• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know how to get my boat on the Red. There's a launch on the MN side by the park, right. And I'm pretty sure I won't get lost. I figure if I see Grand Forks, I better get a room. But how is navigating the red. Is there lots of sheer-pin shalls or "stump-surprizes". I have a flat bottom Lowe with a 25hp. I'm sure slow and steady is part if the trick, as with most places. Looking for some in sight. StM

------------------
Need trout or pike flies!
[email protected]
And good luck out there!

You bet, especially if you're planning on fishing the North end of things. The South access has more deep water and will be more easily traversible than out of MBJ park. However, if you take it easy, you'll be able to find your way around either end of things.
Good luck,
Scoot

Thanks for the response. You must be up late messing around with these piles of plastic and chips.
I'm a little unsteady when it comes to new water in the boat. With the current and a bit of uncertainty, the Red seems to be a formidable opponent. I'd hate to feed the sumo pigges my personal "rump roast".
Thanks again StM
PS. Where is the launch on the south side. It's not the one near dike downtown.
------------------
[email protected]
And good luck out there!

[This message has been edited by saintmark (edited 04-22-2003).]

On the South end is the Convent Landing. It's on 52nd Ave. S. just on the West side of the bridge to go over to MN. There's a little dirt bike track right by it- can't miss it.
Scoot

Bring extra pins, and an extra prop.

The Red and any river is full of things that pop up and surprise you. Take it cool and trim the motor up as high as you can and yet get good performance from the motor.

NEVER lock the motor down, allow it to sit free and kick out when you hit a deadhead. After each ancore position lift the motor and see if any sneaky logs or branches are hung on the lower unit. Many thumps happen when you just take off from a anchoring position, they eat pins. Check for trash, it will save you a lot of pain.

I strongly recommend the extra prop at all times! Plus a nut and pin, they can fall in, and often do just that...yup-yup. wink.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

get_file.html?mid=129

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[email protected]

><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-24-2003).]

SaintMark. I have a boat similar to yours, a jonboat with a 25 HP motor. I have been using this on the Red the past 3 years and it really works out well for river fishing. One thing I have found to be very helpful is to have a "rockhopper motor guard" on my motor. This is a device that does an outstanding job of protecting the prop and lower unit of your motor. I wouldn't want to be on the river without one. In three years of boating on the Red I have not damaged a single prop or replaced a single shear pin on my motor. I have hit a number of things that would most likey have seriouly damaged my motor if I wouldn't have had the Rockhopper installed. I have done many other modifications on my boat to make it river and fishing friendly. If you would like to stop by sometime,I would be happy to show it to you. Bruce

Bruce sounds great. would like to see the"hopper". I'm alittle nervous putting my boat on the river. I've had the boat for 3 years now, and feel I'm just starting to get use to it. I work on the weekends, but done in the early afternoon. I check the BB on Friday evening and see whats good for you.

------------------
[email protected]
And good luck out there!

The RockHoppers are SWEET! They will save a guy a ton even on lakes. Many Canadian Guides use them on all their guide rigs. For a lake like Traverse or BibStone they are a must!

Saintmark I have a new Rock Hopper on hand that may work for you if your interested in it? What size motor do you have?

Rock Hopper info:
rock.gif

views.gif

Rock Hopper Motor Guard
16140 Lynch Avenue
Lakeville, MN 55044
(952) 898-3441

[email protected]

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-25-2003).]

It should work? You may need a minor alteration on the skeg, a shim, but I think it will pop on with no real fuss or much extra cost.

I suggested a little modification to Bruce for his new Honda 4-stroker, and it really works well. Bruce could recommend the man to get it fit perfectly, like his is.

I was out with Bruce last season. First time I ever seen a propped motor run up the WR that far, and make it back under power. grin.gif Especially without ripping the lower unit off, or the prop, or both. He actually dredged a path like a plow in some spots, ya, that impressed me.

Once I seen that, I was sold on them Rock Hoppers Eh....UF-DA. They are far better then the Mack's system of prop guards.

Short of a jet drive (River Pro) I think that the Rock Hopper is the real deal on risky waters.