• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Scoot

What's the latest on the Red up North?

Scoot

Any up to date reports on fishing in the Selkirk area? Dkiazyk, Canuck, Stu, Ed, anyone know what the deal is?
Scoot

Snowman

Scoot -

Unrelated to your post, but could you shoot me an e-mail? Thanks!

[email protected]

northern blue

I haven't been out yet. My buddies and I are heading out on Thursday to set up our shack and try our luck. According to the posts on the Fishing Manitoba Bulletin Board the fishing is slow. Some big ones are being caught here and there between Selkirk and the End of Main. The ice is reported to be 14-16 inches thick and people are driving on it.

Slow Scoot, very s-l-o-w.

I just spoke with the Cat man and the boyz at the end of the line today, they all said it was very slow.

The @%# $%^%@ ^^#@#%^ gill nets on the Red are not helping too @#% much! PO'd folks Eh!

Water clarity is poor, it got murky this week, that doesn't help either.

If it turns around I will shoot ya the scoop as soon as I get it Scoot.

Scoot

Thanks for the scoop- not what I wanted to hear, but thanks!
It looks my next two weeks are pretty much fishing-free. I'll get out a time or two to try for a deer still, but it'll be 2003 before I fish again.
Let's go snoop around on the rivers after my little hiatis.
Scoot

Well the Red has been slow for the most part for me this hardwater season. I've had two good days for fourteen full day forays.... I've fished with some pretty patient folk to say the least.
Ed has reported very well on some of the issues (we need a political change as well!).... I'm hoping the bigger picture is something cyclical in nature.
As an aside, I've had great days on Lake Manitoba for Perch and lake Dauphin for 3-5# 'eyes and Clear lake for good size whitefish and Pike.... but they're not the bodies of water you want to hear about.....

Well, I want to wish this fishing community a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

Scoot

I haven't heard anything so I assume it's still slow up north. Is this assumption correct?
Scoot

northern blue

According to the posts on the Fishing Manitoba Bulletin Board the bite appears to be picking up. Some decent sized eyes being caught here and there on the Red between Lockport and End of Main. It appears that the sauger bite is hot right now at Lockport.

Catmendo

Things have deffinately picked on the lower Red, but not for everyone. The guys that are having the most success are fishing extremely light presentations. 1/8 oz. jigs in twenty to thirty feet would have to be considered as light. But the tactic's is working nobody can argue that.
Obviously your have to try and match the line with this light of tackle, four pound test seems to be the ticket. two pound test thru the ice is hardly an option and six pound test with a 1/8 jig in twenty plus feet, again not much of an option.

There's a group of us heading out this coming Sunday, not sure if were going to hang around Lockport and harass the sauger or head north of Selkirk in pursuit of maybe a trophy?

Fish "Hard" Forever!

Stu McKay
www.catsonthered.com

Stu if light and thin is the deal. See if you can find a spool of the 1/8 PowerPro. That stuff is great in rivers, thin as frog hair, very tough too.

I have seen a huge difference in what I can do with lighter tackle in the flow when using the 8/1. They also have another new size, the 4/15, if you want to have a bit more muscle. I find the 1/8 very tough, I think far stronger then 8.

This stuff really has impressed me! I like FireLine, but Eh, this stuff is dang good.

Tip on the PowerPro 1/8...not listed in any catalogs that I've seen, but some retail stores have it...sweet stuff.

FLB