• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Red River open water in Feb

Hey guys long time reader just registered I have a couple of questions. Went down to a couple of the dams in Fargo and saw people fishing even saw a eye caught!
Just wondering if you can fish now with the warmer weather and catch anything?
The water is super clear and the river is open at a hole I fished set rigs this fall with some success.
Just wondering what you would do if you went fishing and some techniques that would work this time of year.
Thanks Jason

Pretty much two methods that'll work right now- live bait on a slip rig and slloooooww cranking. Wide wobble cranks crawled along at an annoyingly slow rate can produce. Or, put a sucker on a slip rig and see what happens. With the little thaw we've had the fish'll be thinking spring pretty soon- can't wait!

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

Did someone say summer.??????? Is it summer yet?????

some jigs and spinner tails tiped with minnows dragging on bottom slowly... slow is key in cold water.. Scoot hit it on the head there..

fish fish fish.. ... ...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 02-23-2004).]

Thanks guys for the response!
I did pretty good with curly tails at the dam until the temps hit the low thirtys this fall.
I was letting the jig and tail tumble right next to the dam most of my hits were within the first five feet of the dam. I am guessing that they will be closer to the shore in calmer water since the temps are not much above 33-34 degrees yet?
We also slip rigged in a hole back from the dam after Thanksgiving and caught a few before ice started to form we were using circle hooks and you just saw a little bend when the fish would take the bait.
Just interested about this first warmup I know Mr. Carlson (Sp?) talked about fishing in the winter on open water if the temp hit 40 during the day and having some luck.
Again thanks a buddy and I have been learning more and more about the river by reading these posts and exploring on our own. Plus
I have major cabin fever since I have spent the whole fall and winter planning for a spring wedding. Hoping to catch some fish this week if we go I'll let you know how we did.
Jason

Yup, look for shallow, warmer water close to shore. The stuff that warms up first will be the best. It's still early, but you'll never catch any sitting on the couch!

Wiskers, anything happening up at Crox? Has the ice gone completely to crap on the Red Lake? Any fish being had?

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

Well Scoot....... This darn river has been a real stubborn one this year with the low water levels... With this rain and warmth I hope it will start to break up soon... I was not able to find a good spot all winter with consitant fish...?? I believe that they all moved to bigger water when the levels went down. Hope they can get back in the spring..

Remember Scoot.. Any chance you get to come up with your RP..or just come up, there is plenty of water to explore this summer..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

I was in GF this weekend and decided to check out the river. I ran down to the landing on the mill road and there was a little bit of open water, still mostly ice though. This rain and slow melt is awesome, can't wait to get out and catch some piggies.

Did someone say piggies?????? sigh sigh pant pant.. LOL.... open water???? pant pant.. Im gonna have to head down to the river and cast into the open water on the ice just to get a fix..

spool new line and cast cast cast..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442