• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I saw a few guys fishing on the Bois de Sioux the last couple days, not sure if they are catching anything. I checked the ice today about a mile south of the Breck/Whap bridge, and there is a good 5 to 5 1/2 inches of solid ice. set up some tip ups on Thanksgiving, but only got one bite in the hour or so i was down there. Looking forward to trying the river, and lakes out this weekend.

Most of the better walleye action usually is at night on the Sioux.

Try a glow green rocker minnow jig tipped with a large whole minnow. Hooked them throught the back just under the skin facing the head. Rig that on your tip-up and then jig a flash spoon near by.

A good flash spoon is the glow pink Angal Eye or a Gold Kastmaster tipped with a pinched off minnow. Another very good option is a Glow Green Nills Master Jigging shad or a junior Chubby Darter in Gold/Orange. You can tip the hook with a small minnow head or do as I do and smash a minnow and smear it on the Chubby Darter, that way you do not mess up the action of the lure.

The area you were in sounds about right to me too. wink.gif Look at sharper bends to the South too.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Ed,

Have you checked any of the tribs. around here for ice yet? I thought of snooping around, but I haven't had anyone to snoop with and after I went through a couple of years ago I learned a valuable lesson. I doubt I'd be here today if I handn't had a buddy and a rope with me that day. As you can imagine, I'm a little gun-shy these days after that experience.
If I don't get out this weekend, I'll do some snooping pretty soon. I fished in the DL area last night with little success. It was sure nice to feel the thump on the end of the line though.
I'm ready to bring the pizza if you're ready to meet up.
Scoot

Yup Scoot, been out some.

I checked out the bend we were frog fling'n at yesterday, just briefly. Just behind that bar it is 12' and there be fish there for sure. May even be a large pod of cats? Odds are there will be a stray eye or two hanging around. wink.gif

The ice there was thick, just do not assume it is safe everywhere. The flow is low and that helped the freeze.

I also tried the WR, fewer fish there then last season so far. I have more areas to try yet.

Did you get my scoop on that other bite? Man, ya know I want to go BAD! You should see the pics I got last night from them, UF-DA!

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

Yeah, I'd love to get up there too, but I doubt it'll happen until near Jan. 1. I know now is the time to be there, but I can't swing it.
I just may try a night over at the bend we fished together- I'll give you a hollar if I'm going to head out there.
Scoot

Tonight's going to be doubtful for me. However, if you punch an extra hole or two you never know if I'd stop by or not.
Scoot

I may see ay there tonight. Heat wave, going to be nice!

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 12-09-2002).]

Ed,

You give it a go last night? How'd you fare?
Wanna meet up over there tonight and give it a shot? I'll bring the pizza.
Scoot

You name the time- you've got a better handle of when to be there by.
What do I need to bring and what type of pizza do you like? Also, do you know if O'douls dark beer will be any good after 6 months of storage???
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 12-10-2002).]

I'll eat whatever I get, I am not too fussy. And the O'douls dark beer should be fine as long as you didn't store it in the back window of a Buick LaSaber all summer. smile.gif

Last night things stayed much as you seen them when you stopped in, the lookers just drove me nuts is all.

The WR may be a better choice tonight if we go?

I'm in. I'm sure I'll be going buggy in the office by mid-afternoon and want to get the heck outta here. I'll probably go, whether you do or not.
If you're up for it, let me know- name the time and place and I'll see you there.
Scoot

I am headed to the WR, the bridge W of 81 area we chatted about last night. We may try the other one too is things do not pan out? Look for my rig.

If you get a chance Scoot grab a dozen minnows on the way.

Too nice to sit inside Eh.....I'm ota-here........><,,>

Ed,

Where'd you go? I showed up with minnows, O'douls, and a little snack. I fished at the spot we talked about, but couldn't find the deeper water I thought was there. I fished in 5' and found lots of goldeyes. Nothing ever showed up that I thought might be a walleye. I didn't venture down to the further spot you told me about there- I figured I'd wait and get details from you or go with you some evening.
Did you get out? If yup, how'd you do?
Scoot

I was at the WR bridge near the Interstate tell about 7 then I wondered East looking for you. We must have missed each other some how Eh?

That is all I found too was Goldeye, very few of them too.

