• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Using planer boards for river presentations?

I'm wondering if anyone has used planer boards to present lures/bait in rivers. Specifically, I'm thinking about fishing from the bank, and being able to place a bait and hold it stationary in a particular area. It would only seem logical to be able to cover substantially more water, without having to quarter cast lures, or rely on lead to keep the bait down. I envision applications for all kinds of presentations, from live bait to stick baits to topwaters...cats, walleyes, smallies & pike (possibly carp?). Any input?

Thanks,
FLB

It is done, mostly to place a bait and snap the release to drop it.

This is done on areas that may have restrictions on how close you can get from shore to a dam. A big deal for big cats on some souther dams.

I tinkered with it, and decided a long rod and a surfcasting reel worked as well, if not better, to get to them hard to reach areas.

• 1 month later...

I have found that in a good current when you are useing several rods, the boards work ok for getting and keeping the out side baits away from the middle ones. the current will hold the boards out to the sides. It takes some patience though.. You can cover more area this way.

good luck

Rusty