• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Night fishing on the Red River

Has anyone tried their skills/luck fishing the Red River in the evening or at night.

A couple of my buddies and I went out yesterday on the Red, north of Selkirk Manitoba, from 3pm-8pm. We got skunked. We had a couple of bites at the beginning then nothing. I had the vex with me and we marked lots of fish throughout the whole water column but couldn't trigger them to bite. We tried jigs of every color, shape and size. We tried salted minnows as well as plastics. We tried rattlin lures, glow lures you name it we tried it. We also tried both jigging and deadsticking. I will be the first to admit that we are not the most skilled/experienced anglers but between the 3 of us we should have caught something. We always catch when we fish during the morning hours.

Was it just one of those times when the fish are non-active or neutral and can't be enticed to bite?

Could it have been the weather? It was 0 C last night and there was a warm wind from the south.

I've heard that walleye move in to the shallows to feed in the evening and into the night. Does this hold true for river fishing as well? We were fishing in about 24 feet of water just off to the side of the main channel where the current was a little slower.

The fish are there. On Saturday, another one of my buddies took a friend to the same spot. They fished from 8am-1pm and my buddies friend caught a 30" walleye.

Any advice, suggestion or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I would look shallow at night. I was on the Red tonight way South of you, I found them in 5' hunting the shoreline.

The sand humps back by Sugar Island may be a winner Eh?

You could be right Backwater Eddy. I did notice a few shacks with lights on near Sugar Island (closer to where they moor the float planes in the summer) on our way home. Our permenant shack is closer to the End of Main. I think we'll stay in that area for the big boys during the morning hours. Will take the portable out another time and try shallower water in the evening.

I posted the same questions on the Cat Eye Outfitter Fishing Manitoba Bulletin Board. The responses I got back was that the evening/night bite always seems to be slow on the Red in my neck of the woods.

I guess you will never catch if you don't try, eh?

Thanks for the response and that was a great article you wrote earlier about fishing on the Red.

Good luck and tight lines,

northern blue

Ya know what, if folks tell me I can't catch fish somewhere It just makes it all the better when I do.

If ya don't go, ya never will know...Eh!

wink.gif

Sand bars make great natural funnels. Keep that in mind if you find a sand bar jetting out from the bank that makes a pocket in 5-8' of water after dark. I have ripped jigged Chubby Darters or blade baits so they hit the ice from time to time in 4' of water and the walleye are up in there feeding hard.

I think deep fish are neutral fish at night unless that is where the only food is to be found. Warm weather will pull minnows right up to the bank sniffing around the fresh melt of shore, the eye's key in on this.

Good hunting!

Ed

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Some days are diamond others coal.... if you're persistant you'll luck into a pattern as a friend of mine, D Gaucher, has had the good fortune to luck into.. He's having the majority of his luck just a little south of the end of main just on the lower pivot of the channel in 23 ft using silver or gold whistlers, large live chubs and stingers. The majority of "big" fish (not a lot!) are coming around 11:00 am --- no big fish later on in the day. The majority of fish (saugers or very small walleye) are coming in from 8:00- 9:30 am. All that aside, I really can't see why this pattern can't work later on in the day perhaps at the first drop off in 11-13ft. of water. Hey, if it doesn't happen no big deal...you're fishin' eh!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

Backwtr1 hit it right on the head, "shallow" is the ticket! Having said that don't expect miracles, ice-fishing at night on the Red can be rewarding, at the same time it can send you packing with out much to talk about. It's kind of like fishing during daylight hours lately on the Red, Ha, just kidding!
One important item that you should consider is to pre-drill your holes at your chosen location. Remember you're attempting to catch these fish in very shallow water. The less noise you create the better, that's only my opinion. Here's something that you might consider. We will pre-drill the holes and then cover them with small cut-outs from plywood. These cut-outs help prevent the holes from freezing while they're left unattended. It also works as a safety mechanism for any unsuspecting soul's who might happen upon an open hole after dark. Of coarse this is purely opptional, you decide.
Be versatile, try using lures that were designed to create a little sound or vibration. Rattle jigs, Chubby Darter's, Blades all have these characteristic's.
You will also want to experiment with a much slower presentation, such as a live or dead minnow suspended an inch or two of the bottom. That's the beauty of fishing with two lines thru the ice, it allow's you to cover more options more quickly!

