• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red River GF & EGF areas. Fishing reports.

Well the Red River over in EGF is quite low now. The water is almost at a stand still. With no current, no runoff to creat OX, and warm water, the result is tough fishing.

Most of the good snags that we fish are now up on the shores. The water is green with algee and about 71 degrees. Down from 77 degrees.

In most rivers, the water speed on the top is not at all like what it is on the bottom. The current on the bottom is only 20% of the surface speed. Keeping that in mind you do not have that bait scent being swept down into the snags or holes for the cats to track back up to your hooks. You will have to improvise by getting right on the fish or fishing near natural inlets or springs where OX is being introduced, or smaller rivers entering.

Don't be afraid to park right on top of the snags and drop your bait down on top of them. You will need good line and good rods to pull them out before they get all tangled up but it is where they live and hide.

Last outing was on Sunday, 8-31-03. Boated about 8 fish, ranged from 4#-18#. Many of the normal fishing spots did not produce, we had to move all over before we found the right areas. They picked up after dark and were in the area with the most OX.

Be patient and let the bait do the work. This is a tough time for the cats so please keep the fights short, pics to a minimum and get them back in the water ASAP.

We are still seeing many floating cats. I'm guessing the lack of OX in the water is taking it's toll on them kitties.

See ya on the water......

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota RIver Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Just wondering what technique works well for shorefishing cats in the GF area. I have never fished for cats before, but have fished everything else. I heard cut suckers behind a pyramid sinker work well?? Should i look for breaks in the current, or is there some other way to find good holding spots. As I am new to this kind of fishing, any help will be much appreciated!!

Try fishing the upstream edge of the sharpest bends you can find. If they have snags, all the better. This pattern will produce especially at dusk, and on into the night.

Flip out some frogs and chubs on light slip rigs. Try jigs and frogs cast parallel to shore on these leading edge areas. You may get sumo cats or sumo walleye this time of year.

As the evening progress's look for the active fish to be in shallow cruising the shoreline for hoppers and shiners.

Good luck!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

Thanks for the response Backwater. Would you say to go with the slip rig over a bottom dragger this time of year?? That is a little more like the kind of fishing I'm used to, so that helps alot.

My best luck has been below the EGF dam in the evenings. We did the best there and a few in the corners up river..

With the lack of moving water the mouth of the Redlake river is producing most fish.

Good luck. Heck maybe we can hook up one day and give it a go.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota RIver Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Wishiniwerefishin

Try setting a bottom rig and pitching a jig or crank. This combo attack will tell you what is up the quickest.

A shallow running crank like a BOMBER LONG A in Green/White, Black/White, Blue/White just might be a winner?

Jig color when flinging frogs is no big deal, the type/style of jig is. Use a Stand-Up style jig with a good 4 o/T hook. This type of jig has a beefer hook and keeps the frog up at a good angle to hook-up on the fish when it slurps it up.

Some nights a slow swim is best, others a hop & drop with a long pause gets the most Whacks. So experiment, it will pay off. Remember the walleye expect to find these hoppers near the shore, so oblige them. wink.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

Well, we are going to head out this evening and see what we can snag, i will be sure to post any results, good or bad, but we are going to hope for GREAT!! Anyone else gonna be on the red in the GF area tonight??

Well, we ended up getting 6 cats, with the biggest being around 8#. Sure was a good time! Thanks to everyone on the forum for your help with spots and fishing techniques.