• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am looking at planning a catfishing trip around mid-August. About 4 years ago I referenced my library of In-Fisherman magazines and found an article that was interesting. I beleive the man's name profiled in the article was Toad. He made reference to a resort by the name of Catfish Haven in Dryden, ND? It sounded like fun so me and a buddy booked a trip there and caught some huge cats. The biggest being in the lower 20 pound class. We caught some beauties all ranging from 10 pounds and up. If I recall correctly our average size fish was around 10-15 pounds. We were using shrimp, frogs, and cutbait. Shrimp was killing 'em. I made another trip back to Catfish haven in search of another 20+ cat. The trip was unsucessful in my eyes. I will have to admit fishing was good but we didn't catch near as many nice ones. The average was way smaller. They would have been good eaters. I think the main reason is I forgot the electronics and never was really able to find the holes and get on top of them. I was fishing blind, hitting the bends in the river and the straights. Is it that much of a factor that you have to be on the holes or was it an unlucky weekend. Other questions I have are these. I am wondering if this resort is still running and if this is a good place to still find the 20+ kitty. I am not sure where you are based out of Eddy? and where you fish the Red? What are some good techniques and baits to use when fishing cats. We used a basic egg sinker, with a lindy style rig set-up with a circle hook. Both times I have been out there shrimp seem to be the ticket. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Butch

You sound like you have a good plan in place and the baits sound about right to me. I would use more cut baits in search for big cats though.

The catfish haven area is not one of my favotate areas of the Red by far but it is a fair section to fish.

Keep in mind that is a tiny section of 500+ miles of Red River, there are many more great spots to chose from.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html