• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a quick question, looking for a little help. I need directions on how to get to the Hickson and Christine dams. I dont think you can get to the Hickson dam on the MN side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jay R

Dam questions!!! I hate these dam questions grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hickson dam is right by Oxbow Golf Course. I've never fished the Christine dam before, but I've heard access is difficult. Apparently it's private land that not just anyone is allowed to traverse.
Good luck,
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 03-31-2003).]

Thanks for the info Scoot. Have you or anyone else been having any success on the river? I wish the weather would stabalize a little, great day yesterday weather wise, but today I should be in the duck blind. Oh well thats spring time in the upper midwest.

Jay R

I haven't been out on the river much, so I'm not a good barometer of how the fishing has been. I won't get out this week, but hopefully next. I'll send out a report then.
Scoot

Yup, it's one Dam thing after another...Yup.

The Hickson Dam is 300 yards or so East of the Oxbow Golf Club and not too hard to find. Park EAST of the dam sign to stay off the guys grass that lives just to the West, he would appreciate it, many do not sadly.

The Christine Dam is a bit harder to locate, but here we go. From Hi-75 go West on Co 30 over the Red tell you get to the FIRST Major gravel road headed NORTH. Fallow that road as it snakes along the Red about Oh..3 miles. When you see a very nice restored farm home just to the EAST on a sharp bend take the DIRT/MUD road along the trees up to the Dam. That road can be a slimy mess if wet, be warned! It is not a long walk in if it is a slop hole so if you have a 2-wheel drive and it is muddy, consider walking in the 100 yards or so, safer. You may bounce off a few trees if you try it when it's very wet, seen the tree scuffs to know it does happen.

If you come from Old 81 just go WEST of Christine tell you find the FIRST gravel road on the NORTH side before the bridge on the Red. Then fallow the same directions in.

Clear as mud Eh?

If you get lost don't blame me.

wink.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

BWGedcatlogobar.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-02-2003).]

Anybody heading out this weekend. I'd love to get out and learn a little about fishing the Red. I used to fish it more but since I got my boat I haven't fished it much. I know it has a great population of big walleyes and since it is open year round I'd like to start taking advantage of it. I live here in Fargo so the river isn't to far. If anyone would like to get out this weekend (sunday) let me know, if not this weekend next will do also. I'd be more than willing to take someone out on the boat in turn for a day on the red, I'm not originally from this area (from New Jersey) so I don't have any friends that like to fish so my dog is my fishing partner but she can't talk to me. I'm always looking for some fishing buddies.

good fishing
fisherdog

Thank you for the information Eddy, and I will not hold you accountable for any stuck vehicles and the like. Thanks again.

Jay

Yikes its gonna be colder than hell this weekend. I do a little shore fishin on the red till the ice goes out fisherdog we could maybe meet up some weekend but I wont be able to this weekend.

Thanks for the invite Deemo, this weekend isn't looking good so maybe next weekend? Let me know if you are going out and maybe we can meet up? Anybody else want to join in, maybe we should all try to get together and fish the Red from shore one day. What do you all think?

Fisherdog
[email protected]

sounds good. Scoot and I have been working on hitting the north dam. But the weather man isnt helping any. I hate to be a weak link but I am gonna hold out till the weather gets above 40. I will post tho when Im sure to go out there.

You may wish to scout the feeder on the ND side for a while.

Remember you CAN NOT FISH THE feeders or rivers of the Red River on the MN side. Line of sight across the mouth feeding into the Red River is the law on the MN side during the Spring Conservation Season.

The ice flow is breaking up on the Red and acting as ice cubes in a drink glass, further chilling the river. The feeders will be first to warm, and first to see some walleye action is my thinking.

Because the flow and the main river is low this spring many feeders will not be a good choice, they are low too. Look for major feeders that have secondary feeders associated and your odds will jump up dramatically.

It will take sun to get the main channel warmed up. Remember stained waters warm faster, so do not be afraid of a little muddy water.

Good scouting!

Ed

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-04-2003).]

Yup-yup.

A feeder is a contributing estuary, or tributary supplying run-off to a main river.

There are 23 or so main feeders on the Red River, counting drainage ditch's, many more.

Say Ed, could you point out a few around the f-m area? Would like to check them out sometime soon.

What is a feeder? Is that like when one river or stream comes into another?

I would recommend you try scouting on the net for locations. Try these links to gain some info that will prove helpful all season long.

Local maps of interest.

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/fargo_geology/mass_wasting/problemmap.htm

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap &newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=&csz=Fargo+ND+58103&Country=us&Get%A0Map=Get+Map

VERY helpful resources to locate prime fishing spots!

http://www.terraserver.com

http://mapserver.maptech.com/terraserver

http://www.topozone.com

These links will open lots of opportunities in the outdoors, for the fisherman or the hunter.

I have a large collection of data that has proved extremely useful as a guide. Once you start researching it gets a bit addictive. In no time at all you will spot a hot spot as soon as you look at a map or a air-photo.

I could give specific locations, but you will learn more this way. Plus locate hot spots of your own pretty darn quickly.

Scout away!

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

BWGedcatlogobar.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-05-2003).]

Should i just buy a atlas? It should show all the small roads and I could take it in the truck with me.

Deemo,

You could, but you wouldn't get all of the detailed info that would be helpful- like what you'll find in the links Ed provided. Personally, I'd go with cybersnooping.
Scoot

Ok I will work on it a bit tonight. Some of them seemed to work pretty well.