Like I had earlier stated, don't expect miracles, but get out there and give it a shot.

Fish "Hard" Forever!

Dan I too have noticed a trend to a shallower bite.

Is the water still murky up there on the lower Red? It is crystal clear here on my section of the Red.

It is as clear as I ever remember seeing it. But my shallow bite in in early day and late again on into the early evening, then nothing.

Ed

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Great to see ya here Stu, Welcome Eh!
All hail the king of the Red!

Solid tips there folks, yup-yup. Stu McKay is one of them guys who have that 6th sense and when he spills some fishy savvy, I listen real close.

Got a new FL-18 with all the whistles and bells today, pretty neat.

Bad deal is this one belongs to "Cork'n Sucks Bredeson" and not me. I just finished tweaking it out with a few special extras, now it's ready to rock the Red.

Keep us up on what's new in your neck of the woods Stu. Again it's great to see you here on the FM RR forum.

------------------

ed-logo.jpg

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-19-2003).]

No FL-18 for you yet, eh Ed? Me either, not yet. I'll splurge one of these years.
Did you get your other gear in yet? Sounds like that might be a very cool tool for sleuthing out fish in the rivers during the winter.
Once this colder weather passes I'll be heading for some of the spots we've talked about.
Did you hear about a sled that went through the Red recently? I heard something about it when my alarm went off this morning.
Scoot

It will be a few days yet before the new V-U gets here, I hope by Saturday but maybe not.

I tell ya I seen sled tracks right up to the dams on ice that was less then 2" and fast underneath, man their NUTS! Stay clear of them dams and watch bridges anywhere on the Red or the tribs. Most is good, but use your head or get wet, and real cold.

Sunday I am headed out with Big Shanon on a piggy hunt, you free then?

What's there to do in Fisher? Oh, yeah! I forgot about the new mega-mall they built there this last fall.

Have you guys been to the Horshoe Lake post in the St.Cloud area? Sounds like they're catching cats through the ice there. Sounds like a hoot! Maybe some nice Saturday in February we all could go, eh Scoot?

MJ

MJ,

I think you meant "horse ho", that's what they call a mare who really gets around grin.gif
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm hoping to stumble into some piscato around here pretty soon too. If I do, I'll give you a shout and maybe you can sneak over here for a weekend eve. I think you might dig this river snooping stuff. Ed's taught me a lot of cool little tricks in just a little time on the water.

Ed, I heard a little more about the sled that went throught he ice. Apparently a kid drown while on his snowmobile. A group of them decided to turn around while under a bridge. I guess they heard a large crack from the ice giving way and "gunned it". When they turned around they found they were one sled and person short and there was steam coming from the water. I guess they haven't found the body yet. Really crappy deal- I feel bad for the kid and family.

A good reminder for not taking any risks on ice- be careful out there.
Scoot

Ya, bad deal. I caught it on KFGO and also hear they are searching with Aqua-Vu's to locate the poor kid. If this is just S of Con then they may have a tough time for several reasons. Deep holes below, and lots of hang-up's. The water clarity is about 6' with a camera so they are doing a grid cinch down stream from the bridge.

Sad deal, stay clear of bridges folks!

The flow and the salt run off from the road above eats the ice away, even in these colder temps.

My condolences go out to the family of this young man.

------------------

[email protected]

ed-logo.jpg

I'll be up in Fisher on Sat. and back sometime in the early afternoon on Sun. Don't know when you're heading out, but maybe I can meet up with you fellas. I bet Mr. Corkin' Sucks will be happy to get his new '18, eh?
When you heading out?
Scoot

Ed,

It's not looking too good for me getting out with you tomorrow. I think I'll be stuck here doing in-law stuff- yeeeha! I'd much rather do inlaw stuff than fish (or so I'm trying to convince myself).
Good luck,
Scoot

The last couple of days were good, today you didn't miss anything Scoot....nothing at all.....very slow.

Not sure if the front shut them down or what?

Going to get cool this week, too dang cool I think?

The new FL-18 with the 12deg transducer is sweet, no place to hide.

