the fuss is about on the river.

I fished at a local dam over my lunch break today. Saw a couple slough sharks that I couldn't get to commit. Pretty dang quiet.
Wiskers, anything happening up your way? I see you're hoping to get out on the Rainy this weekend. It might be pushing it, but I'm hopeful that it'll be open by the weekend. If not, maybe I'll head East and chase crappies if there's some sort of FM gathering there.

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

Well not much to enter here yet. The Ice is getting pretty soft so it wont be long I hope.

I did go up to the Rainy and if I would have had my small boat instead of the RP I woud have been fishing on the river.. That smaller boat would have been a good to go deal to get over the shore ice.

I stopped in and visited with Sandee at Clemenson. What a nice couple.. I really want to get back up there. Im thinking the weekend of the 27th is the earliest I can make it..

Im thinking of heading to the dam very soon and tossing out a few tiped jigs for early cats in that open water below the dam.. Ya just never know.......

Cast cast cast.. ... ... . . ... ..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Well I did some open water fishing yesterday... I got to cast and everything.....lol...

Fished the open water below the dam on the Red Lake River for about an hour... not even a nibble.. used cat chunks, minnows,and dip biat.. nota...

Oh well at least I got my casting into open water fix out of the way for a day or two..

Was almost like summer fishing.. no hat, no gloves, light jacket, shore chair... Casting and watching the tip of the rod for movement... all I was missing was swatting mosquitos. lol.. Oh ya and the fish.. I was missing the fish..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

scoot... hey have you looked at the north landing lately???????? I would think that if any where opens it will be there first.. if it opens from that landing to the dam fishing is in order.. don't you think?

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Wiskers,

You talking about the North Dam here in Fargo? If so, yeah, I'd guess that'll be open pretty dang soon. It's open quite a bit right below the dam. I've seen plenty of northerns below the dams I've fished so far, but no walleyes (pretty typical for this early). With the forecast the way it is, I'd guess things will start to happen pretty dang soon. As usual, things will move from south to north in terms of a spring walleye run. Wahp and Breck will kick things off pretty dang soon, then things will happen here soon after. I'm guessing this'll happen in the next week or two (I hope!)
Did you mention you want to chase cats by the dams? I'd guess that'll be a little further off. They'll stayed holed up in their deeper haunts for a while still. Once the walleye run ends, the cats seem to move up below the dams in numbers. They'll be there or near there until they spawn at the end June (give or take). I'd guess they can be picked off from the holes while the walleyes are at their spawning grounds. I'm too busy chasing eyes at that time to search for whiskered kitties though.
Is the Red Lake River locked up pretty tight still? I think things will get moving pretty good here in the near future. I can't wait!!!

------------------
Scoot

Scoot, sounds like he's talking the North landing in GFKS up to the Riverside dam maybe?

Hey Whiskers, curious where you would have skidded a little boat last week on the Rainy? It's obvious you're quite anxious to get that sweeeeeet RP of yours out on the water are'nt ya! Hang in there, should'nt be too much longer now!

fiskyknut

Yeah, I guess I shoulda figured that out. I haven't been there in a couple years- great place to hunt waldos. It'd really be nice if it could get cleaned up a little- less pot, underaged drinking, and litter would make it a much better place.
I haven't been there, but maybe ibwhnt has been- Kent, you taken a look at the river around there?

------------------
Scoot

Ya I guessing if the river doesn't open in short time I'll see whiskers driving the RP across the flooded feilds and or ditches. I would be all to ready after waiting all winter like he has. Just give it time it will open.

Hey now that you mention it.. I was really checking out the ditches along Hwy 2 the last three days..... they are getting real full of water and I could launch from a road approach and have a good 1/2 mile of water to play in.. Would make some real good videos.. Maybe Pete should come up and shoot some footage LOL LOL....

I just checked the North landing today on the Red right after I finished taking and passing my US Coast Guard Capatin's test...
Woohooo. ... Sorry just had to add that.. lol.....

The channel is open just past the ramp. Some ice is jamed up in the rappids but with the warm weather this next day or two I think a boat could be put in and head up to the dam for some Eyes or cats.. Or just play on the water..

Won't be long now..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

So Whiskers did you manage to get out onto the Rainy as you had mentioned you might? How was it?

Congrats on the test, oupv I assume? Where and whom did you test with?

Regards....fiskyknut

Yo Cap't Rusty from Cap't Kent man what a load off my mind. Now we have to go and buy more gear, It seemed to just coast more and more didn't it. Anyway Give me a holler if you need anyone on the northend. just might be able to get out if son doesn't have hockey. As far as the ditches what do you think a highway patrol would do if he see you pulling a water skier god tht would be fun.

Hey ibwhnt, you took this also? With whom and where, and what was the cost? Couple of folks up this way are hoping to get one and the only class/test I know of up this way is full. Was'nt aware of others in ND/MN.

Thanks for the info.....Fisky

yupper I also took the class. Three days of studying and tryen to remember everything he says. The cost was $385.00 and the guy that came over to test was Ted. I don't have his number here at work but if I can remember it when I go home for dinner I'll post it. I know hes going to be up at Lake of the Woods in April sometime. and then again in Int'l Falls I beleive. Unless Rusty can post his number before me.

I tell ya what.. It was a major information over load in the 3 days of class.. whew, glad that is done..

Cost was $385 for the class.... $100 to send in application... $45. to have then sign the licnese... $$$ for all new approved PFDs.. $$$ for extra equipment.. $$$ for Comercial insurance for boat now.... sigh sigh.. $$ for doctor bill Physical exam.. $$$ Drug screen... Random Drug screen program$$$.... Trip to Duluth or Twin Cities to get sworn in...

Wow.. I will have to work two years to make up for that expense...

FISKYKNUT......I think the number for Ted is 715-779-3611. FISKY.. did you go out and find a Capatin's hat yet???? LOL>.. I figure after spending close to $1000. on the license we deserve a hat.. LOL... Better head over to Ebay.. lol ...

As for the ditch boating.. Well I bet it would really turn some heads.. Still trying to find regulations on that such event.. Might not be anything in the regs??? No one has ever boated in a ditch I would inaguine. LOL LOL LOL... Not like I would like to do it on a sporting level, just would make some awesome footage for the RP...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442