• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A couple of days ago i was by the north dam fishing for cats or whatever else and we were using steak. I did not even get a bite. I was wondering if anyone has ever had luck using steak as bait. If so i would prefer to use that other than that slimey fall off the hook chicken liver.

Man oh man Scotty, steak for bait! The way the cats come to the boat on the Red using cutbaits, frogs, and assorted native minnows I have always wondered why folks shell out the coinage for anything else when these 'free' baits are so availiable, affordable, and most effective.

I'd have to save the steak and the shrimp and put them on the BBQ myself!

Never tried steak for bait myself so can't really comment on it's usefullness as bait. I have some stock tanks where I store my Redtails and if I have to keep them long enough to require a feeding before I get rid of them I give them minced beef heart and those things sure gobble that right up!

Regards....Fisky

Hi Scotty,

I fish the No. dam sometimes but since they put the rocks in I have trouble walking down there as my legs are bad.

I've tried everything as far as bait and chicken liver is good but hard to keep on the hook.

Chicken breast seems to work at times if you're cleaning out the fridge for old food. Smelt, raw shrimp, gizzards work also but it depends on the bite at the time.

Get some crawlers and go down to the walk bridge below the highrise in MHD on the Oak Grove side and catch some goldeye. They're thick down there. I've caught some decent fish down there, also.

Turn No. at the Red Bear and hang to the left til you get to the walkbridge. You can park there and walk across to the other side.

fred

Steak for bait was my buddy's idea because it is hard to get off the hook.Personally i would never buy it to fish the river expensive.I was out today for a half an hour or so at the north dam on shore using frog's notta but one came back skinned. Hey fred have you been down to the dam lately in a silver car? Just wondering. I will have to try next to that bike bridge. I was down by there a couple of weeks ago. If you go south of that bridge i was at the second pier on shore alot of small bullheads a few 4# cat's as well. I will have to go after that cutbait. thank you scotty b

Have you tried any A-1 with the steak. Kidding. I'm with the others on this one, save it for the grill and use frogs or cutbait. Good luck.

Twasn't me Scotty,

I drive a maroon buick or if real serious about things a blue conv.van.

It could have been a pipefitter I know from a while back. He usually runs a bobber on the back wash on the Mhd. side of the No. dam. Nice guy.

I'll probably meet you down there sometime soon, tho.

fred

Oh ok i seen you said you had trouble cause of those rock's. And a guy i have been seeing there alot said the same thing to me.I think i am going to stay away from the steak, i was out late last night and pulled in a 10 pound channelcat off a piece of bread.Could work out pretty good two of the buddies i fish with work at holsum bakery. Biggest fish i ever got so far. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by scotty B (edited 08-01-2003).]

Well good for you Scotty,

That's a nice cat. I've never used bread before but what works, works, eh! That must have been a ball.

fred

Well let me tell ya about Steak. I have been useing it for years now. You can get that value packs in your local stores and a steak will make a ton of cut bait. Cats love it. A dozen suckers = $4.oo. Small steak = $4.00. You can get many more cubes off that steak than the suckers.

The nice part is they will not stip you bait off nearly as easy as any other baits. I just finished the cat's increadible this last week end in East Grand Forks MN. We had every type of biat in the boat and the most consistant bait was the steak. Of course I doctor mine up a bit but that is what we ended up catching all out cats on. We only took 52nd place out of 150 teams.48# of cats in two days with 7 fish. Nothing else was working for us, so we stuck with it.

Never say never when it comes to cats.

Tip #1. Take two containers of steak, then get a container of beef liver all bloody and put it in with the steak and leave it in the fridge to absorb the flavor of liver... then the other container put chicken livers and the blood in that one. Let them sit for a day or two in the fridge and then give them a try.

Let me know how it works for ya. Works wonders for me. Our first two cats were 15# in the first 20 min of fishing.

Good fishing.

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 08-05-2003).]