With the low flow on the Red I may try checking the ice South of Fargo. I have one spot in particular I am very interested in, if it is safe? I will see if I can get permision to access it and check it out. I will let you know if it looks safe & fishable.

Sorry I lost ya last night!

Those Goldeye are kinda fun to catch on the ice though arn't they? Scrappy buggers Eh.

No sweat on not meeting up- such is life. If you need somebody to tag along for checking ice, I'll help out no problem. Be careful, I went through the Red a few years ago and it wasn't fun.

The spot I fished- I only found 5' of water. There's deeper water than that there, isn't there? I snooped around a little, but didn't wander much since I was by myself. I was just on the East side of the bridge, just before it necks down and gets really shallow.
Scoot

Hey snowman,

Where do you live and what do you do? Maybe we'll get out some day this winter. Keep your eye on this board.
Scoot

Hey Scoot or Ed, anytime either of you need a fishing or scouting partner let me know! All of my "partners" have kind of dried up lately and I've got no one to fish with, but plenty of time. Most days I can be off work by 3, nad I don't have to be back until 7:30 the next morning!

P.S. Scoot - good luck up at LOTW this weekend, I searched in vain for someone to go last weekend and I am very envious! Have fun!

Pat Jilek
"Snowman"
[email protected]

Keep your eye's peeled Snowman, I am always wondering about the rivers. We are sure to bump into each other sooner then latter.

Scoot is pretty sharp too, he has a few spots up his sleeve too Eh.

With weather like this we may see a bite yet on a local dam, on open water, maybe?

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 12-13-2002).]

Snowman,

Don't let Ed fool ya, I don't know diddley-poo compared to him. I know a little, but I've got lots yet to learn.
Scoot

Scoot,

I live in West Fargo and I am a stockbroker, at least for the moment. If this market continues this way much longer... let's just say I may have a lot of time to fish and a good reason (food!) to do it. Feel free to give me a call and introduce yourself sometime, I'm in the book!

Pat Jilek

Scoot, I think I found somthing kinda interesting Eh?

One of them "Spots" I wanted to get on shows gobs & gobs of fish, a mixed bag for sure.

I fished it tell from about dark to about 9 tonight, seen fish steady, lookers. Maybe I should try live bait Eh? LOL!

I think I will get some minners and see if them lookers turn to hookers.

The hole/backwater is 12-15'...Ah-huh...yup-yup.

smile.gif

I don't know if you're still up, but I'd meet you there in the morning if you're interested. If not, I'm out for about a week or so. Sounds like we're leaving tomorrow at about noon and won't be back for a week or so.
Assuming I don't hear from you- yeeha! Good sluething, man. I've been trying to get back out, but haven't had much time. Works kicked my butt a little bit and lots to prepare for X-mas.
I'll give you a hollar when I get back in this neck of the woods. I hope to have gobs of venison when I return.
Scoot

I wished I seen this last night, ya know I may have went out this morning too, if I had live bait I would off fur shure....yup..yup.

I know of another spot with the same caracteristics, farther S & W of this one?

It is getting about time to stock up on some piggy-chow for spring too. I love ice fishing them SUMO slab Mooneye, they are a HOOT as well as a chalenge.They are as fussy as a crappie but they hang in current so ultra light jigs are not the best way to go, tricky critters.

Well I will keep my eye on it and let you know wazzzzzzzzuuupp when you return. I'll take some pic's.......maybe. smile.gif

Say Howdy to you Dad and your Bro from me and have a safe and Happy Holiday Scoot.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I'll pass along the message, Ed. I'll give you a hollar when I'm back around there. Merry Christmas to you and to all.
Scoot

Good news/bad news Ed,

The bad news is I won't be fishing around here for a few more days. The good news is because I'll be up at LOW fishing. Maybe later this week we can wet a line together.
Catch ya later, man.
Scoot

Eh, the only bad news is I can't go with!

The fish will still be here when you get back. So far nothing too wild to report, Mooneye madness is about it. Couple dinky eyes, a stray cat, preaty slow.

Good luck up North!

Ed

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I might be able to sneak away tonight if you're interested, Ed. If you are able to, let me know and I'll see if I can get a pass from the boss.
Scoot