• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How 'boutchya Wiskers?

Wiskers, have you tried out that new RiverPro yet? What's it take to get a test ride?

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

I have heard that them boats are the way to go in shallow water. But I don't think that they do well on ice.

Say Hemlock, you heading to Whitefish beginning of Jan to battle some of those early season Lakers.

ibwhnt,

If you're thinking about a laker trip this year, keep me updated. For some reason, I've got an itch to give that a shot in the winter.

Thanks again for the help with my deer last weekend. I know you gave it to me, but I didn't somehow leave my headlamp in your pick-up, did I? I'm sure I got it back from you, but not I can't find it (the words of my mom are ringing in my head-"you'd lose your head if it wasn't attached.)
Scoot

I'll check but I'm sure I gave it back in your dads driveway. I'll give the truck a once over. But with Mark A. and Rod hunting out if it last night it was pretty much picked over geting there stuff out. Glad I could help on your deer.

Eh Scoot. I crept out on the Sheyenne frog fling'n spot and iced some cats last night.

Don't think it is safe to try it again any time soon though! After today, you wouldn't get out on the ice there.

I caught 7 cats. Ranging from a feisty 4" kitten to a nice chubby 7 pound kitty.

No eye's, just cats. Lot's of cats there though, a large pod holding tight.

I had a lot of vehicles hit the brakes and stop to see what that nut was doing on the ice, including a cop.

smile.gif

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-11-2003).]

I bet you crept very carefully! I'm sure today and this week will do a number on any ice we have in the area.
I'm starting to get the itch to fish with an ice rod. I usually fight it pretty hard for the beginning of the ice season- I never really want to admit that fall is over. But I'm finally ready to give the short sticks a shot again. New line, a new rod to try, Vex is all fired up- I'm ready to go.
I've got a few more spots in mind this winter to try for ice fishing. With the low water, I'm thinking that in and around the deep holes will possibly be a good deal-what you think? We spoke about a spot on the Red that I believe you fished last year that I'm thinking about in particular. I'll have to get permission to go out there from the land owner, but it seems like a likely spot. It's the spot you said you saw the incredible pod of cats in the deeper hole- remember? Anyway, I'm going to look at the deep holes near the sharp bends and probably avoid the tribs for starters- except maybe the couple holes we fished on the Sheyenne, they seem like likely spots still.
Scoot

Those deep spots are better fish watching areas then catching areas in my experience. We may see very clear conditions again this season, too early to tell just yet?

ALL the nice walleye we caught on the Red were definitely NOT in the deep holes. Didn't see them there, and we didn't catch them there. It all keys on very well defined structure.

Not to say if you found the right type of wintering hole in long stretch of yada-yada river that you may hit the mother-load. That very well can happen. There is a correlation but there is more to it I found out.

I learned a lot last season watching fish with the Aqua-Vu SV..a lot! It really changed a bunch of my perceptions on what them fish are really up to down there under the ice in the winter.

We need to get together and I'll share my thoughts on that in more detail then Scoot.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Sounds good. I'm afraid this time of year and the weather conditions might make for better talking conditions than fishing conditions. However, if it gets as nice as they're talking about, maybe a crank bite might be the ticket in the next week or so. Maybe a night deal too? If I can russle up my headlamp, I'll give that a try in the next week or so. Wanna join in?
Scoot

Ya..That Could happen?

I carry both long and short rods these days Scoot. I suspect I will tell some time after Turkey Day too.

Last January 7th I was crank'n eye's off the North Dam. Ya just never can tell what Ol' Mama Nature has in mind for us?

I think we should visit Stu and his new Ice Palace at least one this winter too. Would you be game for that maybe? I think there are far more hogs in the lower Red this winter then last? Time will tell there too Eh?

I use more or less walleye jigging methods on the cats. A plain jig and a half a minnow is another method that can produce.

Once you find them, persistence pays. Even a huge school of cats will only produce a relatively small amount of active biters. They can be very sneaky with the take, or they can slam it hard. They are moody critters under the ice.

Often the feeding cats and walleye hunt the same areas. Sharp drops, the edge of a wall, in slow to no current is often the best. The head and tail of a slow or dead still backwater with woody cover is one I like best.

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-12-2003).]

WEll I will never give up on them cats.. One way or another I will get a cat through the ice, that is a must..

If it warms up and I can get a free couple of hours I will have to give it a go again.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Hey hey hey Im back from deer hunting.. And no the darn boat is still stiiing in the back yard with a tarp over it..sigh sigh......... This is killing me to just see it sitting there.....

Have not even been out fishing for about two weeks... that is a shame.. busy plowing snow now......

Eddy... I still have never caught cats through the ice.... I have tried every where on the Redlake River and no luck.. What ya using for bait this time of year? frogs? I got a bunch of them still.... Hummm might have to make time and give them another go one of these days....Got a new protable fish house this year too so will have to test it out soon.....

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Hey Dunken......... Your never home.. I have been taking that RP out every day now for the last week on the Red.. giveing rides like crazy.. But of course you never answer your phone..???????? Your missing out buddy... we are haveing a blast..

The Red is now open for miles below the dam, thanks to my efforts in making waves at the ice jam, it has broken up and is now gone.. wooooooooohooooooooo......

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Rusty, my wife said that you called. I've been phone free since Wednesday out at the deer shack. I figured that is why you were calling me. Well,I'm off for the next couple days if you go again. Been reading all the posts on it and it sounds like fun!

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

ibwhnt,

I did reply to your inital post, but I still don't see it here...anyways, I think I wrote and told you that I'd be moving to Kenora in December and so yes, to answer your question I am going to find time for that 45 minute drive to Whitefish Bay and seek the lakers.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock

I am off this week Tue Wed. Thrus.. but I am heading down to the twin cities to do some fishing and meet some fishing folks and hook up with Pete.

I'm heading back up here Thurs afternoon.....

Maybe if any one down there is looking to do some fishing let me know.. Sounds like I will be having room in the boat.. Oh it's not just a boat it's a RIVER PRO...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 11-17-2003).]