• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Jay R

Here is a question for Backwater Eddy. Catfish on cranks??? I was at orwell dam last week and caught several cats on Rapala fat raps and a rapala jointed. I thought this was really a strange event. Furthermore a friend of mine his dad caught a 7-8# cat on a #3 mepps Algia. We were fishing just below the dam and further down stream by the parking area. The smallmouth action was great, also a few pike and a couple walleyes. The walleyes were small 11-14". Eddy would be curious to hear your comments about cats on cranks. "Cats on Cranks" has a nice ring to it maybe a possible magazine article for you Eddy????

Jay R

Cats are more then willing to hit cranks in most clear water situations, especially near a dam.

A cat has great hearing and sense of smell but poor eyesight in comparison to other game fish. If conditions are right, as in clear water, cats can and often do feed more like predators.

When they expect the available food to be flowing bye or swimming bye they set up in the current to ambush prey. Often under these conditions lures often thought to be walleye or trout presentations will produce catfish and exciting action.

Don't forget jigs and plastics under these conditions. Shads body’s, stick baits, or tubes on jigs can be a hot ticket, try crawfish colors or white.

Remember cats are very adaptable and not a scavenger, they are omnivorous.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 07-30-2002).]

fiskyknut

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 06-27-2003).]

DARK30

I've been crankin cats there for a long time. My wife Sandy's family is in Fergus and when we visit...Thats where I end up.

The tailrace area has changed alot over the last few years but the fishing is still good. Those Channels seem to love the crankbaits as do the smallies,northerns,walleyes, and goldeyes too. Like Ed said..The clear water allows the catfish to sight feed and do become very aggresive at times.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Jay R

Thank you Eddy for the information. Your color choice was right on the money I was using a red/white jointed Rap that gives alot of vibration and I caught most of the Cats on that bait. Of course I lost the darn thing in the rocks, you need to be ready to lose a few cranks at Orwell. Thanks again.

Jay R

If you can find them try using the chubby rattln Thin-Finns.

I also have good luck with the rattle trap styles near the dam on cats as well as walleye. The Millinnium Rattle Shads should be just the ticket, especially the bluegill and crappie imitators. Wee Rebels in HOT crawfish work great too!

smile.gif

ED

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html