• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN reg changes for the Red

I picked up a copy of the 2004 regs which go in effect 3/1. I am somewhat shocked....seems the spring conservation season slots for Walleye and Pike have been done away with??? The Walleye/Sauger limit has been dropped to 3 fish, and the way it's worded there are no slots at any time of year on Walleye. Spring season last year {3/1-5/2} all fish between 18 and 28 inches were to be released, though you could keep 2 under and 1 over this slot during this timeframe. Pike regs last year were no Pike over 27 inches during this spring season, this year no size restrictions thru the year at all.

I'm kinda curious as to the 3 fish Walleye/Sauger limit. I do not eat Walleye or Sauger out of the Red myself, but for those who may want to, 3 eater sized fish hardly feeds a family. Perhaps the powers that be could consider a seperate limit number for Sauger in the future. The Red is jam packed with small Saugers, maybe something along the lines of LOTW's liberalized Sauger regs could be considered???

Fortunately MN does not allow spring fishing in the Red's tribs as ND does. The way these fish stack into certain areas on some of those tribs during the prespawn/spawn timeframe it is basically like catching/snagging fish in a barrel at certain spots/times. I think ND should rethink what I think is an ongoing pillage and plunder of these Walleyes when they are at their most vulnerable.

A concerned Red River fisherman....fiskyknut

Curious if anyone has heard what is happening with MN's proposal to not let ND residents fish MN waters during the first 2 weeks of the season.

Anyone heard what's up with this as of late?

Fisky