• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

For the deal shoppers I see Scheel’s in Moorhead has stripped the shelves of many good cranks and replaced them with ice fishing gear.

I seen some great deals on Ripsticks, Reefrunners, Bombers, Smithwicks, and more.

Not just this years flash in the pan Junk, or Rapala’s Boo-Boo's, but good cranks!

I do a lot of my crank shopping in late fall, some very good deals to be had.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red

Thanks very much for the heads-up. This kind of information can save some folks 100's of dollars!

Just as an aside, this past week's bite on the Red and Winnipeg rivers really hasn't changed much. Somedays are diamond others are coal. I'm personally catching more on the jig than the crank, but I'm sure looking forward to that one magic cranking day !

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dkiazyk (edited 10-17-2002).]

That may help? Lets hope so.

You may have seen this dkiazyk but I think it has good input to what may be going on on the lower Red.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I have been reading a number of posts regarding angling on the Red and Winnipeg rivers this fall and I would like to pass on some observations about what has been happening to date.

The fall, greenback walleye fishery is important to the province and yet, as much as we would like to know all about why this unique fishery occurs, we do not have all the answers. However, we do know that the migration of large (mostly female) walleye in the fall into these two larger rivers is partially due to fish seeking food in a pre-spawn, pre-winter feeding "spurt". We have also observed that the amount of activity may be related to flow levels as fisheries managers will agree, flows are an important factor in attracting fish.

In looking at flow levels over the past years, it is evident that flows this year on both rivers are at, or slightly below (Red River), average and this has been the case for the past three years. If those who fished the rivers in 1999 and experienced the incredable fishery that year, I can tell you that flows were significantly higher than the average. This corolation was also made for earlier years when Master Angler registrations were compared to flow rates. This may be one of the reasons that the Winnipeg River may be more consistant than the Red as it is controlled by hydro electric dams and flows are more consistant.

In addition, Lake Winnipeg has experienced a tremendous explosion of rainbow smelt over the past ten years. Walleye have responded well in terms of growth rates but this too may have affected their migratory patterns. Why move great distances for food when there is lots where you are??

However, one thing has been consistant through great angling years and poorer ones. The commercial net fishery on Lake Winnipeg has been around for about 100 years. Catches on the lake over the past number of years have been good, primarily based on some strong year classes since 1995. The fishermen in the South basin primarily use 3.75" mesh nets and target smaller walleye as prices for them are better. There is very little market, if any for larger fish and very few fishermen target these fish. Yes, they set nets out from the mouth of the rivers but have to be at least one mile out. The number of nets set at the mouth of the Red appear to be no greater than other years. This commercial fishery is very valuable to the province, generating many millions of dollars annually and employing a significant number of people.

As for domestic netting, First Nations people have the constitutional right to fish for food for their own use. The Red River sees a small amount of this activity and the Winnipeg River significantly more. Nets must be marked and fish cannot be wasted. Conservation Officers regularly check nets to ensure compliance.

In summary, we think that we are experiencing a near normal year based on existing flow conditions. Unfortunately these fisheries cycle and not all years can match 1999 - we wish they would for obvious reasons. We do not feel that the fishery is under undue stress and we will continue to monitor it.

I hope the above has been helpful. If it is any consolation, a recent check with other major river fisheries has shown all are experiencing a slower fall. Tobin Lake in Saskatchewan, the Rainey River in Ontario, the Mississippi and the Red River at Fargo, as well as our own, are all showing the same type of results. But who knows, things may change over the next few days/weeks.

Should you have any further questions, please contact me at 204-945-7811. Thanks for your time and "space".

Carl L. Wall
Angling program Manager
Manitoba Conservation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]