• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ed, I saw you were getting some more ink over the weekend. It was in the Herald this time. Must be rough being the man with all the answers. Some of us are just the guys with all the questions.
Finding many cats lately? I'm hoping the weather will cooperate tomorrow so I can get out with MJCatfish.
Maybe I'll bump into ya on the water.
Scoot

Yup.."A legend in my own mind"...yup..yup.

grin.gif

Cats are feeding well, this rain will really get them on the chew!

Piggy time!

We-We-We!

pig-fat-air.jpg

Scoot, BWE-
Big Stone was okay, Sunday because of the high wind and rain, we decided to head to Wahp, Breck area and check it out. We put in at the access by the catfish statue. Boy, is the water low, We fished down stream up to about 2-3 miles down. We found the deepest places to be about 6 feet deep. If we'd had more time, we may have found some better water. We had no luck.

Any idea where that what would be. Maybe that was deep water for this end of the river.

MJ

MJCatfish, don't you know when we plan stuff its always windy and rainy. To bad you didn't get into the fish at bigstone, thanks again for the great time turkey chasing. Just remember I owe you a couple cat chasing trips and the 12oz'ers will also be it with this trip.

MJ,

I can't help you with the Breck/Whap area- Ed'll probably chim in on that one with some good info. That's his old stompin' grounds and he knows them inside and out.
I patiently awaited your call on Sun, but you ditched me. So, I cleaned my boat, sharpened hooks, respooled line, etc. Got a new toy for my b-day last week. It's from my dad so you can guess what it is- yeeehaa! It's a spiral wrap cattin/muskie rod that is pretty dang hot. I also got a couple of new reels that I'm excited to check out. When are we gettin on the water? I won't be out your way on opener, but name a time other than that.
Scoot

Did you get a couple of the reels your dad is dealing with? I'd like to look those over. I hope we can get to some fishing soon. If not real soon, it'll have to wait until school's out. We'll see what happens.

MJ

Yeah, I got one of the new California Tackle baitcasters and one fancy-schmancy rig from overseas. The foreign one looks really sexy and the Cal. Tackle one looks rock solid. I can't wait to check them out.
When's school out? Pick a date, man!
Scoot

ibwhnt,

Do you happen to drive a 90's green chevy silverado? If so i seen you drive by my place near 13th ave s. Just curious.

Hey Scoot
Is that spiral wrap where the eyelets spiral around the blank?I have heard about these rods but have never understood the idea.What is the purpose or advantage of that?
Cats have been real slow on my river last weekend too.I just popped in to see if it sucked everywhere. smile.gif

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
"fishhead"
[email protected]
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com

The Roberts wrap or spiral wrap is an interesting guide placement configuration. They allow for less line stress when the rod is under load, like hi-stress piggy cat loads.
RW3.gif
rod.jpg
This allows the action of a spinning rod at the tip but the benefit of a casting reel. When the rod is loaded, this eliminates line rub on the blank that is common in casting rods. Custom rod makers have been making these for years. I feel this design is best for trolling, catfish and sturgeon rigging, and down rigger applications.

I think this system will find it's way into the mass rod market very soon, maybe by Shakespeare or Berkley. wink.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
get_file.html?mid=129
Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-06-2003).]

Yup, Ed nailed it. One thing to add- serious bass guys who are supplied by custom rod makers have been using the spiral wraps (also called Roberts wraps or acid wraps) for quite a while. They're becoming more and more popular among the bass elite (so I'm told).
Despite the fact that they look like the rod maker was really in the sauce when he made the rig, they look cool. It seems like a good concept- I can't wait to use mine. Like Ed said, best of spinning and baitcasting rigs combined in one rod.
If you're interested in getting one, give me a shout. I can get them for you at a very good price. They can be as sexy or as plain-Jane as you want (mine has a pheasant feather inlay- hot!)
Scoot
[email protected]

cvikes80
yup thats me, so let me make a guess on you. Do you live on the corner by the pool and have a brown springer spanial. Just guessing that one because I have seen you during the Cats Incredible and knew you fished cats. If that is your place, next time I see you out I'll stop by and chat.

