• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Slow fishing it was but it was fun all the same. Great to meet your friend, and we will have to get out abain soon.

I caught 1 Goldeye after you guys left, then I split too. Seen very few fish on the Vex shallow or deep. Time to wonder I think?

Scoot I will try to have that "Eddy Do-Thingy" ready for you on the next outing.

wink.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Yep, the catching was a little slow, but both Steve and I don't need to catch fish to enjoy time on the water. Had fun. It was a beautiful night.

Both Steve and I fish with enough people to get a lot of feedback on the Eddy-do. I'll try it out for ya, no problem.

Sounds like the wife gets me tonight and we're cleaning deer this weekend at home. I'll try snoop around some of the spots we spoke about next week and I'll get back to you.
Scoot

Tried the 23' hole S of CL on the Red today, by da-farm.

Lots of Sum-eye and I managed to bring home 20, or so, for the kittys. wink.gif

Gobs of fish in that area for sure. No walleye on the ice, left at 6:30 for home.

Water was very clear and the ice was 8-10" on average. Slow flow, not too bad at all.

Interesting spot Scoot!

Sounds interesting. Even if no eyes it must have been fun stocking up for the cat season with some action. Was it just mooneyes or did you find anything else (I know you said no walleyes)? Even if it was a miss as far as eyes, it sounds like fun.

I forgot to ask, what depth should I be looking for around the bends on the trib that we talked about me trying? I'd guess if I could find 8 feet I'd be doing great, but is that more than I'll find?
Scoot

If the trib was the one you had fished before, maybe 8', but more like 6 or 7'?

On the Red I caught a mixed bad, sill searching for Miss Piggy and her crew. Getting closer I think? wink.gif

No, I'm referring to the trib to the north that we discussed. We'd agreed that it had higher flow thoughout the year and in the fall. Approx the same for depth I'm looking for?
Scoot

Ahhhh..that one. It may have 12 -14' spots on the bends? I think 10' would be a cinch to locate in that last 3-4 miles.

You should have seen my electronics on this spot I found today on the Red. 26' deep and fairly calm, the bottom 12' was a solid mass of fish, a catfish pod. They were not in a mood to feed and I only caught 3, 2 I snagged. When they do turn on it will be a hoot Eh!

They where so thick that when you jig there the jig falls like a pinball in a pinball machines, bump-bump-bump off their backs on the way down. That is thick!

Very cool! Wish I coulda been there to see it. I tried to talk Steve into snooping around that trib tonight, but I think he got a "no" from the "war department". Maybe tomorrow- weather looks great.
Scoot

I'm going to try get out tomorrow late in the afternoon. Steve and my bro are trying to join me, but I have my doubts about them. Interested, Ed?
Scoot

Ed,

I went where I said I was going to and found that the flow is the lowest I've ever seen it. I was very surprised to see that the water was down as much as it is. The deepest I saw was five feet.
I think you were right with the tribs not being high enough (maybe). I'll be pestering you for info about where I should be hitting the Red. Any chance of getting out tomorrow night (Wed.)? I think I have a free pass.
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 01-07-2003).]

They may be there yet, if this is the WR-N they may be up farther too?

I did well last night on the Red, eye's. Found them in 5' near wood, very near wood.

This afternoon I have a client, so wed will not work. Unless you want to hire a guide today too? You bring the bait and I may cut ya a heck of a dell Eh. smile.gif

The Buff N & S arm may be a good place to check too? Get the Tera-Server fired up and scout it Scoot.

I have a hunch this weather has the walleye feeding?

FYI- The feedback from the big wigs that seen the "Eddy Thingy" was I quote..."This is Cool...Very Interesting!" Humm...sounds good? wink.gif

Ed

Good work on finding 'em- better than I could do. I was on the Buffalo S. last night. I actually was pretty near wood too, a good looking snagpile on a sharp bend that I figured would be deep. However, it wasn't deep anywhere I drilled and I didn't mark anything. Like I said, very low flow. I saw rocks and stuff that I've never seen before, even in the fall when the water has been down in recent years.

I'll stay away and let you do your thing today. I don't want to muscle in on you and get in the way of things. Tonight is probably my last go until early early next week (I think I'm heading up to LOW this weekend).

I agree with the Eddy-do thing. I think it's got good potential and hope it works out well. I know I'll get one when I can, and from what I've seen, I have nothing but good things to say about it. Have you had it in a house (I can't remember if I asked you that when we fished last)? I'd like to see how it performed in a house. This would be a big deal to a lot of guys.
Scoot

Hopefully 8 will turn into 800! You never know, word travels fast. Like I said, I'll talk to a few guys and see what they think. You already have Slevee's (Steve) opinion on it and I'll run it by a couple of other buddies of mine and see what they think.

Do you know of any resource that offers information on all of the major obstructions on the Red and it's tribs? I'm looking for dams and the like. It would be nice if this info was offered on a map.
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 01-08-2003).]

I found a new place that has maps.
www.terrafly.fiu.edu

You can also buy maps from the USGS, not too cheap though.

I looked long and hard to find maps of the Red, not easy to find. This Terrafly deal is full of info and the photos are not bad. It takes a few minutes to get a hang of how the deal works.

Eh, we had a underwater camera out today, man did we see the kittys, and drum, and a few other things too. The river is so clear you could see the cats great in 24'. Very cool!

Man, that sounds cool. I never even thought to bring a camera along. I just figured it would be too silty. Now that you mention it, last night I couldn't believe how clear the water looked in the holes. I've got a spot or two on the Red in mind that I'm going to give a shot in the next couple of weeks. A couple of corners that I've had luck at in the spring that have some of the features that you told me about and wrote about. I'll give you a hollar next week and see if you're interested in joining me.
I'll grab Steve's camera and see what we see when I go down.
Scoot

Sounds to me like you've got yourself a milk-run planned out. Not the milk-run time of year, as I recall, but what the heck- I'm up for it.

I'll give you a hollar early next week and we'll go from there.
Scoot

Ed,

What's Wed. looking like for you? If the weather's tolerable, I'm thinking about heading out that night.
Scoot

Scoot I will give you a call. I may have a new tool for the search and locate walk-about on the way. Can you say smile kittys?

After a couple of days of this -whatever weather anything above 15 will feel tropical.

Sounds good.
You're right- this weather is a bummer. I haven't seen a forecast, but I don't have a lot of desire to fight below zero weather outside right now. Let's see what the forecast brings, eh?
Scoot