• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How do you keep frogs over the winter?

I am looking for ideas on how to keep frogs over the winter. I have about 100 frogs in OX bags in my bait refrigerator. The water is getting Nasty and the frogs are dying? I did change the water every so often but slowly kept putting it off until now it is really bad... They all seemed to be in hybernation but now several of them are dried up and dead.

Has anyone been able to keep them fresh over the winter? I took them out and now have them in zip lock baggies grouped in bunches of 5-6 and in the freezer now.. not sure how they will unthaw for spring or ice fishing?

Tips and suggestions will be welcomed.

Fished the Red River below the dam in Grand Forks today.. no luck.. with that rock dam they put in, the deep hole that held cats and other fish over the winter is now gone.. It is only about 10-12 feet deep now instead of in the 20s.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

I would remove them from the bag and place them in the freezer allowing them to freeze individually.

Then chuck them in a zip-lock bag for storage again in the freezer. At ice out the cats will like them if they are allowed to sour a bit.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Personally I find the question distasteful, I mean, why would anyone want to?? But, if you must do so, a stock of boring movies and lots of wine might work.

Kidding.

fp

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."