Eh Scoot, I am game for a 8' sumo special in lamiglass, or E-Glass.

A BWE-King Cork'r special Eh!

I just may be able to talk Stu into trying one too. If it pass's his inspection, well, it's a weiner Eh.

Ed,

If you can get me the exact specs for what you're looking for, I'll get you what you want. Get blank number, guides (my dad has some really sexy looking ones in), handles, reel seat, and it sounds like an 8'er is in order. Get me some numbers and I'll set you up quicker than you can say, "Piggie on!"
Scoot

ibwhnt,

Nope, close though i grew up in that area right on south 10th. I'm actually on the other side of South wash. Corner of 13th ave. and South 18th second house in on east side of the road. I was right behind you a few days ago on 13th ave heading east and noticed your license plate. You are right on one thing. Im in the cat tourny every year. Going to be in the league this year too. If your ever bored swing through my alley, I'm usually in the garage if im not fishing. We fish in a 87 model Bayliner.

Take care

[This message has been edited by cvikes80 (edited 05-07-2003).]

Scoot that is what your Dad's expertise is for Eh. What the heck do I know? I just know what I like is all.

wink.gif

I trust his eye and his skills for sure. I am thinking med-heavy and leaning to heavy. Eight inchs of rear and for grip in good cork, Glass is a must, guides that can take Power-Pro without sawing them in half. Fuji seats for sure, how about reflective Rod wraps..MMM..is that possable?

Oh.. and "Cork'n SUCKS" on the stick with my initials......Yup..Yup..That will do it.

wink.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
get_file.html?mid=129
Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-07-2003).]

Sounds like you're preparing a rod for your buddy Shannon- if I remember right, he's
Mr. Corkin' Sucks!
I called last night to talk with him, but he was already asleep. I left a message for him to check this board, so maybe he'll read these posts. If not, I'll see him on Friday.
Scoot

The spiral or Roberts wrap has been around since 1917 but never got popular because the major players in the rod business never picked up on it. However, custom rodbuilders use it frequently. If a baitcasting rod is set up properly the line will never contact the blank but it requires more quides than the rod manufactures care to use. One big advantage to the wrap is elimination of rod twist while under load. fyi, Rod Engel

Eddy, I picked one of those spiral rods up a couple of years ago from Fenwick but it was way too light for cats. I left it in Ontario for my brother to use on Salmon. It sure worked good for downrigging. The only thing it needed was alot more backbone for fighting the piggies. I never tried it for casting as we only used it on the downrigger. I will give it a try later this summer. If U have any contact with Fenwick, Maybeeeeeee they have a heavier downrigger rod.

Eh Canuck

I am thinking a blank as heavy as the Berkley E-Cat just a bit longer.

Rod can whip up about anything I can dream up I am sure of that.

I should give Big Jim Moyer a buzz and see if he knows the blank numbers for those E-Cats he designed for Berkley, that sounds like a plan. Add the Roberts wrap guide system, a hook lock, and it should be a real piggy puller Eh.

Ed,

My dad's been looking for a blank that fits your purposes, but isn't coming up with much that he's satisfied in a one-piece blank. Eight foot blanks that are one-piece rigs are hard to come by. Maybe you'd prefer a two-piece rod in a rig that long??? Maybe not and he should keep looking?
Whadda ya think?
Scoot

Two piece is good, better really, easy to store.

If we go with a two piece I wouldn't mind a 9' rod if that is workable?

Longer rods work Corks better and with more accuracy, plus they allow for a better line take up on the hook-set.

I use my 11' ABU Boron EURO Predator rod in the spinning version with a Michell FullRunner (No longer in production frown.gif ), and I love it.

I wouldn't mind a bait-caster version with the "Roberts wrap" in Boron, if they made them. I would slip on a ABU ION mag and pop a piggy Eh.That would be a sweet and light rod.

The longer "Cork'n Rods could use a shorter but section then most predator rods to limit stress on the back. After a half a ton or so...it gets to ya..just a bit. wink.gif