• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

I may as well bite the bullet and ask the stupid ? of how to bait up a frog, both frozen and thawed or alive. I'm not in the know on this and would appreciate some advice.

I lost 2 great runs last night and it got me irritated. It was still fun tho. They are biting well. I just couldn't hook the devils.

Thanks,

fred

Scoot

I can't tell you the "right" way to hook up frogs, but I can tell you how I do it.

I like to snout hook frogs. With live frogs I punch the hook through a tiny dark dot between the middle of their eyes and the tip of their snout. It's a tiny little black dot and it's hard to see- but it seems like the frogs stay nice and lively if I put the hook right in there. My bro says I'm dreaming that it makes a difference-he's probably right.
If I find that I'm missing a lot of fish I'll use a long shank hook and snout hook the frog, then run the hook back up around the frog's sphincter so it sticks out the top of the frog's bung.
These seem to work for me. What do other's use?
Scoot

Thanks Scoot

That's kinda the way I was rigging with dead frogs but I couldn't get the hookset. I'll try again tonight. I fish the bank so mebe I'm a little early on them but I usually let them run a ways before trying the hookset but damit they are foxy.

I'm trying some pike hooks and mebe thats the problem? I thought it was the frogs but it could be the hooks. I'll try something different tonight as not used to missing too many.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

fred

For cats I hook them by the nose in flowing water, by the leg or butt in still water. I stun the frog with a quick whack on the boat.

Hook size and selection is an impotent factor. Missed runs is a sure sign the bait if filling up too much of the throat of the hook. You must keep the hook open to do it's job.

Cats like the gut exposed on frogs, slit them slightly after hooking them up. I keep a box cutter handy for this, a fillet knife works too I guess. Or use the hook to open the gut then hook up the frog as you wish.

For walleye, they like frogs alive and kicking 99.9% of the time. Same thing applies, keep the nose hooked frog in the flow on a longer leader. Leg hooked on still waters with mud or gravel bottoms, shorter leader.

Jigs are my favorite option for walleye and cats on frogs. Stand-up style jigs keep the hook and the frog up in the strike zone. Ideal sized frogs for jigs are new hatch, 3" frogs.

Short biting walleye that skin the legs may need a stinger hook. Hook the fast clip of the stinger to the hook eyelet and place the stinger on the back of the frog to the rear. Most walleye do not mess around when they want a frog, they woof it up quickly. Stingers are not often needed on new hatch frogs for cats or walleye in the summer.

Hope this is helpful guys?

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

Wiskers

Another little tip for frogs is if your hooking them in the head, cut off the legs a the knees. This will help repvent them from just gragging a leg and running off whith them and when you set the hook it just pulls the leg out of their mouth.

Good luck and keep the hook sharp.

------------------
Wisker's Guide Service
Red River Channel Cats & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]
218-280-0442

Canuck

I kill ALL my frogs, this way they can not hide in the mud. I brake the stomach contents with the hook a couple of times then come down from the top of the head then back up through the stomach and out the back. I have tried several other ways and just find this way by far the best. I only fish rivers and usually with quite a current.

Good Luck.

Timdogg

What is the best way to keep frogs for a long period of time? How long can they go without eating? If they do need to eat what do you do to feed them?

Probably some stupid questions, but like momma always said, there is no such thing as a stupid question just a stupid kid smile.gif jk, my mom would never say anything like that...at least not to my face.

------------------
Ryan Timmer
Warroad and Crookston, MN

Canuck

Timdogg: I keep my frogs in my beer fridge. I put them in an ice cream bucket with holes in the lid. The frogs go into a semi hibernation and will stay that way for about a wk or so. Just remind your wife or partner that that container is frogs and not frogs, it can come as a unpleasent surprise for them.