Catch ya here, or there,........><sUMo>

Ed

------------------
ed-logo.jpg

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-19-2003).]

Ed,
Just curious, but how far south of Fargo were you trying on Sunday? I have a lot of people coming through my yard to get on the red and was curious if it is you or Scoot heading down there?
CWEB

Tried Jamestown Res this weekend and nothing...Plan on trying the Red Wednesday again...see how it goes.

Wasn't me, cweb. My guess is it wasn't Ed either as I know he's really good about asking for permission. I have yet to get on the Red this winter. I've just fished the tribs a little bit with Ed. I'll get out soon though.
Be sure and give us a report on Wed. to let us know how you did. If you do get out, DRESS WARM!!! The forecast for this week is cold, cold, cold. Tomorrow it's supposed to be about -400 degrees below zero (may be a small exaggeration).
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 01-20-2003).]

cweb

Where we were we accessed from public land and nobody else was near, for miles.

Scoot is right, I go out of my way to be sure I get land owner permission prior to wondering around. It's just plain the right thing to do as I see it.

Most of the time I do not fish where many others do........I hide.

smile.gif

Ed

------------------
ed-logo.jpg

Not a single concern about asking permission. I just read these posts and was hoping to run into you guys so I could put the face with the posts! My place is about 50 yards north of where the Wild Rice dumps into the Red.

Cold as hell tonight- anyone for some fishing? Ed, I'm looking for an excuse to not stay at home. Feel like freezing your butt off? I can bring a house and a heater if you're interested.
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 01-22-2003).]

As apealing as that sounds Scoot, I'll pass tonight. wink.gif

I am kinda up to my neck in something right now so it is a darn good time to stay indoors as I see it.

Ya-ya...I'm a weinnie.......I hear ya!

grin.gif

The end of the week sounds MUCH more inticing to me.

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-22-2003).]

Yeah, I hear what you're getting at. I'm just getting antsy and sick of being stuck indoors. Anyone with any brains wouldn't even bother for a few days, but no one ever called me too smart. I just may give it a shot tonight by myself. I might go the first spot we ice fished a river together and snoop more in some of the wood. I know you said you couldn't find a "clean" spot to fish, but there must be a hole in that lumber somewhere. I'll give it a go if I get too cooped up. If not, maybe later this week.
Scoot

Too cold- I pussed out. Looks like the wife is yanking the leash on me this weekend and I'll be in the Cities until Sun at Superbowl time. Maybe Mon.
Scoot

Hardcore is one thing, NUTS is another deal Eh, wise move Scoot!

I spent a hour trying to get my #$^ garage door open today.........man that Ticked me off...RRRR....Woof! A roller cracked and the door bound up the track, what a pain!

It was a sign from my higher power, go back inside you moron, it's COLD.

grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-23-2003).]

Ed, interested in getting out on Thursday? I can bring the bait and the pizza! I'd still like to go on that milkrun you mentioned.
Scoot

I'd like to say I could join you, but I have class until 6:15 then we're entertaining for a while tonight. Let me know how the looking goes. How are you liking the camera so far? Sounds like visibility has been good so I'd guess it's been good. Have you been looking after dark? If yes, how different is that from looking when there's decent light?
Any recent developments on the Eddy-do thingy? I've asked a couple of guys about it and got pretty encouraging feedback. Some were thinking bigger and more (mostly in-house fisherman), but with the same basic idea. Some liked it exactly as-is because of its small size and easy portability.
Let's keep in touch about Thursday- I'm getting sick of being inside. I need to get out and breathe some cold air to feel alive!
Scoot

Burrrrrrr.......wind...cold.....Burrrrr!

Didn't get much covered today Scoot, wet wind got to me and I whimpered out fast.

The "Do-Thingy's" are gaining some interest, yup-yup. wink.gif Got a few in the hands of some Boys from Brainerd this week. Plus a couple in SD and WI, they are getting a workout. Fine tuning some details that I didn't like too much, new mounts and stuff. I eliminated a 1/2 size because it was not working out as I wished. Tried a few new colors and still find the ones I showed you to be the most useful and workable.

So far..AH...MMMMMM???....looks good. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-28-2003).]